FPS Drops

Created 15th October 2009 @ 19:12

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

ZeyOrk

•Core 2 Duo P8600 2,40 GHz
•4 GB DDR3 RAM
•ATI 4670 1 GB
•320 GB HDD

The first thing I did was to fire up Team Fortress 2, of course! The first 30 mins of gameplay: Awesomeness, my best TF2 experience ever, amazing graphics, v-sync off, AA on 2x- simply amazing… but after these 30 wonderful mins I suddenly had some FPS lag, for 5 seconds, then back to normal for a bit, then lag again and so on… now what is this? I just bought a Zalman NC2000 in hope of making the gameplay better and avoid these FPS drops. This has to be underclocking issues right? Can I achieve lower temps by undervolting my CPU/GPU? I have never done that before and I would be amazingly happy if someone with the same laptop could help me.

I just hope the Zalman will work things out, otherwise I’m throwing this laptop away – I can barely touch the palm rests while I’m gaming!

Thanks in advance for all answers

Btw. The zalman-cooler doesnt work. I have tried newer drivers, both gpu, bios, everything that there is. So annoying, coming from uni and want to play some kick-ass games and annoy kodyl on pickups, but no, just keeps ruining the game. It happens so random, at important places in the game.

Last edited by ZeyOrk,

AnimaL

surely if its overheating it will crashchange cpu speed to not get dmged

try opening laptop, cleaning it, clearing all the fans… my mom had a laptop that got completly full of cats fur inside the fan, so much of it, that it was halted…. just cleared that out and was as good as new…

Last edited by AnimaL,

Skyride

DUCS

If a CPU heats to temperature where it will cause damage, it auto shuts down. Im sure its 130c for the Core2’s, i’d assume its the same for i7/5. It definately sounds like overheating to me though, of the graphics card kind.

Under-volting is a bad idea. The only time you under-volt a CPU is when you also underclock it.

Last edited by Skyride,

ZeyOrk

Already did that, called dell, they changed heatsink and put on some new thermal paste, tried undervolting, didnt help either, got like 5-6 degrees cooler, but thats it

AnimaL

If a CPU heats to temperature where it will cause damage, it auto shuts down. Im sure its 130c for the Core2’s, i’d assume its the same for i7/5. It definately sounds like overheating to me though, of the graphics card kind.

Under-volting is a bad idea. The only time you under-volt a CPU is when you also underclock it.

hello, mobo has option to decrese voltages/core clocks to prevent it from crashing

c2d has 85-95C temp limit, after it will start CPU throttling to prevent dmg….

whats the ur gpu/cpu temps?

Last edited by AnimaL,

Skyride

DUCS

hello, mobo has option to decrese voltages/core clocks to prevent it from crashing

Maybe your particular motherboard, thats not a standard thing.

xtala

<hello, mobo has option to decrese voltages/core clocks to prevent it from crashing

c2d has 85-95C temp limit, after it will start CPU throttling to prevent dmg….

whats the ur gpu/cpu temps?

The undervolting thing is exactly what Skyride said, don’t undervolt unless you underclock.
Afaik the temperatures for throttling are quite a bit higher on laptop cpu’s

ZeyOrk

afaik, that laptops are still bad for gaming. I doesnt bother me actually, but you want to get a pc worthy your money. Dell sucks, thats to it.

Skyride

DUCS

Dell sucks, thats to it.

Desktops, Yes
Laptops, no, they are actually pretty good

xtala

Dell sucks, thats to it.

Desktops, Yes

And monitors, you should be burned for even thinking they might be bad.

ZeyOrk

thnx guys, but there is no solution to this problem, many ppl has it, and no one can be blamed but VALVE!

Skyride

DUCS

Dell sucks, thats to it.

Desktops, Yes

And monitors, you should be burned for even thinking they might be bad.

Didn’t think it was worth mentioning, +1
Their servers are brilliant too.

thnx guys, but there is no solution to this problem, many ppl has it, and no one can be blamed but VALVE!

Interesting conclusion. Oh well, any excuse for incompetence. ^_^

Last edited by Skyride,

ZeyOrk

could sexy-baerbel lock the topic, I was hoping to get a solution, but its a laptop-syndrome, so It cant be fixed :(

Peace

ZeyOrk

I actually fixed it: Mat_queue_mode 2 FTW!

Sir Remix

frø
DANMARK

What does that commands do m8?

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »