Forum

Ddos

Created 17th December 2010 @ 18:46

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6

Skyride

DUCS

sounds great ronny, give me a shout if there’s anything i can help with.

I didn’t realise it was actually such an issue if I’m honest.

Last edited by Skyride,

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Quoted from Ronny

How can you help?
Forward every information you might have about this exploit and I will see what I can do. Currently we just can’t do much because we do not have the exploit. And all package information (captured with tcpdump – including udp packages) and iptables log files seemed to be “ok”.

Link to the things which I already tried: http://www.nice-servers.com/en/blog/84-ddos-und-dos-exploits-gegenmassnahmen.html

Cheers,

Ronny
nice-servers.com

I have the necessary tools to launch an attack. Verified it takes less than 1MB/s upstream to kill a busy server (my own, achievement_idle, don’t worry ;) ). Ronny, contact me on friends or IRC.

Also, how can you help:
Keep playing games, get videocasts instead of relay-casts. Get the casters whitelisted and on the server until the situation is resolved.

Last edited by Arie,

short update:

Arie and me worked hard the last night and today and hopefully we’ve found another solution than whitelisting IPs.

We’ll test it within the next days in some officials.

How it works
We are limiting the “A2S”-Packages from Valve which are used for quering server information like who is playing on the server. This can be done with the linux firewall using “iptables” and the information found here http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Server_queries

When everything works fine I’ll write an howto so you can secure your root server, too.

Btw, sorry to all ppl who were playing on the dm server while we tested this “lag exploit”. It just made more sense to test it on a server where people are playing ;-)

Cheers,

Ronny
nice-servers.com

Last edited by Ronny,

Firewall rules worked fine for our games vs. Epsi, FB and PwR. Let’s see whats happening tonight.

@attacker: If you was away the last two days please come back tonight ;)

byte

Good Job Arie n Ronny, I’m sure the community appreciate all your efforts and I certainly do!

<3

Cheers

Byte

octochris

(0v0)

Will be writing a Windows version soon using ipfw (NOT iptables), unless Arie or Ronny is already on it.

Black_Bob

[DA]

Will this work on multiplay servers using clanforge, not a clue if its linux or windows

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Quoted from octochris

Will be writing a Windows version soon using ipfw (NOT iptables), unless Arie or Ronny is already on it.

Please do.

Quoted from Black_Bob

Will this work on multiplay servers using clanforge, not a clue if its linux or windows

You need ‘root’ (Linux) or ‘Administrator’ (Windows) rights to configure a firewall like this. So you’ll have to ask Multiplay to add an option to enable this for your server.

It’s worth the investment for GSPs since all Orangebox engine games (DoD:S, CS:S and TF2) can be exploited.

Last edited by Arie,

Just wanted to inform you that the protection works and I can even log the attack now. I’ll just monitor it for the next few weeks before making it public to be sure everything works as expected.

Wabbeh

Bump for best thread ever (until it gets all srsface)

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6