Forum

Vertical awareness ???

Created 17th January 2013 @ 07:36

Add A Reply Pages: 1

doks

No idea how to call it, but since i have switched to 16:10 i feel like im loosing whats happening on the vertical axis a lot more. Scouts jumping above my head soldiers jumping above me all that stuff. Tried to play soldier v soldier mge to check how bad it is and almost half of the time a lost track of my enemy when he jumped over my head.
Switched to 4:3 after that and not sure if that helped, need to play more with it.

FYI My main class is medic so awareness in general is very important and if i loose track of whats happening above me im failing my team imo.

I dont remember it ever being a problem for me… only recently i have noticed this bugging me more and more.
Anyone esle feeling this way? any tips to improve that ?

shank

vs

Wait till season is over to change it, its like sensitivity change it takes some time to get used to

Jörge

TSUN~
derptex9

What ratio did you change from?

zilis

mamka

Change your ratio to 16:9, it’ll give you the most FOV, 16:10 is second and 4:3 is the lowest. You could also try using OpenPlugin, it’ll let you change your FOV to 130.

Jörge

TSUN~
derptex9

Just had a quick play, the vertical fov doesn’t seem to change? 16:9 just gives more width compared to the other two. So not sure why your vertical awareness feels less.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

The way FOV works in TF2 I think you don’t actually lose anything vertically switching between aspect ratios. I know in GoldSrc the top and bottom of the screen was clipped off, but I’m pretty sure in Source the view is just “expanded” to the left and right.

It may just be your mind playing tricks on you, but take some screenshots of the same place in different aspect ratios to verify!

ash

(Legend)
:D

Have you lowered your sens recently? I tend to lose Track of People jumping over my Head more the lower my sens – guess thats a physical Problem tho, being too slow to Track them

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

It’s psychological, vertical fov will always be 73.74 degrees (at fov_desired 90) no matter what aspect ratio you use (unless you play on a pub that has sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov 1/2).

The fact that you gained more horizontal fov by starting to play at 16:10 maybe emphasizes the fact that your vertical fov is less than that. You could state that your vertical awareness was reduced relatively to your horizontal awareness; but it’s still the same constant value as before.

doks

i know that the actual fov doesnt change.
Must be my mind messing around.
Maybe its because i didnt play as much as usual during the last 2 month.
Anyways thanks for friendly responses.
/thread

Add A Reply Pages: 1