Forum

TF2Center.com, from pub to competitive

Created 5th August 2013 @ 23:08

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 33 Next »

Hi guys,

We’d like to announce that TF2Center is still in active development. The team is keeping busy and making progress, although there’s still of a bit of a way to go before it’s where we want it to be. To see where we’re at check out the blog (link below), but to give an idea of where we are, most of the backend functionality exists and has been tested, the UI designs are all but completed and are currently being implemented, and the game servers are being configured.

We’re expecting to host a closed beta test to some players (invite only, sorry!) with a partly-finished UI in the next few weeks, followed by some time for us to fix the bugs that arise there and finish off everything before releasing into the wild.

We’re posting regular updates to the blog – http://blog.tf2center.com – and if you don’t see anything for a few days then slap us and we’ll get on it!

Comments are welcome, here or on the blog, and we will follow up with the latest news as and when we have it.

We know countless projects have come and gone over the years, but MasterNoob, Marty, Mother Tereza and myself are working hard to not let you down. We wanted to post now partly to get the news out, but also for accountability. Once the community knows, we become answerable to it and it drives us on to get it finished.

Thanks for reading!

Foxy

Tomu

BoyBrigade
MEGA$$

The description option for your lobby, where does that show exactly?

Because hell, even the lobby names quite often have something thats just mostly spam so describing the lobby might not be the best thing.

Maybe instead adding tags to a lobby like “High level/low level” whatever rather than having a description that could easily be abused by the so very mature people from lobby.

Other than that I love the design and all looks very simple with better features than lobby. Especially the sub thing.

Last edited by Tomu,

Kaneco

duuuude, that looks great, way more developed than I thought

Altough heres a post of mine when posting to this thread http://etf2l.org/forum/community/topic-23803/page-5/?recent=464886#post-464881

Why can’t just you, tf2pickup.net guys and shrike all work together and create a joint bug-free pickup site that supports HL, 6v6, bball and ultiduo? This has been bugging me since forever… We have had dozens of broken pickup sites, and not a single one that has retained community presence, we desperately need one major site that supports all competitive gamemodes and has a good quality control over players.

/rant

If you’re working on that I hope you go more of PUG way and not so much of a lobby way, and I already saw you were working on mumble integration and everything, its looking great, I just hope you support all the major competitive gamemodes 6v6 and HL and ofcourse BBall and Ultiduo as well, we really need a functional Bball and Ultiduo pickup site.

LaMqTa

fenneks

The designs are really amazing! Hope to see this working as soon as possible

whayay

#WW

Looks really slick!

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from LaMqTa

The designs are really amazing!

Bit overkill imo, plus designs don’t make things work. I’d rather see something boring that just works.

Have you guys got anything working at all yet or is it really just visual stuff so far?

Trath

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Bit overkill imo, plus designs don’t make things work. I’d rather see something boring that just works.

Have you guys got anything working at all yet or is it really just visual stuff so far?

Pretty good troll if all they have is visual.
In any case it doesn’t matter, in Shrike we trust

Crafz

I actually got an insight look in this thing. Seemed quite legit to me.

As for Shrike, I have to say I’m quite disappointed.

Ace

Quoted from Crafz

As for Shrike, I have to say I’m quite disappointed.

how dare you

I BELIEVE IN SHRIKE

Kaneco

I believe in all of you, now just go and create a good and stable pickup site.

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

It doesn’t need to look nice. It just needs to work.

Quoted from Tomu

The description option for your lobby, where does that show exactly?

On the lobby page, and on the lobby detailed overview on the home page (when you expand out one of the lobbies). Nice idea about using tags rather than a description. We’ve added it as a discussion point, although it’s likely that description will still be used in the first release at least.

Quoted from Kaneco

we really need a functional Bball and Ultiduo pickup site

So I can’t tell how sarcastic this is (I don’t think it is, but this *is* the internet) but I’ll bite! The backend is relatively easy to expand out to other gamemodes as appropriate, and the GUI is largely ready – just a case of displaying different lobby slots. We’re focussing on the lobby aspect (but more organised) at the moment while we get the first release out, and then will start looking at expansion. Other gameplay modes are definitely on the radar, as are things like mixes and seeing if we can help the community out there with organisation. Nothing set in stone yet, not until first release!

Why can’t just you, tf2pickup.net guys and shrike all work together and create a joint bug-free pickup site that supports HL, 6v6, bball and ultiduo?

Different technologies, time commitments, financial commitments, expectations and goals are the main issue. Taking TF2Pickup, this is something that is designed specifically for pickup matches and was written and released relatively quickly. Bigger projects take longer, and if pickup is just a small section of a large project then it would see delays in release for a relatively small aspect of the site.

You also need to have a project leader ideally, but who should that be out of the 3-4 leaders you already have?

Another is trust. Intellectual Property (IP) is important, and if a few more developers that you didn’t completely know came and wanted to join your project, then there would be concern about essentially releasing your source code to unknown parties.

Maybe this is something we could investigate after release. For example, if all goes well and we’re looking at adding pickup-style functionality then we could see if similar projects want to merge. I can foresee some may want to remain as their own standalone project and retain creative control though, which is fair enough!

Oh, and competition is healthy!

Quoted from Spike Himself

We have almost all of the backend functionality – hosting lobbies manually or using our stock lobby system, creating the lobbies, integration with mumble, tracking player connections to server, auto-reporting of missing players. This has been tested by ourselves, and while the system has been designed for reliability obviously it may react differently when under stress, as that is something not tested fully. This is something the closed beta will help to test towards the end of August.

We haven’t got a release date out yet because of this. After the beta, one way or another we’ll be much closer to knowing how much more work is needed.

Quoted from T0m

Why not both! ;)

Schweppes

this looks amazing

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from T0m

making it look nice makes it more attractive for many players, especially new ones. so yes, it does need to look nice. tf2center looks especially nice so far but that shouldn’t be a point of critique.

i’ll believe it when i’m using it though, until then SNAKE OIL.

lawrence

How could we get our hands on the closed beta as it is invite-only? Will you invite only the guys you want or you’ll just make some sort of random giveaway of access?

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 33 Next »