WiK?

Lol stop mad.

envy

Old ass TF2 clips are serious business.

Casual

prtyboiz
T⑨

Permission culture is a bad thing

Also the equivalent of fair use in Europe might apply.

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

he’s surely buying a new house in a month or so from the money he earns with this ILLEGAL PIRATED STOLEN COPYRIGHTED EXCLUSIVE ARTWORK

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Casual

Permission culture is a bad thing

The problem with permission culture is that it’s not a workable system. If you’re seriously suggesting that asking players for permission to use clips is anything even close, then I just don’t know what to say.

Quoted from Casual

Also the equivalent of fair use in Europe might apply.

Fair use is irrelevant as the creators of the original clip don’t own the copyright to it. No court would uphold a frag movie or clip as grounds for originality.

The point being made here isn’t one of copyright.

Last edited by octochris,

Casual

prtyboiz
T⑨

Quoted from octochris

[…]
The problem with permission culture is that it’s not a workable system.

Yeah that :p

If you’re seriously suggesting that asking players for permission to use clips is anything even close, then I just don’t know what to say.

I’m assuming you’re replying to all the people that are assuming that simply asking permission makes everything ok since I’m not at all suggesting that.

Fair use is irrelevant as the creators of the original clip don’t own the copyright to it. No court would uphold a frag movie or clip as grounds for originality.

The point being made here isn’t one of copyright.

Ah, thanks for that correction. It crossed my mind but I ignored it.

MightyMe

UbeR |

I do not think it is a really big deal since the video clips he actually used from me are not that special, it would be a different story if he would have obtained a demo from me, edited it and used it in a movie or something.
However, if he actually is making some money from all this, then we deserve our share, right? : )
My advice to siN: if you want to do similar “projects” in the future, be sure to have permission from every single owner of parts you want to include ;)

p.s. Here is the conversation between siN and me via youtube private messages:

siN:

hi
hi , can i took some clips from your youtube channel for one thing?:)

Me:

Re:hi
Hey Sin,

which files are you interested in?
(…)

siN:

scary hand, sad airshot :) i aready downolad it, and do some fun movie :D thanks

My response:

What do you mean? I’m little bit confused

siN:

you know something like fails compilation clips? so i do tf2 fails compilation from random yt clips :)

Me:

Ehm ok, not sure if I want to be in that video :p
(…)

Then he released the video, including my clips aswell as other’s which he did not have permission from, see: Shintaz.

I commented on his video saying

Hey sin i think it’s a good idea what you did here, but you should have asked permission to use these clips first :/

He replied:

hi, i ask all guys about clips :)

I replied back:

http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/57247849/file.html

siN:

fcuk,

hm, im realy sorry mate , if make you upset,hope no hard feelings, if i can help you somehow ,just say

FreezeR

CGAY&BB

XDD this funny
sin getting money for doing nothing XD thats how youtube work

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Casual

I’m assuming you’re replying to all the people that are assuming that simply asking permission makes everything ok since I’m not at all suggesting that.

I’m saying that I don’t agree with your analysis that this is representative of permission culture (asking players for permission to use a clip is nothing like it).

Last edited by octochris,

Casual

prtyboiz
T⑨

Quoted from octochris

[…]

I’m saying that I don’t agree with your analysis that this is representative of permission culture.

Err, I don’t quite follow: Stark, you, Katerfas, ipz-, dodgydogman, WARHURYEAH, dellort, SideShow are all upset (or at least, do not agree) with using these clips without ‘asking permission’.

This is implying that asking permission (and getting ‘ok, yes’) makes it all fine.

Last time I checked that was the very definition of permission culture.

sIN took a bunch of old clips and compiled them in 1 video, by doing so he added value to those clips & gave them another boost in exposure. He also linked back to all the people he took clips from (not that this by itself makes everything ok, but it shows he did not try to take credit).

Like you said, it’s unlikely there’s a copyright issue (therefore not even an issue with permission culture since it’s related to copyright).

That would (probably not though, copyright is fucked these days) mean there’s simply no legal problem with what sIN made (an entertaining video of frags I thought I’ve completely forgotten).

You’re still perfectly allowed to dislike sIN for not asking permission, I’m just pointing out that (just like you said) asking permission is not a workable system.

I don’t get it really, first you’re saying that he should have asked permission, then you say that asking permission doesn’t work… Which one is it?

ouch

double standards ftw!

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Casual

[…]

Err, I don’t quite follow: Stark, you, Katerfas, ipz-, dodgydogman, WARHURYEAH, dellort, SideShow are all upset (or at least, do not agree) with using these clips without ‘asking permission’.

This is implying that asking permission (and getting ‘ok, yes’) makes it all fine.

Last time I checked that was the very definition of permission culture.

sIN took a bunch of old clips and compiled them in 1 video, by doing so he added value to those clips & gave them another boost in exposure. He also linked back to all the people he took clips from (not that this by itself makes everything ok, but it shows he did not try to take credit).

Like you said, it’s unlikely there’s a copyright issue (therefore not even an issue with permission culture since it’s related to copyright).

That would (probably not though, copyright is fucked these days) mean there’s simply no legal problem with what sIN made (an entertaining video of frags I thought I’ve completely forgotten).

You’re still perfectly allowed to dislike sIN for not asking permission, I’m just pointing out that (just like you said) asking permission is not a workable system.

I don’t get it really, first you’re saying that he should have asked permission, then you say that asking permission doesn’t work… Which one is it?

Having to ask for permission != permission culture. You are conflating two separate things. Permission culture refers to a specific type of permission system, which is not relevant in this case.

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

Yes, yes it is.

Permission culture also refers to the mentality (assumed to be encouraged by copyright law) in which people feel that there is a moral obligation to ask for permission before sharing others’ work, or before re-using existing work as part of some new work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permission_culture

Which is the case here.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from nTraum

Yes, yes it is.

[…]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permission_culture

Which is the case here.

Completely disagree with that (unreferenced and unverified, I might add) statement.

Spike Himself

TC

Wow, such a big deal over a little misunderstanding.. It’s quite obvious from the youtube comments that MightyMe pasted that sin simply misunderstood, well, English, and that he didn’t deliberately “steal” anything. That’s in quotation marks because noone else really owns the clips either – Valve do afaik. Even if some clips were nicely edited (you could argue your editing efforts were stolen), sin’s video is merely a compilation of funny moments, not an entry to some “omg sick editing win many prizes” competition.

He could’ve made a playlist with all the “stolen” videos in it (the creators of the videos already made the clips public by putting them on youtube, right?). Instead all he did was save the viewer some time and put everything in one video.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »