Forum

Generating depth of field in After Effects for Team Fortress 2 footage

Created 14th August 2009 @ 02:50

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Tuna

DCSB
Hey dats!

This tutorial will show you how to use the z-depth footage attained from using in-game command “r_depthoverlay 1” in After Effects to generate depth of field with the Lens Blur effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXbnygzmY6A&hd=1

It’ll be available in the next pldx movie config as well. Please leave feedback on the tutorial as well, first video one I’ve done, dunno whether should stick to written tutorials or create more of these.

edit: shoutout to saiboat for informing me of the command.

Looks great, gonna play around with that a bit the next time I try to create one of my abominations, thanks.

cc//

Thanks.And I have a little question.What’s your A.After Effects render options?

Tuna

DCSB
Hey dats!

Thanks.And I have a little question.What’s your A.After Effects render options?

Lossless, make it xvid with virtual dub afterwards or h264 with ffmpeg/mediacoder/mencoder

cc//

Thanks again.

Exfane

EPA
TWIN

looks frikin sweet tuna, nice work

saiboat

fu its all my ideas! ;P
didnt know this thread exists..
edit: nice video tut, though i would of kept it secret until you or me made a nice movie with the effect so the suprise effect would of been there at least a little bit :(

Cycles

lolwow

Cool effect, the video tutorial was quite painful to watch imo though :x

Also, you said the object has to be close to the camera, I don’t think this is strictly true. The depth map look like it goes white quickly, but in actual fact what’s happening is the value of the pixel is going over 1.0, and clamping to 1.0 on display. Sadly, I don’t think it’s possible to export HDR images from TF2 – because if you could, you’d have access to the full depth buffer.

However, I think if ran TF2 through PIX (DirectX SDK tool) you would be able to access the depth buffer texture, and probably export that as HDR. I might give that a try :)

thaCURSEDpie

Thanks mate, trying it now :).

Although it seems Badlands has some kind of bug with the depth overlay – some distant rocks turn up very dark =/. I’ll have to wait till I can get it into AE.

thaCURSEDpie

Ok, it’s done.

I had to play around with the blur distance, because at some points the heavy would be too far away from the camera.
At one point some far-away rocks aren’t blurred – a bug in Badlands.

And I noticed youtube doesn’t like 90 FPS videos =/.

Getting the depthmap in HDR would be awesome.

EDIT:
new one, now in slow-motion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxyIWfwCJs8

Skyride

DUCS

I Like it alot Obsidian.

Obviously, :P
90fps video streaming on the internet = insta-fail.

What? I don’t get what you mean?

thaCURSEDpie

I Like it alot Obsidian.

Obviously, :P
90fps video streaming on the internet = insta-fail.

What? I don’t get what you mean?

As you might have seen in the tutorial, the depth-map only goes a certain distance. After that, everything is white.

What Cycle mentioned a few posts up was, that it might be possible that the map continues to “expand”, only you can’t see it because pixels can’t be whiter than white. If the depthmap would be exported in High Dynamic Range, the data of the farthest away pixels would be kept available, thus the object in focus doesn’t need to be very close to the camera.

I hope this explains it a bit. Though it’s kinda hard for me to explain since I’m not a native speaker.

More info on HDR:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Cycles

lolwow

I hope this explains it a bit. Though it’s kinda hard for me to explain since I’m not a native speaker.

Don’t worry, you got it just right :)

Skyride

DUCS

Ye, I get you Obsidian, just you said HDR and I was thinking you meant depthmap being coloured. :P

metalpiss

This is awesome, didn’t know you could export z-depth from tf2 (never really interested me so far).
This may be a long shot, but is it possible to see the velocity layer from tf2 like you can z-depth?

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »