Forum

PC doesn't want to boot

Created 21st January 2010 @ 10:14

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

Oscar

Cheers

When I read your post, my immediate reaction was a PSU problem.

If you can, cut it down to the bare minimum. PSU, Motherboard, RAM and CPU, disconnecting everything else. Generally, I would unplug all leads and just start again from scratch; a single one can cause a problem and just pressing on all of them is usually ineffective. Then try booting up again. It is slightly hard to describe, but try and listen out for the point at which the BIOS kicks in. If possible, power it up with the case side off; usually easier to see what you are dealing with if you can see it.

If everything seems fine when you do that, try plugging in everything else one at a time. Try Hard Drive first, and listen for the single BIOS beep shortly after powering it up; if you don’t get that, then there is a problem there.

rtan

-9w-

tried it barebones, no difference. Can hear beeps every so often but obviously nothing happens

AnimaL

what kind of beeps

rtan

-9w-

Quoted from AnimaL

what kind of beeps

erm, pretty generic beeps. High pitched :p disc drives don’t open when this goes on, dunno if that means something. Hopefully getting a psu to try today but no doubt my mate will bring a 350 watt shit or something

o

Excal
UC#3

The reason AnimaL asked about the beeps is that each motherboard has its own ‘beep codes’ for diagnostics. For example, one of my old boards had a long low-pitched beep followed by a short high-pitched beep to mean, ‘keyboard not connected.’ (Don’t ask why I had to look that up.) It can be tricky info to find online, though.

rtan

-9w-

I see.

Well for some reason, tried booting without my graphics card in, just processor, ram and mobo. Seems to boot fine. But as soon as my graphics card is in it doesn’t boot.

Quoted from rtan

I see.

Well for some reason, tried booting without my graphics card in, just processor, ram and mobo. Seems to boot fine. But as soon as my graphics card is in it doesn’t boot.

If the mobo has a different pci x16 port try that.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from rtan

Tried taking the mobo battery out and back in. No change.

Did you make sure to purge the buffers before you took it out?

rtan

-9w-

Managed to get it working. New PSU and resetting CMOS settings seemed to fix it.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2