Forum

720p or 1080p? Discuss!

Created 16th August 2012 @ 23:36

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Leshey

D.A
V.A.C.

Evening gentlemen. I wanted to discuss a question that has been bugging me a while now… Is there any point in making videos in 1080p resolution? It’s just that I did two different download versions of my previous movie (was in 720p btw) and according to the downloads statistics people preferred the HQ version. Now I have a fancy new monitor and I’m able to do videos in a higher resolution. But I still have some doubts that people need or want it. And doing a movie in 1080p when in the end people will stick with the 720p version is a sad waster of HDD resources and unreasonably longer rendering time.
So I’d like to hear what do you think: 720p or 1080p?

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

Surely 1080, as it’s native resolution for most displays nowadays. Also, filesize for h264 encoded videos is a joke, even with HD resolutions.

IMO no its not worth it right now. Each 1080p frame is double the size of a 720p one. If you’re making a movie and recording tga’s at 500+ fps, its just a joke how much longer it takes to record/compile/edit with/render/encode.

Trath

Quoted from CUBE

IMO no its not worth it right now. Each 1080p frame is double the size of a 720p one. If you’re making a movie and recording tga’s at 500+ fps, its just a joke how much longer it takes to record/compile/edit with/render/encode.

I’d sell my soul for the highlander movie in 1080p.

IMO if your creating a masterpiece, something you know you won’t release/”finish” with until its perfect, go 1080p and take your time.

shdwpuppet

It all depends on what you are using it for. For things like frag movies, there is literally no reason to record or render in 1080. I don’t know about eu, but most american hd broadcasts are done in 720, just because the bandwidth isn’t there for true 1080p broadcasts.

This being said, for editing work, detail oriented work etc, 1080 is almost a must. All broadcast packages I prepare for extv are done natively in 1080 and only resized if necessary

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

I actually wondered why so many popular moviemakers only offer 720p versions of their vids on Youtube. A properly encoded 720p video looks fine at a decent bitrate, but Youtube severely caps the maximum bitrates for uploaded videos. Aside from the video getting worse-looking because of reduced bitrate, it also suffers in quality because of a 2nd lossy recompression pass.

I checked some self-uploaded 720p videos and if I redownload them in either WebM or MP4, the average bitrate maxes out at a little above 2.5Mbps. This is really low for 720p footage, and certainly for video game footage or anything that happens on your pc, because the information is sharp to the pixel (as opposed to live-action video where there are no shapes that take exactly x amount of pixels). Add to that the mediocre frameblending that is often used (Vegas style), and things become quite a blurry mess (please videomakers, use SrcDemo2!).

Uploading in 1080p gives you double the bitrate, which is still shit imo (1080p video game footage should be at least 10Mbps) but does compensate slightly for the bitrate reduction. For a movie editor, it should be a no-brainer… You spent all this time making a great looking fragvid only to have it blurrified by Youtube? At least keep the quality reduction to a minimum!

tl;dr: youtube 720p is shitty 720p, the popular methods of frameblending don’t help either, do everything to keep high quality on YT so please render and upload in 1080p and use SrcDemo2 for less blurry flameblending okthanksbye ;)

(disclaimer: this above is assuming that i’m far from the only one seeing the difference between the 2 resolutions and the low bitrates… if that’s not the case, nvm then xD)

Last edited by skeej,

BoneS

swimp
ciortai

what about 1440p?

beach

[DA]
[DA]

I use 720 purely the reasons that Cube stated…would take far too long and use up way more space using 1080p

Leshey

D.A
V.A.C.

Quoted from beach

I use 720 purely the reasons that Cube stated…would take far too long and use up way more space using 1080p

but if you had to choose what to watch, what would you prefer?

ash

(Legend)
:D

1080p. I prefer downloading them from a not-YT site anyways, for proper quality.

shdwpuppet

Frag clip: 720

Masterpiece frag movie (full length) with proper colour grading (none of that quick filter shit), effects and good music: 1080p (with a proper good audio bitrate encoding) and offer it for download or upload to a site like vimeo (that doesnt take a video and rape it up the quality).

beach

[DA]
[DA]

Quoted from Leshey

[…]
but if you had to choose what to watch, what would you prefer?

hmm, i guess i just watch it in the highest quality the uploader offers, i’m not too fussed which :p

Qun

GoT<3

720p for the reason Cube mentioned.

Lateralus

Quoted from BoneS

what about 1440p?

That’s 16:10 innit?

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from Lateralus

[…]
That’s 16:10 innit?