Forum

[S9] Highlander Season 9 Feedback

Created 21st September 2015 @ 15:50

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 ... 18 Next »

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Doesn’t matter what you allow for unlocks, it’s HL there will always be obnoxious unlocks we don’t like.

Try to ban stuff with no trade off, let you think about it…in theory – Short Circuit, what do you trade? A Pistol, ability for Wrangler? So ability to deny projectiles vs stronger Sentry gun vs stronger hitscan capability? Is it a fair tradeoff?

Beggars Bazooka should stay cos you trade off other effective main weapons for short bursts of rockets, which can be situationally effective.

Also Medi Gun pickups, I think you shouldn’t try to change the game Valve are making. The meta right now revolves heavily on ubers in a lot of areas, particularly pushing PL, your medic drops to a sniper as you push say Upward 2nd or 3rd, it can cost you least 1 minute, maybe more. If we allow weapon pickups, it gives you the chance to make uber dropping less detrimental to the game, thus speeding it up. Forget all the “they made a mistake but were not punished cos they had medi-gun pickup” arguments.
With this new mechanic we can adapt the meta game, so if we do get medi-gun drops we can have the team choose to play more aggressively to prevent the pickup or control an area, or trade-off the time they will buy from the drop. It will change how the game will be played, so you won’t have to deal with “Medic dropping, can’t do shit” gameplay. We have people being able to react to the potential for Medi-Gun pickups, so people think more about how this affects the game they can react to it much better.

Also it’s just dumb to ban mechanics added to the game by Valve in an era we’re depending on them to add a Matchmaking feature to develop the competitive scene. Get used to it.

Forty-Two

LOOΠΔ

Kinda agree with the point of the above, though I think the pickups are likely to make games more boring, since a lot of teams will play ‘scared’ and ultra passive, at least at the lower- to mid levels.

That said, the thing I agree with is that at some point I think we’re just going to have to accept it’s a thing and get on with it. No amount of banning things – even if it leads to more enjoyable games – will actually get the game changed. If you’re in this spot where you’re trying really hard with Valve to make ‘normal tf2’ and ‘competitive tf2’ come closer to eachother, it seems to me like the last thing you want is banning the new things they added and pushing competitive further away from ‘normal tf2’ again.

agreed with hildreth

I really dislike banning weapon pickups. I think it’s an interesting mechanic, but besides my opinion on it, unless it completely destroys the game we should roll with it to see how it works out rather than disjointing our community from the main game further

Weapon pickups isn’t optimal right now but if you use it in a season and get a lot of negative feedback and it might make Valve more likely to change it once they see it in action. The nations cup doesnt count.

4hp

I don’t dislike the weapon pickup system as a whole but it’s been proven many times in recent games that medigun pickups (keeping uber %) are bad for the game. They more often than not discourage plays on the medic which are one of the most exciting points of comp tf2.

As for Hildreth’s point I don’t think Valve will listen to feedback gathered from independent comp leagues at this point. They most likely will simply introduce matchmaking and wait for feedback from there. So I don’t think there’s any point in ruining a season of etf2l hoping that it will somehow convince valve to make the changes they need to do.

Last edited by 4hp,

b33p

(ETF2L Donator)
-st-

Quoted from Lazybear

Gravelpits issue has always been that a single drop on b can be a map loss, making the map too reliant on luck and rng compard to other maps in pool where you’d need more than one mistake/play.

Luck? Do you think dropping is probability based? Enemy makes your medic drop, by killing him, because they were given the opportunity by your team.

Quoted from MoistPenguin

[…]

This seems like a very good idea, however I would rather remove sunshine and add gullywash.

^

Quoted from MARS^

[…]

There is a certain distance where you just have to click and spam but most of the time you have to time your cannon for it to doubledonk.

Though, you can learn spots where you don’t need to time anything. This is another reason why it’s so good on viaduct, there are many very safe places to stand which you can hold and simply m1 which will doubledonk players pushing from that area. I’m fine with it staying, it’s frustrating to play against, but so is getting sniped from across the map.

Quoted from Feri

gully instead of sunshine, ashville or coalplant instead of warmtic, borneo instead of barnblitz perhaps?

^

Quoted from Steve!

Gravelpit … Please, if you do decide to keep it, consider putting it very early or very late in the season, to allow the teams to either focus practice on it, or develop good synergy to be able to play it well.

^

Quoted from Toast

Picking up mediguns makes plays like suiciding on first PL points pointless, because the medic can drop and spawn in time to pick the medigun up, before (or just in time) the opposing combo is able to push.

You could either delay suicides until the cart is almost in the position you want to push the point at, or you could send spy/soldier (depending on PL map) to spawn to get the teles.

Quoted from ondkaja

Also, if the other medic dies in a silly spot (like inside the windows on second on upward as attacker), you might actually have room and time to build two ubers at once, which should never be a thing in TF2, ever.

I don’t think this would ever happen in a prem game, but if it did, it would be hilarious.

Quoted from Aoshi

Personally I would like to see Sunshine go out of the rotation.

^

Quoted from DyaWyb

– Allow short circuit –> new ways to use engyneer –> new ideas –> new playstyles –> more fun.

– Keep gravelpit
– Lose process ( personally hate it so much )
– Take gullywash

Yes pls, engie was nerfed so make it fun again.

Quoted from Hildreth

Also Medi Gun pickups, I think you shouldn’t try to change the game Valve are making. … Also it’s just dumb to ban mechanics added to the game by Valve in an era we’re depending on them to add a Matchmaking feature to develop the competitive scene. Get used to it.

^

Lakeside is too sniper heavy. A better sniper in lakeside can literally win your team the game despite arguably being a worse team (prem v d1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hboxvBwFaA). The sightlines are so incredibly good. If we did go on to play lake, I’d bet a tenner now that the 4 teams with the better snipers go on to take the points. I really like to map but it favours sniper most out of all KOTH maps and since it’s such a wide map it can be tough to deal with the sniper (for example you can’t send a soldier over to their batts from yours in a rocket jump or two — ain’t gonna happen — but you can on viaduct, 1 rocket jump in fact from cliff to cliff on via).

Last edited by b33p,

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

You realise it does not matter what we think of Valve or how they have developed the mechanics of a weapon? We can feedback it to Valve but banning it because we don’t like how it “changes” the game we’re used to? Stupid imo, let’s get used to playing their game and stop redeveloping and attempting to balance the game ourselves.

Give it 3 seasons of being allowed, people will get used to playing with it. I have been around a long time when people still argued about using Gunboats and Black Box, no matter what we thought about the weapons then (I was against the black box), it stayed in the game and it’s part of the meta, in 3 seasons we will think the same about the Medi Gun pickups, even in their current format.

Besides think of the future, think 2 years from now when new to comp players are used to playing Valve servers with the mechanic added to the game and then come to competitive TF2 and see it’s been disallowed because “A few years ago when it was added, some people in competitive TF2 didn’t like it so it got banned”. If we’re doing this logic can we ban Pyros?

Honestly, think ahead for once. If we learned anything from history, nothing in this discussion matters regarding unlocks.

And to add: Unlock arguments, forget popular opinion – the decisions should be simple: “Does the weapon have a good enough trade-off? In 98% of cases, I think it does.

Last edited by Hildreth,

Selek

Dr. med.

I get your point, Hildreth. Still, I disagree.

It would all be fine and dandy if Valve would actually balance around our current competitive formats. While I am all for “allow everything if it doesn’t make things bad”, there are limits. Getting a Medic drop is big in most cases and really difficult if the enemy team is competent. Nullifying the drops by simply picking up the healgun again hugely nerfs pick classes (and suicide plays).

Who knows how matchmaking will look like, but right now I don’t see healgun pickups being a good idea. If there will be a no-classlimit 5on5 mode and everyone plays with two Medics and Demos, I hope Valve will see about changing that. It’s the same for Vitasaw or Bombinomicon: nobody cares on pubs, a no-brainer to use them in competitive.

But it doesn’t matter what will be, because we don’t know what it will look like right now. We can still change things at a later date.

Last edited by Selek,

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Selek

I get your point, Hildreth. Still, I disagree.

It would all be fine and dandy if Valve would actually balance around our current competitive formats. While I am all for “allow everything if it doesn’t make things bad”, there are limits. Getting a Medic drop is big in most cases and really difficult if the enemy team is competent. Nullifying the drops by simply picking up the healgun again hugely nerfs pick classes (and suicide plays).

No it isn’t difficult because it happens in every competitive game.
It doesn’t nerf the classes, their actual ability is not being affected, merely the risk vs reward factor of targeting a Medic drop. It’s still a momentum halter, it’s still a key kill to stop a push or help you break a push, but it also will give the options for Snipers/Spies to make different target selection choices based on the impact they will have on the game. And besides, getting the drop allows teams the option of taking the ground to contest the dropped gun and pick it up….

