Forum

[Contest Entry WIP] CP_YUKON (formerly Ash Ridge)

Created 27th February 2009 @ 00:51

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 7 Next »

shifty

Sir

oh btw, download link doesnt work and i tried to decipher the link as well, i.e. take parts of it and use that but still doesnt work.

trainRiderJ

Try harder shifty :p

http://mangy.2fort2furious.com/cp_yukon_a1.bsp

This should work

MangyCarface

Thank you for correcting my link.

Sad Giraffe

Mani

I just ran trough this map, it looks like it could be an awesome map.

The middle looks really good, but you could make the rocks a bit bigger so scouts can use them to jump up to bridge.

2nd point could use some smoothing out so you dont get stuck in the corners of the stairs right around point, nothing pisses me more off than when i get killed cause i got stuck in some stupid thing that really should have been smoothed out. Also… red and blue 2nd points arent the same, on blue side theres a ledge on the outside you can jump on to, on red side its completely flat and you fall to the ground. I like the ledge out there. It does alot for scouts and makes them even more hard pesky bastards to kill.

Also when you theme the map, dont be afraid to put snowbanks or grass or whatever on the ground for demo to hide stickies in, around key points on the map.

crz

T4F

had a look at it too. first impression is great

the size is really good and the points are having a nice design. only thing i would change is the lower way from 2nd to middle

i would place it (view from 2nd cp) on the right next to the wall so you got the 3 entrances in the middle on top, left and right instead of top and left twice. i think this will change the gameplay a lot especially for scouts. cause actually you “only” have to look on the right sight, when coming into middle

and as kodyl mentioned everything should be mirrored in a competetive map

MangyCarface

The lack of symmetry is curious, as I simply rotated, copied and retextured. I’ll address that for alpha 2.

Your idea of moving the entrance sounds interesting; but it’s usually most helpful to supply a paintover of the area you’ve mentioned and the changes you’d want so that the mapmaker knows exactly what you mean. Thank you!

Just had a look, and it doesn’t look bad at all. Would like great with snowy textures (as has been mentioned before). Looks promising!

crz

T4F

Ok i made two pictures for better understanding

http://www.stbln.de/temp/yukon_change1.jpg
http://www.stbln.de/temp/yukon_change2.jpg

thats only a suggestion. but as you can see you got from red’s point of view (pic2) three entrances on the right so you easaly can go left and cant be flanked that soon. if you can shift the entrance maybe half behind the rocks there is more place for variations and tactics imo

but you can correct me if im wrong i only had a look on the empty map.

and you maybe dont need to shift the entrance of pic1 cause you could make a S-tunel so there were no need for the “hill” you made into that tunnel to prevent having a view through

MangyCarface

Thanks for the paintovers crz- that’s exactly the kind of feedback that can be most helpful.
I sincerely like your idea and think it’d add a different dynamic to the area.
However, I am worried that the bottom tunnel will then become overused due to its shorter pathway going from initial spawn to middle CP.
Although an altered, longer tunnel would solve this problem, I fear tunnels as they produce chokey, spammy gameplay.

So while I won’t immediately implement your suggestion without some 6v6 playtesting, I definitely would keep that option on the table. Thank you!

Akill

fantastic map, the massiveness of cp3 was abit strange, but the fact that you can easily control one half makes it great gameplay imo, its just a new experience, i love the bridge up top.

cp2 was also something great and new. being able to push in through the lower side gives some awesome options for both sides, attackers could sneak in soldiers and straight to the point if the defenders are too far forward. Its possible to sneak in soldiers to backcap because of the small health pack and the height advantage of that ramp. Id love to see that, flanks are great to pull of on this map and i think an experienced co-ordinated team would thrive on the tactical options the pathways between areas present.

one interesting point to make: when u spawn to attack cp1. you spawn at the far side of mid point, and you can cover that expanse in one jump as soldier/demo, and theres a med health pack waiting for u. not sure how this effects defenders attacking into cp1 as reinforcing teams will make it to defend quicker/better shape

i dont think that tunnel crz mentioned should be moved, its fine where it is.

crz

T4F

yes i have to agree, it feels quite well using the lower tunnel. keep it like it is :)

F2

Danmark

Just played this map, seems really good. The middle point is quite fun to play. I think the first point captures too fast, especially when you take into consideration how large the area around 1st point is. It’s really difficult to defend.

MangyCarface

I had a similar feeling in both my 32p tests and the awesome rounds I got to sit in on. Even just doubling the cap time from 1sec to 2 might be interesting. Further input may be required.

tarmo-

<3 Fruit

way too huge

rest were ok

MangyCarface

“Huge” is too general to be any sort of effective criticism. Discuss sightlines, specific regions, etc to help out the best. Scaling happens to be my specialty, though, and I am really happy with the current size. Middle is smaller than badlands’, if you can imagine that. The appearance of size can be deceiving.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 7 Next »