Forum

[Feedback] Experimental Ordnance Cup - Unlocks Discussion

Created 15th September 2010 @ 22:28

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 6 Next »

kuma

Quoted from ups

[…]

That weapon is not fun to play against, since it basically amplifies any damage the enemy team deals. This will result in more passive play imo.

It charges quite slowly though, so I dont think it is that much of a problem usually

It’s basically another advantage/disadvantage thing. It will only promote passive play from the team that doesn’t have the buff banner charge since it’s an additional disadvantage for them. However it should promote more active play for the team with charge, as it’s another factor they can push on.

Whether it’s a good thing to promote pushing for the winning team (as it’s usually the winning team with the charge) is a matter of debate, as you can already say the odds are stacked due to longer respawn timers for the defenders.

Last edited by kuma,

Randdalf

(0v0)

I don’t think unpredictability is a reason to ban something – unpredictability is the corner stone of good tactics, and keeps the enemy team guessing. I think it’s pretty obvious when it’s triggered though, the huge trumpet sound and all. On another note, in 3 PCWs I played recently, I used the Buff Banner, but I never managed to actually use it, it’s a damn hard thing to charge.

choiie

keso

I think teams using the buff banner will have a disadvantage either way – letting the roamer use it forces him to be more passive than he wants to be, and letting the pocket use it leaves him without shotgun. I think it’s very situational and definitely not overpowered.

Wiiking

Quoted from Hildreth

Charge and targe was used, part from the odd hilarious beheading, most part was geniune pointless play, demo suddenly became like a roaming solly and more expendable – I’d allow it simply cos what advantage is it? All it is, is a surprised circus trick.

Crit-cola, whe in saw a scout with it, he seemed to miss me all the time. I see it as balanced if the scout is dumb enough to use it on a head on fight and be the first to get meatshotted, it is 50/50. Otherwise the scout can sneak behind and prepare an attack on the medic….1 shot kills though…hmm?

DH/Gunboats/Buff Banner – Offer something different at expense for something normally handy. Extra 500-550 damage from a shotgun vs ability for soldier to move quicker or ability to cause increased damage per push with a team for the same price.
Direct Hit more damage per hit + projectile speed vs loss of splash damage.

since when did each shotgun shot do 83-91 dmg

blisf

Who was using the pain train, the soli or the demo?

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

imo you’d be better off having a solly with it, demo’s are already scout bait as it is!

Tikcus

Spent most of the time standing on last defending in our 1 map.

Nothing jumped out as being OP, we used buff banner to push out.

I was going to use crit o cola, but never got a suitable opportunity ( I never managed to flank, unnoticed) btw you can’t 1 shot a medic, the crit o cola is a kamikaze weapon, as you are almost certain to die within firing 2/3 shots, In a similar way as a soldier jumping for the medic, you may get the pick, but it’s at the expense of your life (granted not always for a soldier) , however a bit more risky, as 1 hit and you are dead.

When using the crit o cola, I’ve found it of marginal benefit sometimes and others a hindrance, the times I’ve managed to get behind a medic and kill him, I would have killed him anyway, and more times than not a soldier has killed me with 1 shot before I could fire the 2 shots needed to kill the medic, the loss of the pistol is a major problem, in situations where you are not behind (most of the time).

Bonk juice has limited uses, but it is a situational and it is useful.

I’ve never experienced any problems with other teams using the buff banner, I just treat it the same as a team running the KK, and don’t all stand in a group when they are pushing, and I try and focus that soldier as early as possible in a fight, minimising his chances of using the weapon.

Never had an real problems with TDH at close range (playing scout) it is a bitch, but at medium to long range the lack of splash makes it alot easier to deal with, than a standard RL

The FaN inferior to the Scatter gun on most maps, makes using a pistol essential, as you only have 2 shots, the extra mobility it can provide on badlands can be useful, but overall it’s not my weapon of choice, but no reason to ban it.

Southern Hospitality/Tribalman’s Shiv – both weapons to find spys with, the SH has limited pitfalls in 6v6, since it’s negatives are you take more fire damage, and no random crits, so imo for 6v6 it’s an upgrade (the same as ubersaw for medic, and equalizer for soldier), but there is no reason to ban. The Tribalman’s Shiv is almost a sidegrade weapon the damage reduction on hit+bleed effect is roughly around the same damage as kukri provides in 1 hit, however the kukri may kill instantly, the bleed effect gives the opponent a chance to find a health pack.

Gunboats count the rockets fired, then attack that soldier, side grade at best but could produce some interesting new tactics.

i’ll get to rest later

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

Quoted from kuma

[…]

It’s basically another advantage/disadvantage thing. It will only promote passive play from the team that doesn’t have the buff banner charge since it’s an additional disadvantage for them. However it should promote more active play for the team with charge, as it’s another factor they can push on.

Whether it’s a good thing to promote pushing for the winning team (as it’s usually the winning team with the charge) is a matter of debate, as you can already say the odds are stacked due to longer respawn timers for the defenders.

You could say the same thing for ubers off course. But I agree on the stacking. When you have the upper hand in a game, it is easier to charge the buff banner. So the defending team will face an uber and buff banner without being able to counter.

Last edited by Andee,

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

There’s no problems with any of the unlocks listed. People just get annoyed at having to play against them as it’s a new way they can die, and dieing isn’t fun so they want to limit the number of methods available for the enemy to kill them.

It’s also become an automatic response to say “ffs natasha!!” of “Fking TDH!” even though the weapons often have no effect on the outcome (e.g. you would have died anyway because of bad positioning or being outnumbered etc..).

It’s annoying when you jump and get hit by a TDH rocket. But it’s also annoying when you get killed by splash of a regular rocket that is imposible to avoid, even though the rocket missed you by miles. People don’t complain of the later though as it’s just ‘accepted’ as a standard. Accept that if you get hit in the face by a TDH rocket… it’s what it was meant to do.

kuma

Quoted from Andee

[…]

You could say the same thing for ubers off course. But I agree on the stacking. When you have the upper hand in a game, it is easier to charge the buff banner. So the defending team will face an uber and buff banner without being able to counter.

Yes, it is almost like having uber and kritz at the same time. Is it really necessary for the team with advantage to have both? Just going to make rolls easier and defending from a disadvantage harder.

Tikcus

Quoted from kuma

[…]

Yes, it is almost like having uber and kritz at the same time. Is it really necessary for the team with advantage to have both? Just going to make rolls easier and defending from a disadvantage harder.

if you’re getting rolled, you’re getting rolled

everyone on this forum already complains about weapons that ‘slow’ the game down, now they are trying to complain about a weapon that speeds the game up.

really what you are complaining about is change!

Adapt, you know they are running a buff banner focus him, and you will not have the problem, he’s only got 4 rockets can’t be that hard to kill or his medic (if he is pocket)

Last edited by Tikcus,

kuma

Quoted from Tikcus

[…]

if you’re getting rolled, you’re getting rolled

everyone on this forum already complains about weapons that ‘slow’ the game down, now they are trying to complain about a weapon that speeds the game up.

really what you are complaining about is change!

Adapt, you know they are running a buff banner focus him, and you will not have the problem

what the fuck are you talking about tik, how am i complaining in anyway?

MEGAMIDDIE

What I used – Pain Train, ChargeNTarge
I thought the pain train was reasonable, seemed a bit useless, the extra 10% damage really does hurt, suprisingly. It’s not good for demos at all. The CnT was really unhelpful. Everytime I charged I seemed to end up not actually killing anyone due to their overheal. The loss of stickies was also a huge blow to my overall uselessness.

What my team used – I didn’t ntoice, I was too busy slamming my head on my desk because I was so terrible.

What the enemy used – DH, Sandman, CaC

Extremely rage inducing. One of our scouts kept laughing and making irratating rage noises every time he got 1 shotted by CaC or DH. I didn’t notice the DH being particularly annoying myself. However, I got extremely annoyed when a scout with CaC ran towards me, and then I got sandmanned from 1 side of obscures 2nd to the other. I felt that this was cheap, spammy, required no skill and was unfair as I was unable to react before control was taken away from me completely.
I just don’t feel it was fair at all that somebody had hit me with one projectile, and therefore both me and the medic were dead.

However, I cannot possibly say what they might have been like, had we faced a team who wasn’t at least two divisions above us.

Last edited by MEGAMIDDIE,

Tikcus

Quoted from MEGAMIDDIE

What I used – Pain Train, ChargeNTarge
I thought the pain train was reasonable, seemed a bit useless, the extra 10% damage really does hurt, suprisingly. It’s not good for demos at all. The CnT was really unhelpful. Everytime I charged I seemed to end up not actually killing anyone due to their overheal.

What my team used – I didn’t ntoice, I was too busy slamming my head on my desk because I was so terrible.

What the enemy used – DH, Sandman, CaC

Extremely rage inducing. One of our scouts kept laughing and making irratating rage noises every time he got 1 shotted by CaC or DH. I didn’t notice the DH being particularly annoying myself. However, I got extremely annoyed when a scout with CaC ran towards me, and then I got sandmanned from 1 side of obscures 2nd to the other. I felt that this was cheap, spammy, required no skill and was unfair as I was unable to react before control was taken away from me completely. I just don’t feel it was fair at all that somebody had hit me with one projectile, and therefore both me and the medic were dead.

Spaming requires more than 1 projectile?

I see this more as scout aimed the sandman, hit you drank cac and got his reward for his good projectile aim?

*edit*
if it was 2 scouts, that shows good communication, and a high level of skill to pull that off

if he hit you from 1 side of 2 and you were at the other, were you standing still? if not it was a good predicted shot, what were your scouts doing while their scouts set up this 1 – 2 play?

Last edited by Tikcus,

Taoism

really would like to know what weapons TLR used?

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 6 Next »