Forum

Which ISP?

Created 2nd August 2010 @ 20:19

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

Tobyy

TEZC
Pixie <3

Virgin Media are rock solid, on their 50mb package, download at 6000kbps on a wired connection, wireless sucks in my house which is a limiting factor but I can still pull 4500-5000kbps.
Ping wise, I get around a 25 ping to Dutch servers and any loss/lag I have is due to wireless, never the Virgin Media.
I should work in VM marketing.

dougiie

CotC

I’d like to get Bethere as Ive heard great things, but Im not sure my student house has a phone, will need to ask.

Last year at Uni we had Virgin 20MB and I gotta say it had its up’s and down’s. The router used to time out quite often, but other than that, was pretty good.

SfynX

T2P

Hi Chris,
I Would highly recommend a Virgin Media Package. they have a 10Mb internet access with wireless n/g router setup. Ive been with virgin for 5+ years and had next to no downtime, apart from some slowdowns.

check-em out.

hänsen

Team Popo!

Quoted from octochris

What on earth is up with your support hotline?

errr… you dont suppose the woman on the other side had any idea about connection issues nor computers in general. She sits in front of a (white) Computer klicking on the buttons of the “Support Tree” which suggests this useless “solutions”.

AS A FACT i recommend if you need technical support:

If it is a woman and you feel she has no idea what she’s doing (dont rage)… just tell her you want a male support guy
If she refuses or you got a male support guy with no idea: get his/her supervisor.
Often he’s the only guy who has basic knowledge about the computer stuff.

(this is not ment to be sexist in any way, but in 9 of 10 times you call a support hotline, this is sad reallity)

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from hänsen

[…]

errr… you dont suppose the woman on the other side had any idea about connection issues nor computers in general. She sits in front of a (white) Computer klicking on the buttons of the “Support Tree” which suggests this useless “solutions”.

AS A FACT i recommend if you need technical support:

If it is a woman and you feel she has no idea what she’s doing (dont rage)… just tell her you want a male support guy
If she refuses or you got a male support guy with no idea: get his/her supervisor.
Often he’s the only guy who has basic knowledge about the computer stuff.

(this is not ment to be sexist in any way, but in 9 of 10 times you call a support hotline, this is sad reallity)

I just love to complain about them wasting my time.

hänsen

Team Popo!

i once had a funny phone call at work because my display was broken (stayed black and no status light when plugged in)

i called:

Me: Hello, Mr Hänsen here. I got a problem with my Display.
She: Is it…
Me: Listen… I have tried everything.. i have pressed the power button often, switched cords, tried different computers (i didnt but who cares? i was sure it was totally broken) and it is still black with no sound. I am not new at computers and hardware stuff.
She: ok.. you will get a new one within few days.. whats your office room number?

so you see: basically no problem if you already have the solution :D

Last edited by hänsen,

Tikcus

If you’re not in a cable area, then you have a choice, of a BT based supplier or an llu.

Avoid anyone that uses the tiscali/talktalk backbone

bethere/o2 used to be prone to overselling which made their service shit for long periods (1/2 weeks) untill they improved the network (left them 18 months ago don’t know if this is still the case)

Avoid Virgin adsl products (their fair usage is 30 min of youtube video a day), i was with them for 3 days, on day 1 as soon as 4:30pm hit ping went from 20ms -150ms, on the stroke of midnight it was back down to 20ms.

Eclipse were good but went down hill.

Currently i’m using Aquiss, not the fastest download speeds, it’s expensive but month by month contract, uk staff, and a stable ping

but everyones experiences differ for lots of reasons, my suggestion don’t sign a longterm deal then if they don’t followthrough with their performance promises you can bin them and move on

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from hänsen

i once had a funny phone call at work because my display was broken (stayed black and no status light when plugged in)

i called:

Me: Hello, Mr Hänsen here. I got a problem with my Display.
She: Is it…
Me: Listen… I tried everything.. i pressed the power button often, switched cords, tried different computers (i didnt but who cares? i was sure it was totally broken) and it is still black with no sound. I am not new at computers and hardware stuff.
She: ok.. you will get a new one within few days.. whats your office room number?

so you see: basically no problem if you already have the solution :D

Mine went like this:

Me: Hello, Chris here. I’ve got a problem with my internet, it’s slow, and random sites and IPs are being blocked.
Her: Have you tried…
Me: I’ve tried restarting my router, resetting my router, clearing all caches, forwarding my ports, putting my computer in the DMZ, I’ve checked the wiring between my socket and my router and the router to my computer, and there is no problem with it, every other computer in the house also gets it so it is not computer specific, I’ve also tried with a different router, and that’s not helped either.
Her: This is way over my head, I’m going to try talking to the technical team, please stay on the line.

[10 minutes pass.]

Her: Have you tried port forwarding, or restarting your router?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

rAye.

Vuze.
T.

i have plusnet, and its amazing for me in the south west! :D used to be on tiscali with around 20 loss in the evenings pretty much all the time, no problems with plusnet at all.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2