Forum

Promotion format

Created 31st May 2009 @ 18:58

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

I know it’s been mentioned here and there in random threads and stuff, but just thought i’d put a suggestion here.

To decide the teams that get promotion and win division one, I feel a system where by the top 4 teams playoff for the spot like so:

G1 – 4th plays 3rd,
G2 – Winner of G1 plays 2nd (loser = 3rd place)
Final – Winner of G2 plays 1st (winner = 1st place, loser = 2nd place).

What this effectively does, is rewards teams for their standing in the league, but ultimatly makes the end of the season more entertaining. It also means that a team that did really well in the early stages of the season and then lost all their players, won’t get promoted into a division they are not ready for. The end games will be the closest games to the following season so it’s quite a realistic performance based on how capable they are at the end of the season.

I don’t think they should be single games either though, maybe best of 3, or even 5 maps spread over a couple of days, this allows for a deserving winner to take promotion or the league title, not just a one off fluke. Obviously we don’t want a poor team being promoted based on a single lucky game.

Another advantage to this method is that the league isn’t decided 3 weeks in advance. The actual league gets you a place in the playoffs, the playoffs is the _real_ competition, a bit like a cup. Winner goes through, loser.. GL next season.

It also gives teams lower down their division more incentive mid season to try harder. If they can push to 4th place they get a shot at the playoffs. Pushing to 4th is more achieveable for some teams than trying to push to 2nd or 1st. You would get more interesting games rather than people slacking off once their fate is decided early on.

Just a suggestion but I think the admins should really consider it. I feel it would add a lot to the league.

KOVACS

+1

seraph

rEJ

+1 for the spectacle

The Postman

I’ve gotta say, that does look pretty good.

flushy

P.O.P

+1 but im sure the admins have given some thought to this already.

exm

Great idea. I like it!

julieN1

cQr

i agree but im not sure this should be applied to all divisions

im not sure of what im gonna say but i think you said to apply this to div1 to decide winners and to div2 to decide the teams that move up, right?

kaidus

WiK?

I know the admins have an issue with extending playoffs due to the additional time required for each season.

Plus this system seems kind of dodgy. The team that comes first in a division could have won all their games, then get unlucky in one and the whole season was for nothing.

Bones

[SAS]
[SAS]

agree with kadius, although more games = better average

Depch

G1 – 4th plays 3rd,
G2 – Winner of G1 plays 2nd (loser = 3rd place)
Final – Winner of G2 plays 1st (winner = 1st place, loser = 2nd place).

Prefer way from ice hockey where G1 would be 1st vs 4th and G2 2nd vs 3rd. The one ARX suggested could leave the better team as 3rd compared 2nd team. 3rd could’ve won both teams in playoffs then. Way I prefered the standings from regular season would have a meaning. 1st would get the “easier” clan against. Why would anyone seeded 1st want to be placed there if they have to meet up the second best team on first round. Really makes no sense. :p

Also I would not have direct relegations and promotions in div1 nor div2. Clans should play for their spots there. Thus having the better/more deserving clan stay up. Like for example there could be a few teams raping in div3 atm. Where as they might be better than the teams that got their spot for div2 and will get raped there. So the mindset when going for upper division should be if we fare well, we will deserve a chance to play for a spot in upper division. :]

playoffs like between div1-div2;
Div1#9 vs (G1; Div2a winner vs Div2b second)
Div1#10 vs (G2; Div2a second vs Div2b winner)

Something similar could be done between div2-div3 playoffs. That would ensure that the best teams are playing in top.

Oggy

A league is a league at the end of the season who ever finishes top should win

Memento Mori

Nah. Just assess the teams in the top 2 spots. If they still have a team, put them up a division, (attempt to switch it up and make it so you don’t end up with the same teams fighting together), and drop the bottom two of the division above.

Then the people who have won most matches get put through, not someone who could theoretically in low divisions just ride on some defaults then get lucky at the end matches.

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Why would anyone seeded 1st want to be placed there if they have to meet up the second best team on first round. Really makes no sense. :p

*Oh, you have it wrong. They wouldn’t meet the 2nd place team on the first round. The first round would be a match between 4th and 3rd. The second round would be the winner of that game vs 2nd place. The 3rd round would be the winner of that game vs 1st place. Being first means you skip straight to the finals of the playoffs. A fantastic award and motivation for coming first right?*

The second team in the league could be knocked out by the 3rd or 4th placed team before they even reach the final.

Of course it makes sense…

The 4th placed team would have to win THREE games in a row to take the title.
The 3rd placed team would also have to win THREE games in a row to take the title
(No real reward for coming 3rd or 4th except you could apply map choice or something)
(You could consider these equal playoff spots otherwise)

The 2nd placed team would have to win TWO games in a row to take the title
The 1st placed team would have to win ONE game to take the title.

Any form of title deciding playoff could mean that the team that came 1st in the league could lose their title based on 1 game. This system means they only have 1 chance to lose out on the title. The 2nd placed team has 2 chances to lose out, the 3rd and 4th have 3 chances.

With reguards to the 3rd and 4th place issue of them being the same. 3rd place could decide the decider map if it’s needed. This gives them a clear advantage of being able to pick one of their strongest maps (or their opponents weakest map) if they can get the series to a 1-1 situation.

There is no doubt that it will be harder for a 4th place team to finish first in their division. If they do manage to beat the top 3 teams in a row, then surely they would be deserving winners?

It also adds an ‘all or nothing’ situation to the league. All or nothing is exciting. I know for sure I would enjoy playing/casting the playoffs in this format.

Ijantis

+1 for acidrenix
it would also help with skill balancing imo

Vlijm

UbeR |

A league is a league at the end of the season who ever finishes top should win

+1

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »