Forum

TF2 performance on MacBook pro

Created 19th June 2010 @ 20:14

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

dauk

I’m buying that mac in few weeks too. If you’re not in a hurry you can wait and ill report how it runs tf

Last edited by dauk,

dauk

I just bought a macbook pro 13* and it have only on audio input/output whyck you can chsoose between. It means that i’ll need to search for usb headset?

Grem

rEJ
TG

There is an inbuilt mic which you can use without the need of another mic. If you want you can get a headset and plug it into the audio jack.

psunfragga

cc//

A usual headset mic jack will not work on older macbook pros, and potentially not new ones. It does not give enough power to support it. (Rediculous!) You will need a usb headset.

Penguin_

Quoted from dauk

I just bought a macbook pro 13* and it have only on audio input/output whyck you can chsoose between. It means that i’ll need to search for usb headset?

They use the ones that use a single 3.5mm jack with 3 stripes on them, mic and stereo sound. I use a usb mic playing on mine (PS2 headset from the olden days <3). And whatever you do, don't play in OSX, install XP or win7 for that.

Oh, smcfancontrol at 4500rpm before rebooting solves the heat issues.

dauk

Quoted from Penguin_

[…]
They use the ones that use a single 3.5mm jack with 3 stripes on them, mic and stereo sound. I use a usb mic playing on mine (PS2 headset from the olden days <3). And whatever you do, don't play in OSX, install XP or win7 for that.

Oh, smcfancontrol at 4500rpm before rebooting solves the heat issues.

whats wrong playing on OS X? It’s not that I will play with it alot ,just a couple hours now and then.

Penguin_

Quoted from dauk

[…]

whats wrong playing on OS X? It’s not that I will play with it alot ,just a couple hours now and then.

I lose about 20-30% fps in OSX (9400m in my mbp) compared to win xp, and since rebooting takes like 1 min, I count is as worthwhile

dauk

Quoted from Penguin_

[…]

I lose about 20-30% fps in OSX (9400m in my mbp) compared to win xp, and since rebooting takes like 1 min, I count is as worthwhile

still if its have stable 100 fps as i’m using as max fps it should be fine , but thanks for advise.

Penguin_

Quoted from dauk

[…]

still if its have stable 100 fps as i’m using as max fps it should be fine , but thanks for advise.

Also, I couldn’t be arsed to transfer mouse settings into OSX :P

dauk

Quoted from Penguin_

[…]

well mine mbp has 320M and as the internet says it’s 80% more powerful. p-p-p-p-p-o w e r

dauk

is there a big difference between xp and win7 installed on mac only for tf2

Penguin_

Quoted from dauk

It’s as a normal windows install, pick your preference. You shouldn’t have any problems with either

Tikcus

Quoted from dauk

I can’t speak about Tf2, but in Portal and HL2 E2, there is a massive framrate drop

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3759/mac-os-x-steam-performance-half-life-2-episode-2-still-slower-than-windows

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3726/quick-look-mac-os-x-portal-performance

At the panel’s native resolution of 1280 x 800 the 13-inch MacBook Pro is playable at high quality settings with no AA/aniso. Episode 2 runs smoothly on the portable Mac. Gaming, albeit dated, is possible under OS X.

Boot into Windows however and you get a 54% performance boost. The game goes from definitely playable to butter smooth. In other words, there’s a perceivable difference.

Last edited by Tikcus,

AnimaL

Quoted from Penguin_

[…]

It’s as a normal windows install, pick your preference. You shouldn’t have any problems with either

since macs are shit, u should install xp… w7 has like 10-20% performance drop

Tikcus

Quoted from dauk

don’t think anyone will have tested that, however here’s a link for you to read

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2864/14

basically l4d (they never test tf2) shows a performance improvement on windows 7 over XP (on better hardware though)
it’s your choice, personally if it was playable on OSx and it wasn’t my main/only gaming rig, i’d play it on OSx, if you needed windows for sometihng else, i’d install windows 7 to get all the other improvments over XP

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »