Forum

New to competitive

Created 14th October 2011 @ 12:33

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Ted Danson

Hi everybody!

I’m reasonably new to TF2 (around 200~ hours) and am looking to maybe find out about competitive action.

So far I know of the 6v6 and the 9v9, but not the rules related. I also don’t know what would be my strongest class, definitely not spy or engi though.

Is there anywhere I can play some games to get a feel for the competitiveness of tf2 and realise how bad I am?

I have many years of cs action so I am not new to online computer warfare.

Don’t really know what I am on about here….

Much love.

lolage

TSPAG

This thread will have everything you need: http://etf2l.org/forum/league/topic-12510/?recent=274229

Spike Himself

TC

Welcome!

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Ted Danson

So far I know of the 6v6 and the 9v9, but not the rules related. I also don’t know what would be my strongest class, definitely not spy or engi though.

Perfect! Nobody plays spy or engi in competitive TF2. :P

While Highlander (9v9, with 1 person of each class) is played quite often by public communities, the real meat of competitive TF2 is 6v6. It’s played with a classlimit of 2 for every class, except medic, demo, and heavy which are 1 of each. It’s almost exclusively played on 5cp maps (badlands, granary, and gullywash which after nearly 2 years, just became an official map last night). While these classlimits exist, the standard team layout is 2 scouts, 2 soldiers, 1 medic and 1 demo, the scouts will occasionally switch to sniper or spy situationally though.

Is there anywhere I can play some games to get a feel for the competitiveness of tf2 and realise how bad I am?

Yes, Check out tf2lobby.com. You can just jump into any random lobby there, play, and have a good time. Just pick one of the classes I said above, and don’t worry too much. You will likely get owned the first few you play, but man, every kill you do get will feel so much more satisfying.

Past that, there’s Pixel Pickup (**cough** blatent self promotion **cough**), but I wouldn’t worry about that yet. Just get the basics down in TF2lobby and the other link I gave until you try to venture into there.

I have many years of cs action so I am not new to online computer warfare.

Oh… Well I should have read your whole post before I started typing a reply. Quite frankly if you’ve got a lot of experience with CS, I’d suggest focussing on scout. It’s the most aim-heavy class in the game and will let your existing skills shine through.

What you’ll likely find is that while you can win fights most of the time, you’ll be in the wrong position a lot and not be able to help your team. Don’t worry, just play a lot and your gamesense will develop.

Gl dude, tf2 is a fun video game. :)

Ted Danson

Thanks a lot for the helpful and fast replies guys.

Be prepared to find my ‘high skilled’ recruitment post after I’ve played a few games.

wrex

gl

Add A Reply Pages: 1