Forum

[ETF2L] Questions about Swiss Tournament System

Created 17th December 2014 @ 16:51

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 9 Next »

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

We should all get behind this as the reduced number of skill tiers will allow players to rise quicker and progress a rate better for them.

Personally I am still neutral on the Swiss tournament system (pun intended), it remains to be proven to me as my experiences are it is inferior to the Round Robin style we had previously. However, I have an open mind and so we should all give it a try and see how it goes.

Herr_P

IKEA

Quoted from rockie

[…]

apparently because!

Because it’s a mess only rooted in tradition? Every season sees the same tired shit on the forums about teams being in the wrong divs etc etc

If you honestly think that there’s no reason to abandon the old system in favor of a new one – granted, that is if it proves superior or if it just introduces new issues – you need to do a reality check.

Edit: Also name them low – mid – high – prem pls. I miss seeing people searching for “low low” on irc :>

Last edited by Herr_P,

Munky

AEUGH

It is a good time for a change in system. Things have felt a little frayed the last season or two (just due to fatigue of the game) and hopefully this will mix things up and keep them healthy. Also the benefits to the lower end of the divs will be huge.

b33p

(ETF2L Donator)
-st-

WHO WILL TEARS?(sic)

rockie

Quoted from Herr_P

[…]

Because it’s a mess only rooted in tradition? Every season sees the same tired shit on the forums about teams being in the wrong divs etc etc

If you honestly think that there’s no reason to abandon the old system in favor of a new one – granted, that is if it proves superior or if it just introduces new issues – you need to do a reality check.

Edit: Also name them low – mid – high – prem pls. I miss seeing people searching for “low low” on irc :>

So basically what you’re saying is, that only to resolve a stupid and minor issue, such as the wrong placement in a div, “We” just re-organize completely the challenging system, hoping it’ll resolve such a stupid thing, and plus using a system used by a more stupid and boring tournament like ESEA?

And Prem Players why would you even care about this?

Also a +1 for the names, please don’t call them like they are in ESEA, please…

Last edited by rockie,

Deox

wL.
wL.

So winning div 2, 4 and 6 last season was pointless now? Not sure I like the idea of playing in the same ‘Tier’ for 4 seasons in a row. However i’m open to the change so not a huge deal just a bit skeptical.

JoeTea

I like this change, it’ll be interesting to see how it works out.

I can’t really imagine it changing too much in d2/d1 to be honest except for removing a d2 winners medal, however I can see it being a greatly improved system for the lower divisions.

I have friends who are in d4 teams currently and in their brackets they’ve had 3 teams fold. This means that they only got 5 games in total for the whole ETF2L season and speaking from personal experience – this happened to me in season 5 – it made it hard to take ETF2L seriously. With this new change, those teams dropping out shouldn’t be a problem and teams should get a full season of TF2.

I can imagine in lower divisions competition will also be more fierce which is a good thing. I know when I was in lower divs there were always rival teams who we would like to beat except that in the old system, chances were that you would end up in different brackets to your rivals. Also often the lower division brackets are fairly polarised in terms of skill with one team dominating. These problems are also solved now which I think is cool :)

As I said, it’ll be interesting to see how it works, but I’m optimistic even if I don’t foresee this impacting me personally too much. Good work ETF2L!

mana

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from rock

[…]

So basically what you’re saying is, that only to resolve a stupid and minor issue, such as the wrong placement in a div, “We” just re-organize completely the challenging system, hoping it’ll resolve such a stupid thing, and plus using a system used by a more stupid and boring tournament like ESEA?

And Prem Players why would you even care about this?

Also a +1 for the names, please don’t call them like they are in ESEA, please…

Our viewer counts between the ETF2L and ESEA tells an opposite story, for one. And it’s not like the ETF2L are going to put in a big change like this without having thought through the benefits. This is a significant change to how they have to administrate the league as well as changes into the ETF2L codebase. As a professional programmer, you don’t make a change this big without thinking there’s a good chance it will work out.

If you don’t like the ETF2L admins I guess you can go play in, what, UGC? They might cater to your intelligence a little more too.

Edit: -rude /ash

Last edited by mana,

Popcorp

Nice job being rude, mana…

Swiss system can exist, but I think it should have all 7 Tiers, you just combine all same numbered Divs together, except Prem and Div 1 ofc, so Tier 3 (Div 2) has 16 teams, Tier 4 (Div 3) – 24 teams, etc.
And as I said, Tier 4 (Div5&6) should be Sub-Divided like NA UGC – Steel Red and Steel Blu, to prevent huge amount of teams in 1 Tier

mana

(ETF2L Donator)

I’m just trolling, I don’t actually mean offense. That said, I think it’s funny that a joke line from me gets censored (which was crude, to be fair), but rock is literally talking shit about all the ETF2L admins very clearly without any recourse.
It’s not so bad having a large “open” division (whatever the lowest tier will be called). The Swiss system should be fine with that many teams. I know ESEA is not the same league, but, in season 16 (where they had 4 tiers), their Open division for CS:GO had nearly 300 teams. Season 17 they added a new tier (for a total of 5), and their Open division had ~430ish teams. 200 teams will be just fine.

ash

(Legend)
:D

Rock – either you add something worthwhile to the discussion or you shut up.

You don’t need to plaster your opinion virtually everywhere, we noted it the first time.

rockie

Quoted from mana

I’m just trolling, I don’t actually mean offense. That said, I think it’s funny that a joke line from me gets censored (which was crude, to be fair), but rock is literally talking shit about all the ETF2L admins very clearly without any recourse.
It’s not so bad having a large “open” division (whatever the lowest tier will be called). The Swiss system should be fine with that many teams. I know ESEA is not the same league, but, in season 16 (where they had 4 tiers), their Open division for CS:GO had nearly 300 teams. Season 17 they added a new tier (for a total of 5), and their Open division had ~430ish teams. 200 teams will be just fine.

I’m not talking shit, im just telling the truth, this change was decided by just some, when instead the community should’ve been asked whether or not to make the change, i’m not saying that in that case we wouldn’t have changed, just all the players playing on etf2l should decide, and not just some, yes, yes, i know this is an experiment, and everything, but we could’ve tried it outside the normal etf2l season. Anyway guys it’s fine, it’s not even that bad after all, i probably sound really disappointed or butthurt, or whatever, it’s just my english skill being bad, and i can’t explain what i mean perfectly, so i end up looking an asshole

_Peace_

Dr. Heinz

★GF
KAAS

The community was asked, there was a big thread about this a while ago, asking for our opinions.
this thread is not about why the old system is better, or why you don’t like it. This is for questions about the swiss sysyem. That being said, I would like to see the few questions asked being answered. Perm didn’t say anything in here yet :/

Bob Bami

Quoted from Dr. Heinz

The community was asked, there was a big thread about this a while ago, asking for our opinions.
this thread is not about why the old system is better, or why you don’t like it. This is for questions about the swiss sysyem. That being said, I would like to see the few questions asked being answered. Perm didn’t say anything in here yet :/

http://etf2l.org/forum/feedback/topic-30613/

////////////////////////

Post where we got asked about it, a lot of positive ppl

Last edited by Bob Bami,

Russian Guyovich

(Surging Meat Cable)
[T-A!]LoS

Will there be a preseason week like UGC has? This is a good opportunity to get feedback on maps without the overhead of running a cup or putting a map into the main season that people are going to dislike.

I suppose you could even add an incentive for teams to play the preseason by prioritising them during the seeding process (those who played that week will have a higher seeding), but obviously the details would have to be worked out on that idea to make it fair in addition to the top 50% tier seeding you described.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 9 Next »