This is called – “A change in meta” – It will not break the game, merely change it in a way that will favour good players who adapt well.

Also we’re not asking for Valve to balance the game here, we have a gamemode that exists and truly tests the balance of all the classes and where they are situationally useful, and we have theories on how they should be played constantly evolving thanks partly to the use of new unlocks valve makes. We should stop trying to balance the game cos let’s face it, in the grand scheme of things we know fuck all about balancing the game, leave it to the Professionals.

Selek

Dr. med.

You got some good points there. Changing metas are the norm in other games and I’m not opposed to changes of the game, the gradual introduction of unlocks into 6s feels really refreshing to me.

I’m still not convinced allowing the pickups is a good idea, but you rightfully said it’s mostly a situation of “I think this way, you think that way”. It will be hard to find the difference between “we played with it, bad idea” (e.g. Vitasaw) and “we played with it, it’s not actually so bad” (e.g. Gunboats in 6s).

Last edited by Selek,

Goreston

I honestly don’t think Medigun pickups are a deliberate part of the game Valve are designing. I think they just didn’t consider comp at all when they added the mechanic. Pickups are disabled in MVM.

Regarding the Loose Cannon, the main problem I have with it is how hard it is to know how to react to seeing the projectile, either as a pyro, or as a medic.

For example, if I’m a fully charged medic and I see a cannonball coming towards me, I could be about to take anywhere from 0 to 141 + fall damage. Should I pop my uber or not?

Another example: I’m a pyro, and I see the cannonball. Has the demo primed it correctly to double donk the medic behind me, or is it about to explode too early? If I reflect it, and it’s just about to explode, I’m going to take 100 damage. If I ignore it, and it kills my medic, then I’ve screwed up.

While I don’t think the Loose Cannon is necessarily OP, I think it brings an element of randomness to the game.

adysky

Beggars:
Sacrificing consistant short range damage for a counter to pyro. Honestly, its just a sidegrade. Only effective if enemy teams medic positioning is bad and heavy cant track mid air targets in case you decide to bomb with it.
Loose cannon:
after the sticky nerf a lot of demomen switched to lc because we are forced to play a lot more around stickytraps. it gives a new ability to push people back. in some situations its better than stock, in some its worse. you are more viable during stalemates because you have space and time to arm your bombs and go for the donks. if you are forced to back off, generaly pills are better because of the instant 100 damage. when DMing 1v1 againts any class, pills are still better than loose cannon. and if pyro/medic mains are refusing to get used to playing againts it (and beggars) they should not have considered playing highlander, this is a place where you get insta killed a lot (eg. snipers,spies).
badwater pro:
no, mentioned plenty of times before, stock is better.
gullywash > any other 5cp
ashvile > warmtic
steel is fine

:ted:

Goreston

if pyro/medic mains are refusing to get used to playing againts it (and beggars) they should not have considered playing highlander, this is a place where you get insta killed a lot (eg. snipers,spies).

Snipers: oops, I walked into a sight line.
Spies: oops, I should have checked my back.

Loose Cannon: huh. It was a double donk this time.

What exactly are we supposed to be getting used to? It’s hard to adjust to such a variable mechanic. I don’t particularly like the Beggar’s, but at least I know how much damage it’ll do to me.

HartzFartz

(ETF2L Donator)
0fo
0FO

Quoted from Goreston

[…]

Snipers: oops, I walked into a sight line.
Spies: oops, I should have checked my back.

Loose Cannon: huh. It was a double donk this time.

What exactly are we supposed to be getting used to? It’s hard to adjust to such a variable mechanic. I don’t particularly like the Beggar’s, but at least I know how much damage it’ll do to me.

Get used to mind sightlines
Get used to check your back when attacking
Get used to not stand in LC spamlines

Goreston

Quoted from HartzFartz

[…]

Get used to mind sightlines
Get used to check your back when attacking
Get used to not stand in LC spamlines

Actually, for the first two, that was kind of the point I was making.

For the last one: ok, fine, so we treat every cannonball as if it’s a double donk, which leads to more passive play from medics, and earlier ubers to avoid getting donked through chokes, and so on and so on. I don’t see why this is a good thing though. All we’re doing is increasing the number of picks needed for a successful push, which slows the game down.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 ... 18 Next »