Forum

TF2Center.com, from pub to competitive

Created 5th August 2013 @ 23:08

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 33 Next »

Gladdy

I’d rather use an ugly, bug-free system of pickups instead of a something that looks nice but crashes every 2 minutes and has 9001 other code problems.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

Quoted from quell

…pretty shit…

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPJc9B2xQvCYzT4VzTZKwq3vm8B-Hxg0XzTht2DcjM0EPEUXwoLg

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from Gladdy

I’d rather use an ugly, bug-free system of pickups instead of a something that looks nice but crashes every 2 minutes and has 9001 other code problems.

we’re not talking about the code, we’re talking about someone shitting on the effort to make the website look good. ofc the code being good is assumption #1.

why do you think all these irc channels are so full of fail and a site like tf2lobby/tf2pickup attracts so many people?

Oxy

TC.Express

Quoted from quell

[…]
we’re not talking about the code, we’re talking about someone shitting on the effort to make the website look good. ofc the code being good is assumption #1.

why do you think all these irc channels are so full of fail and a site like tf2lobby/tf2pickup attracts so many people?

I don’t think that’s to do with looks, I think that is to do with accessibility issues. Your average 15 year old doesn’t have a clue what IRC is and a lot of the pickup sites needed you to be auth’d etc. New players will just never be fucked to going to that much effort.

Also please make this good enough to squash tf2lobby out of existence. The last thing we want is the community ending up split and we have 2 sites that it takes forever to get games on.

Last edited by Oxy,

Quoted from Gladdy

If a user (particularly a new user) sees the site looking crap, colours clashing, things appearing in the wrong place, it not only affects their impressions of the site as a whole but also affects the usability of the site. What some of the other tf2 match-type sites have done is go for functionality, and as a result they don’t attract new users.

Quoted from Spike Himself

No, code makes things work. Design lets it look pretty and is miles less important.

You’re also not apple and are in fact serving an arguably far more difficult audience here. We’ve seen too many projects here that didn’t quite make it, hence we are skeptical. Deliver something that works, that’s all we ask. It doesn’t mattter how pretty it is.

Most studies rate design and functionality about even in terms of importance. See previous post.

We’re not apple (and aren’t claiming to be. Tereza sucks at examples :D). But to continue that analogy, yeah their trackpads had problems, and there was X Y Z issues with their ipods. But they created, defined and re-defined the smart phone. They have the sleekest looking laptops around, and they are so popular because they are incredibly reliable, but are *also* incredibly easy to use. Every OS nowadays is being redesigned to increase usability (Mac, Windows 7 / 8, Unity).

Also please make this good enough to squash tf2lobby out of existence. The last thing we want is the community ending up split and we have 2 sites that it takes forever to get games on.

We don’t want the see that either. All we can do is put our stuff out there and let the community decide. We’ll be around for a long time after initial launch to fix and add things, so hopefully if the community is split but we can do something about it, we will.

toogyboogy

(ETF2L Donator)
SOFT
bobs

Are there any sort of ability to like create a lobby which requires people to be a certain div or a certain hours played or something like that? The regulars will come where there are quality games. To ensure those quality games one needs to make prerequisites. Now the good thing about this system is that people who have never played before can join “newbie lobbies” and advanced players can join their lobbies if they wish so. ensuring that the bigger spectrum of players can play and enjoy it.

Quoted from toogyboogy

Are there any sort of ability to like create a lobby which requires people to be a certain div or a certain hours played or something like that? The regulars will come where there are quality games. To ensure those quality games one needs to make prerequisites. Now the good thing about this system is that people who have never played before can join “newbie lobbies” and advanced players can join their lobbies if they wish so. ensuring that the bigger spectrum of players can play and enjoy it.

From the blog (http://blog.tf2center.com):

Class restrictions are also introduced here. Restrictions can be placed on an entire lobby or on specific classes, and can be any combination of matches played on TF2 Center, match reliability, and playtime on TF2 obtained through the Steam API (either in total, or on a specific class). Restrictions are set by the lobby creator, and can be fully customised.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Haha basing it on playtime. hahahaahah.

Well, at least it will look good :D

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from Koeitje

Haha basing it on playtime. hahahaahah.

hahaha excluding players with 100 hours total TF2 from joining your games hahaha

sukkel

Video preview of some of the upcoming features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56cTOsO8A3c

Last edited by foxy_dave,

bean

isaninja

[…]

Bit overkill imo, plus designs don’t make things work. I’d rather see something boring that just works.

[…]

No, code makes things work. Design lets it look pretty and is miles less important.

Every form on there follows it function does it not? Where’s the excess?

Last edited by bean,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from quell

[…]
we’re not talking about the code, we’re talking about someone shitting on the effort to make the website look good

Hold it right there! I was never shitting on anyone’s efforts. I’m just saying we need something that works. You slag off irc in an attempt to make an argument, but it’s a solid system that has proven its worth. *That* is far more important.

Like you said, if it works AND it looks nice, great.
If it works and it doesn’t look nice, also great.
If it looks nice but it doesn’t work, not so great.

Quoted from quell

you’re obviously missing the point

:)

Quoted from bean

Every form on there follows it function does it not? Where’s the excess?

That, I wasn’t aware of. I have only seen some screenshots. Good sttuff, in that case :)

quell

UbeR |

[…]

Hold it right there! I was never shitting on anyone’s efforts. I’m just saying we need something that works. You slag off irc in an attempt to make an argument, but it’s a solid system that has proven its worth. *That* is far more important.

honestly dude. in every single one of your posts in this thread you basically say “lel well nice pictures guys but it’s all about the CODE!” which to me seems like excessive downplaying of their efforts. you think these guys are stupid and will only deliver a pretty nonfunctional picture?

:)

Last edited by quell,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from quell

[…]

honestly dude. in every single one of your posts in this thread you basically say “lel well nice pictures guys but it’s all about the CODE!” which to me seems like excessive downplaying of their efforts.

Then you have misunderstood my intention.

Quoted from quell

you think these guys are stupid and will only deliver a pretty nonfunctional picture?

No, I am saying we, based on past experiences, are a skeptical audience. Remember nightbox? His drafts looked nice too.

Geez, what a pointless amount of fuss. All I asked is “does it work?”. If someone had answered “yes” then that would’ve been the end of that.. :D

Geez, what a pointless amount of fuss. All I asked is “does it work?”. If someone had answered “yes” then that would’ve been the end of that.. :D

Yes!

To clarify, I understand the scepticism. Various projects, ours included, have promised things and not delivered, and I think it’s right and expected that people don’t really believe what we say without proof. Well, the proof is hopefully now there, and after Sunday we’ll hopefully be much closer to knowing a launch date.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 33 Next »