Forum

Pedantic points of grammar

Created 22nd October 2009 @ 02:43

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Krakyn

rEJ

I mention these in part because I’m a bored pedant, but also because most people who use this site will have English as a second language at best so reading bad English won’t help them.

Rule 1.6.7 the last sentence throws me every time I read it, comes across as implying that you can use a ringer without consent via that rule, which I take is not the case. “Your opponent doesn’t have to allow a ringer.” works better (I think).

Rule 1.6.12 “Abandoned matches has to be reconstructed” has should be have. The explanation of the rule isn’t very good either tbh.

Rule 1.6.11 is equally as bad. Something like “Chat should be limited to the traditional good manners. Chat abuse will be punished.” covers everything that needs to be.

Rule 1.7.1 is another example “But remember all matches have to be played on European located servers which may cause a ping disadvantage.” That sentence could be read to imply you can use a server with bad ping for your opponents. Looks like the end of the sentence with something like “…to players from outside Europe.” was meant to be added but never was.

That’s just from the few I noticed at random when looking a rule up. Next time one of the Admins from the UK is bored they should probably go through the rules and sort some of this. It’s all much better than I could manage in any language not English but you have staff who have it as a first language, wouldn’t hurt to crack the whip and make them do it. ;)

Last edited by Krakyn,

djc

d2f~

god dammit krakyn we have 2 rej channels and private forums for you to let your aspergers loose over, specifically to avoid this type of thing

and you say i give rej a bad name by adding riemu to our roster…

wpminnows

[PG]

its spelt grammer

Edd

T2P

its spelt grammer

please tell me that’s a joke.

seraph

rEJ

Krakyn you are worse at grammar and spelling than you are at not walking into long range rockets.

Awwww Krakyn’s helping! :D

compton

cvx|

The rules are a bit of a joke anyway, there’s some stuff that’s never or just occasionally enforced.

Last edited by compton,

dunc

infs
dp.

its spelt grammer

:D::D:::D

nvc

its spelt grammer

:D::D:::D

3 smiley faces = :D :D :D

Last edited by nvc,

dunc

infs
dp.

1/10 please try harder

“Your opponent doesn’t have to allow a ringer.”

To me that reads “you may use a ringer wether your opponent agrees or not”.
I know that’s not the case since I have common sense but the phrasing needs to be even better tbh.

“You may only use a ringer if your opponent agrees” doesn’t work?

Last edited by Fluffy Meowington,

Skyride

DUCS

To me that reads “you may use a ringer wether your opponent agrees or not”

Thats EXACTLY what it reads to me and I’m scottish aswell. ffs Krakyn, now I see why people don’t think we speak English here. >.>

Last edited by Skyride,

Abunai

To me that reads “you may use a ringer wether your opponent agrees or not”

Thats EXACTLY what it reads to me and I’m scottish aswell. ffs Krakyn, now I see why people don’t think we speak English here. >.>

Ah disagree, dae ye want tae barnie abit it ye a bampot bodie?

dunc

infs
dp.

Scottish accents make me erect. Especially the drunken manly ones.

Jones

Rules just need to be clear and precise. They aren’t meant to be a good read, they are meant to resolve disputes. They shouldn’t ignite debates of interpretation if written well. They should also be well organised so people can find what they are looking for efficiently.

Stating the obvious I know.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »