Forum

Good luck germans

Created 15th June 2009 @ 01:45

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

iQue

keso

If it’s as bad as this article makes it sound, best of luck for you :|

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/xbox360/all-violent-video-games-be-banned-in-germany-$1301757.htm

ExE

-[S2L]

GL HF.

Suggested games: http://www.cutegirlgames.com/page/1/Dressup

Underground LANs ftw

Norris

it’s bad. we already have the most strict rules against violence in video games in europe (Hi german non blood TF2 rated mature) but it still doesn’t seam to be enough for some policits over here. they don’t know what they are doing and they failed to ban their stuff two times ago. so I doubt this will happen by now. guess their censorship will get rejected by the constitutional court.

I lol @ the increase in piracy this would cause.

klu

-[MG]-
MG//

*waves at angry german kid*

Iller

tGa

Lol, the debate about Video games in Germany is really really off.
It’s worse than here in Sweden 20-25 years ago when politicians and media knew nothing about video games and there was a similar debate.

I cite a stupid politician from the article :

“Violent games lower the inhibition level for real violence and spree killers have again and again played such before they did the crime.”

There is obviously some need for politicians to take some basics IQ tests or some basic courses in Mathematical Statistics before beeing allowed to be politicians.

I can also come up with some similar connections :

“It turned out that the killers all had been playing with their friends as childs, over and over again. This so called “play”, were they often pretend to be someone else (like a robber and a cop or some villain or superhero), should be banned.
This “play” clearly made the killers confuse reality and their fantasies and made them the murderers we see today.”

Please, please, politicians, answer the following extremely simple logical/statistical question :

A is true. B is true.
Does then A imply B ?

A is a subset of B.
Does this imply that B is a subset of A ?

Appearently, the German politicans fail both of these questions.

Example of reasoning where you fail to answer the first question correctly :
Hitler liked dogs.
Hitler was a cruel dictator responsible for the deaths of millions.
Therefore the fact that he liked dogs made him the dictator he was,

Example of reasoning where you fail the second question :

The killers responsible for the massacres at the schools had all played video games (like 99% of all boys I guess).
Therefore all players of videogames are potential killers and we should ban all computer games.

Kris

So would this mean that online distribution would be banned aswell? You wount be able to buy violent games from Steam?

crz

T4F

Ye our politicans are trying to get votes for upcoming elections again and due to the fact that most ppl 30+ didnt got any clue about those “violent” games it’s easy to get a lot ppl on their side…

I’m really tired from that debate in germany and in fact most ppl think that forbidding “violent” games can prevent teens from running amok. But it looks like most ppl are that naive here…

And ye they can’t stop playing these games in germany. Maybe if they would block the internet like china but this would harm the ppl 30+ too so it’s just another useless law

Iller

tGa

Well, at least I am one 30+ guy with a different opinion and a lot of experience of computer games.. :-)

kEvNx

.#mtf

ohai steam & amazon.co.uk

On that example you can see that germany is so fucked up in politics etc. They don’t know what they’re doing – Germany is one of the most countries where eSports lives :D f.e ESL – the Intel Friday Night Games, Pro Series Finals, WCG, GamesConvention, GamesCom – all these events are here in Germany (and Yeah I know in other countries, too..) so they can’t ban all computergames..

hmm maybe i should start playing pokemon ;x

Norris

Wii 2.0, fighting with zelda swords or lightsabres will be forbidden as well :>

Bones

[SAS]
[SAS]

Stop using video games as a scapegoat for more fundamental problems caused by your government.

They are just using violent games as a target and distraction so they dont have to deal with real issues but can still remain to be seen as being a progressive leadership.

Sigh, they’ll never learn

sCor

They will fail with this anyway, our politicans just keep talking crap like usual but they never managed to completely ban these games and they wont again this time.

Norris

my greatest experience when it comes down to the german law stupidy was when I discovered that they sold the official house of the dead overkill hand cannon. I did asked one of the shopmen for the game as well and he told me that he’s not allowed to sell it over here. it’s rated mature and not stored in the stores. had to ebay it from the UK. when it finally arrived over here I just laughed when I saw the lable on back of the dvd cover “assembled in germany”. this just made my day :>

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »