Forum

Organizing your team

Created 2nd January 2012 @ 12:15

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

Tornf4lk

cc//

facebook works great as a way of giving out messages seeing as people usually check that anyways. shoutout to viruz

Trane

Quoted from antyjc

[…]

:)

Well, that was a complete failure to engage my brain rather than questionable English skills!

Spike Himself

TC

This works if you and your team are serious about improving and, as a logical side-effect, none of you commit to 6v6;

1. Have a few backups, but not too many (1 or 2, perhaps 3 as it’s highlander).
2. Make it clear to your team that you have set days and times where you practise.
3. Someone doesn’t show up? Get a merc.
4. Someone doesn’t show up often? Write a recruitment post.

Now you know when your team is available and what days and times you can organise your matches for.

Don’t want to be this serious about playing a game? Then don’t complain that your team members aren’t either :)

almightybob

.ps

Quoted from Selek

Try Doodle for that! It works great and has all the features you mentioned (and more).

Will have a look and see, thanks :)

v1ruuz

Quoted from Tornf4lk

facebook works great as a way of giving out messages seeing as people usually check that anyways. shoutout to viruz

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

(Assuming you are working with a team of pubbers, rather than real life friends or highly motivated players bent on winning their division)

1. Make a Doodle for each week and ensure everyone fills it in. If they don’t, remind them until they do. If they still don’t, find more responsible players. Make it clear that players can, and must change their Doodle entries if their plans change. Confront them if they don’t.

2. Copy paste any important info, such as scheduled pcws, to all team members. Make it clear that you require a response for each message, and that they should message you if their plans change. Keep a list of messages sent and received (in notepad). This is crucial at first to get your team organized. Eventually you’ll no longer need any of this.

3. Make it clear that all current plans for the week are visible in the Steam group. Schedule games and events at least 24 hours in advance. Highlander isn’t 6v6, don’t expect to find a game on short notice.

4. Steam group “events” create a popup when triggered, that must be closed manually. It is the best way to get all online group members’ attention. You can use it to create reminders at spaced intervals before each game, to ensure people don’t miss a game or event.
However, it minimizes certain games when it triggers, so use it sparingly (event spam makes LoL players mad). Eventually you will no longer need reminders, but they help immensely at first.

5. Be consistent. Set an example. Always schedule games in advance. Never miss games or run late without warning others. If the team leader disregards his own rules, everyone else will too.

This is all you need to make highlander PCWs happen consistently. Everything else will happen as you play together.

Note that nothing will help if your players aren’t even the slightest bit motivated to compete and win. If someone behaves like TF2 is a chore or a second job to them, try to replace them ASAP.

ondkaja

IKEA

Prior to matches I always invited players in the team to our Steam group’s chat room – sometimes up to 5 hours in advance. It’s good for two reasons: 1. It’s a good reminder, so people don’t accidentally forget and leave their computers. 2. You can keep the members in the team updated on the other team’s status, your team’s status etc. If you’re missing a player and the match draws near, you can simply ask in the chat room if someone in your team knows someone who can merc for you.

Notepad is a useful tool. I use it as a check list, writing down which player plays which class. Good for keeping track of your team, because this is not something you decide in the pre-match, hopefully.

Off-topic: “Organise” is indeed spelt with an S. :)

get a team with only people that play 24/7. Worked fine for me for 3 seasons.
And get their phone numbers so u can 1) Troll them when u’re drunk at 6am 2) troll them when u’re drunk at 6pm 3) troll them 4)Ragecall them when they don’t show up for an official 5) Drunk them when u’re troll

atomic-

Quoted from Pynklùùùnningen

get a team with only people that play 24/7. Worked fine for me for 3 seasons.
And get their phone numbers so u can 1) Troll them when u’re drunk at 6am 2) troll them when u’re drunk at 6pm 3) troll them 4)Ragecall them when they don’t show up for an official 5) Drunk them when u’re troll

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Selek

Dr. med.

Quoted from emb

[long text]

This is exactly what I did until now, and it only supports sheepism and too much work for me. IMHO, if people want to play a tournament, the least they could do is read and remember dates I posted and fill out Doodle entries. It’s less than a minute of work for them PER WEEK.

Ond kaja:
The Oxford Dictionary (and LEO) is not as sure as you are.

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Organising a team sucks.
Organising a highlander team sucks 10x more.

With a 6v6 team (or full time highlander team), the best organisation is to try and get into a set routine. Most teams tend to have a warm up game at 20cet, and another game at 21 or 21:15cet, Sunday to Thursday. If you have an active team, people just seem to jump onto mumble at those times, or just before those times, leaving you with only a few people to chase.

With a ‘part time’ highlander team, I’d say try and dedicate the same time and same day each week to your highlander matches. Once people get into the routine, it becomes easier.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

If you don’t have enough keeners, just recruit more people so you can always field 9 players… That’s what I did with Daughter; basically all in the team view highlander more as a “funny excursion” than anything serious. I message the people personally, asking if they can play, note them down in a .txt file. I try to get confirmed availability for about 10-11 persons for the exact match date because there’s always 1 or 2 who will not show up xD).

If you dó have enough keeners, there shouldn’t be any problem, the team should be self-regulating with the help of some minor coordination from a leader.

torden

broder
syster

Back in the days of my pub team, we set up a quick php3 forum, and steam group for urgent messages. Unlike the team, the info system worked well.

Oxy

TC.Express

Quoted from skeej

If you don’t have enough keeners, just recruit more people so you can always field 9 players… That’s what I did with Daughter; basically all in the team view highlander more as a “funny excursion” than anything serious. I message the people personally, asking if they can play, note them down in a .txt file. I try to get confirmed availability for about 10-11 persons for the exact match date because there’s always 1 or 2 who will not show up xD).

Exactly this.

h1

:3
BM

we use google spreadsheet for our HL,
simple
http://i44.tinypic.com/fyj3us.jpg

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2