Forum

ETF2L needs to be more noob-friendly

Created 9th May 2015 @ 01:35

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

torrit

Quoted from RTC

Ducky, do you have to be so self-righteous all of the time? If you’re actively going to debate and defend ETF2L’s current stance, please do it in a way that doesn’t make you look like a bigoted twat waffle, thanks.

Using the tier name “Low” seems a little degrading in my personal view. Open is more inviting towards new players, as in it is open to all players.

I’d agree that the newcomer guide needs to be updated and have more attention drawn to it, especially with the recent influx of new players coming in, and a likelihood for this to increase in the coming months with matchmaking due to arrive.

harsh words from someone whos been here for literally 7 months

Popcorp

http://etf2l.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/banner-hls8-v3sponsors_40.png

I would also recommend using another banner, because that “Sign up now” is quite misleading, just a suggestion.

prof

Quoted from Twiggy

[…]

Good idea, i’m sure if you are in uni your teachers will be pleased to adopt this attitude with you, they’ll save a lot of time for sure.

It’s funny, because that’s exactly how it works. What you get out of the experience is related to how much you’re willing to put in yourself.

The whole recruitment section is a bit confusing at first, but there are resources there for people to use. The kind of people who are jumping straight into commenting on prem player posts with “herp derp i topscore in pubs can i play please” are going to be the kind of people who would just immediately close the FAQ if it flashed up on the screen the first time you visit the site. I really don’t understand why so many people seem to think cluttering up the site for the benefit of that kind of person is so important. Kaneco’s just on the warpath again.

Making a little guide within the help section for how to use the wordpress backend is a good addition to make though. Also popcorp is right, every time I write an article I intend to ask Ygg to make a banner without the “sign up now” and every time I’m too lazy to actually do it. My bad.

Last edited by prof,

Popcorp

Quoted from prof

[…]
Making a little guide within the help section for how to use the wordpress backend is a good addition to make though. Also popcorp is right, every time I write an article I intend to ask Ygg to make a banner without the “sign up now” and every time I’m too lazy to actually do it. My bad.

http://i.imgur.com/lNbrXPf.jpg

Literally 1 minute, Content aware + Clone stamp in Photoshop :^)

firej

Quoted from Popcorp

[…]

http://i.imgur.com/lNbrXPf.jpg

Literally 1 minute, Content aware + Clone stamp in Photoshop :^)

Not everyone got a cracked Photoshop :(

RTC

Quoted from torrit

[…]

harsh words from someone whos been here for literally 7 months

It really doesn’t matter if I’ve been here for 7 months or 7 minutes, if someone is actively being a dick for no good reason, I have every right to call them out on it.

For myself personally, I think the highest priority at this moment in time is to fix up and enhance the newcomer guide. Whether that means it’s a matter undertaken by the staff or by respected members of the community is very much debatable at this moment in time.

Bloodis

(Legend)
(๑╹ω╹๑ )

Newcomer guide might not be that needed necessarily updated immediately as the upcoming season is just about to start now in this week, however it does need to be updated before announcing Season 22 or another cup made for new people. (Archimedes Cup for example)

Last edited by Bloodis,

freshmeatt

‹Con›

With casual players a general rule applies:
The less clicks it takes to get someone through a process, the better.
And from the UX perspective, expecting someone new to the business to be proficient in navigating Wordpress panels may result in low retention.
Walls of text are fine as long as paragraphing is well thought out and major points are sufficiently emphasized so that first timers immediately learn crucial details that will allow them to start playing.
Also, not to be a negative nancy, but I see a lot of people being hopeful about matchmaking. Why do you think it will be any different than tf2lobby?

RTC

Quoted from freshmeatt

Also, not to be a negative nancy, but I see a lot of people being hopeful about matchmaking. Why do you think it will be any different than tf2lobby?

Honestly, my outlook on matchmaking will be that it’s nowhere near as good as it’s being made out to be. Not bad, just disappointing. I think most people will agree that the concept itself is excellent, which is going to draw more people to look into competitive alternatives. Enter ETF2L, UGC and the other various leagues to attract the resurgence of users.

Kaneco

Quoted from prof

I really don’t understand why so many people seem to think cluttering up the site for the benefit of that kind of person is so important. Kaneco’s just on the warpath again.

Apparently giving constructive criticism and actively trying to help people is being on the “warpath”. If that’s all you took away from my 300 word post then I feel sorry for you.

ducky

Quoted from prof

The whole recruitment section is a bit confusing at first, but there are resources there for people to use. The kind of people who are jumping straight into commenting on prem player posts with “herp derp i topscore in pubs can i play please” are going to be the kind of people who would just immediately close the FAQ if it flashed up on the screen the first time you visit the site. I really don’t understand why so many people seem to think cluttering up the site for the benefit of that kind of person is so important.

To be fair, while there are resources that can be used to figure out a multitude of things (forums and admin support come to mind) people do make a valid point by saying that an explanation of the recruitment section is not included in the current guide.

This and some other issues will be fixed in the updated guide (which btw is 80% finished), so the reasonable portion of feedback has been aknowledged and will be implemented.

However access and visibility of the guide itself will remain as it is.

Like you said, it’s the first thing that people get redirected to when creating an account, even if someone was to click it away or wanted to visit it afterwards they can find it incredibly easily through the help tab at the top of every page.

‘Cluttering up the site for the benefit of that kind of person’ is not in our interest whatsoever, no need to worry there.

Kaneco

Quoted from ducky

[…]
‘Cluttering up the site for the benefit of that kind of person’ is not in our interest whatsoever, no need to worry there.

What about showing an infobox on the main page with the guide only for people with no official games recorded, or with less than x official games recorded, or with an account with less than 6 months for example?

sorsa

mooz

Quoted from Nevo

The easiest thing would be to add a “Make a new recruitement post” in the Recruitement tab itself. Would be a lot easier to intuitively click on Recruitement and then see a big button to create your own post.
Add a visual line like “Open < Mid < High < Prem" above the chatbox where you choose your div, no more confusions.

this.

ducky

The updated (and hopefully improved) newcomer guide for 6v6 has been released:

http://www.etf2l.org/help/new

Thank you for your feedback!

RTC

Gave it a glance, looks solid. Will read in more detail later tonight.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »