Forum

GCF-Back-Up Request

Created 22nd August 2008 @ 17:58

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Freakadelle

Maybe some of you know the workaround to save old demos for Updates and saved some Back-Ups in the last time. So has anyone a working Back-Up after the Heavy Update?

With mine i can’t even start TF2.

http://deadworkers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3032

Wlv

RaWr ::

I don’t think its possible as when you load the game it will try and update again, I’ve noticed if you try using offline mode, if the game isn’t at the level it expects, it won’t load.

I did hear a rumour that GeekPlayer are working on a backwards compatability demo tool (they made one for lots of previous hl games), however I think its tricky as you need to edit several strings in some of the .dll files, so every time you want to view a different demo on a different update, it has to swap several things :/

StormReaper

Unless valve get involved and actually want to make old demos work, which i doubt due to numerous map changes etc… the only other way is downloading pirated tf2 versions and updating them manually patch by patch to get the demos working. Sadly that’s the only way if you’re serious about watching old demos.

Mole

DCSB
Hey dats!

yes its possible. you log into steam then turn it to offline mode, then paste your backups and over-write your gcf’s and load the game. Being as steam is in offline mode it wont get updated. My backup pre-hwg update is just over 3gb so Im afraid thats just not an option for me to upload :/

KOVACS

FML. I deleted 8 gigs of demo’s yesterday (no joke, thats about 250 demos) because I was raging at the heavy update breaking them all. I had about 2 gigs from before that didn’t work after some server-side updates were made.

So back to square one in terms of footage for a frag movie. Something I’ve wanted to do for quite some time now, but it seems every time I start, some update comes out and fucks all my demo files. Obviously I wouldnt be using so many demo’s for footage in a frag-movie, more like the best moments from 10, but regardless, I’m getting fed up of these updates breaking them.

Add A Reply Pages: 1