Forum

Getting started in the competitive scene as medic

Created 10th February 2012 @ 07:49

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Madlollipop

Dzi

Hello,
I have always had an obsession to heal or support in games, (wow , blc, lol, hon , tf2 you get the point) but in pubs its usually hard to play with tactics since no one care about the medic- they want kills. I have played alot of tf2 and now wanted to take the step into the competitive scene, and i played a local tournament with one good team which we won against in the finals, but the ones i played with does not want to start a team and since medic is a very important role most teams have one.

I have also played lobbies where people raged about me, instead of soldiers who didnt rj in the rollout or demos for that matter, and realized they were not better than pub players , with the exception of one or two.
Then it went really well for me and they kept raging when i did not heal our soldier who ran straight into a ubered heavy. Cough uber advantage

Regardless how does one start off as a medic without irl friends who wants to form a team, i mean who wants an unexperienced medic?

Last edited by Madlollipop,

TurboTabs

(Classy)
Op4

It’s fine about being inexperienced. Everyone starts somewhere and like you, there’s probably a couple of soldiers, demomen, and scouts looking for a team as well.

For starting out I suggest putting up a recruitment post on the etf2l website which is basically a advertisement that you want to join a team to play with

If however you’re looking to create the team yourself; go about adding and contacting people from the recruitment section under the “Div 6” skill set (entry skill set) regarding about coming together to make a team. May want to do some trial runs to make sure you like playing with said person.

If you wondering how to become less inexperienced, try checking out this megathread with lots of useful links http://etf2l.org/forum/tactics/topic-12510/?recent=358642

If you’re struggling with anything; theres plenty of people on irc and the etf2l forums that would gladly help when asked.

Everyone starts somewhere. Try getting to play in some mixes, lobbies and pickups. That way you will get to know other players and learn a lot. When you feel like you know what you’re doing you can go search for a div 6 team to play in. That’s probably the best (only?) way to go. It’s good fun healing but a good tip for you would be to try and play other classes as well since that will improve your gamesense and understanding for the game.

Oh yea, one more thing. If someone tries to help you by giving you feedback about how you play (example: you’re building uber too slow) then make sure you take that as a good thing and don’t say stuff like “NO U FGT”. I doubt you would do it, but a lot of players I’ve taken under my wings have done that and that really doesnt make me want to help them much. I wish you the best of luck :)

Last edited by .,

Add everyone u ever me(e)t on the internet.
Easy acces to: mixes, trials, trialees, 2am doublemixes
(downsides may or may not include people treating u as #tf.mercs)

Join the newbiemix group. It got pretty fucking horrible (circlejerks yay), but it’s better than lobby and u might get lucky and end up with someone that actually gives advice/isn’t a retard.

Make a rec post.

trams

-><-

I will add you on steam and help you get started.

Oxy

TC.Express

Find a group you like, cling on to them for dear-life until they finally accept you as one of their own.

Worked for me.

doks

get a friend who plays solder and becomes your pocket… maan.. if i would have done that when i was starting

Enef

fest
#wubafan

I joined my first team through pubs, basically. I hung around on their pub server and then their mumble, watched their games, went to lan played with them then joined them.

trams

-><-

#scantf2.pickup now running! ;)

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Get plenty of experience with the other classes in comp play too if you want to maximise your potential as medic :E

Morphine

(Cat Enthusiast)
一一═デ︻

Quoted from Admirable

Get plenty of experience with the other classes in comp play too if you want to maximise your potential as medic :E

This. Knowing your enemy is helpful if you want less deaths. If you know where they usually hold or push, then you’ll have less surprise deadz.

AnimaL

Quoted from Admirable

only useful if you want to maincall, if not there is no need to know anything more than how much ammo each class has and what speed it has relative to medic speed :D

Last edited by AnimaL,

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

Quoted from AnimaL

only useful if you want to maincall, if not there is no need to know anything more than how much ammo each class has and what speed it has relative to medic speed :D

Hogwash! Having a decent idea of where bombing soldiers will be bombing from, where sneaky scouts sneak from and where the demo’s most obvious traps are, will help a lot.

Medic is about staying alive, ie positioning, building uber properly, ie soldier hurting himself and as few buffs for others as possible and use of uber ie when and if to multi…

Good luck.

AnimaL

lol its faster to learn where not to stand and where to watch out as medic than learn each sneaky spot for each class while playing it

i sailed in and out of prem by only playing medic and occasional sniper in sniper only servers, i think i have legit chance for opinion, dont diss it kk

if you feel like you are in wrong positions, start reviewing ur own demos, if ur stuck compare to other medics in prem… review your every death and improve, medic is easy road to high divs and all

Last edited by AnimaL,

torden

broder
syster

Scan pickups are a great place to start (and continue) and you’re lucky to have a Tramsig there to help you with it. Once you’re settled with that, you can look for pixel pickups next, which will be more active during weekdays.

Välkomna och lycka till!

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »