Forum

Can we request a hard division 6?

Created 12th January 2013 @ 16:07

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 8 Next »

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

SEASON SCHEDULE
The regular season has 7 match weeks, followed up by a catch-up week and three weeks of title playoffs in Premiership or two weeks of potential tiebreakers for other divisions. Here’s the full schedule:

Signups: January 2 – 9
Seeding: January 9 – 11
Publishing of Provisional Divisions: January 12
Schedule Week: January 13 – 19
Main Season: January 20 – March 2 (7 weeks)
Catch-up Week: March 10 – 16
Playoffs: March 17 – April 6

So instead of ‘potential tiebreakers’, a playoff tournament for every division with multiple subdivisions. Is that enough thought, emb?

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

Quoted from fraac

[…]

So instead of ‘potential tiebreakers’, a playoff tournament for every division with multiple subdivisions. Is that enough thought, emb?

Well, you can’t have it instead of because the tiebreaker is to decide who is the winner. And i’m guessing only each sub-division winner should be eligible for this title of the whole div thing.

There’s currently what? 16 div 6 tables or something, based on S13, so 8 fixtures – 4 rounds to a single elimination. I’m not convinced really that it would get done in a smaller timescale. If the timescales need expanding then i’m guessing it will have a knock-on impact on being able to run 3 seasons a year, rather than 2.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

I’m sure this is really easy to work out, and is clearly the correct solution. There should be actual champions of each division. It’s so much more fun. I don’t believe it’s my job to work out the details, though I can if no one else wants to.

I see the provisional divisions have been published. The strong-but-new teams I was referring to have mostly been placed in 6, though some weaker ones are in 5. Does this matter? I suppose people can do whatever they want.

Spike Himself

TC

Or just add Div 7. Div 6 might just get a little more competitive that way. The skill gap between top div 6 and bottom 6 can be huge, and the same goes for div 5. Top div 5 and bottom div 6 is massive (more so than, for example top div 3 and bottom div 4).

There’s no way to prove any of this though, it’s just based on my experience.

Kaneco

Quoted from Spike Himself

Or just add Div 7. Div 6 might just get a little more competitive that way. The skill gap between top div 6 and bottom 6 can be huge, and the same goes for div 5. Top div 5 and bottom div 6 is massive (more so than, for example top div 3 and bottom div 4).

There’s no way to prove any of this though, it’s just based on my experience.

I would be up for a div 7

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

You don’t think a tournament to crown division champions would be more fun?

Leif

Quoted from fraac

You don’t think a tournament to crown division champions would be more fun?

It has been said tons of time that it would, but there’s no time for it with the actual schedule. That would mean playing only 2 season per year, which is still worse than having those playoffs.
Also who really cares who’s the best of div 6 once you have proven to be strong enough for going div 5.

This make a harder div 6 makes no sense at all btw imo.
Even if we make a div 7, there will be someone that sooner or later will ask “make a harder div 7” – which is supposed to be made of, if I have understood right, of new comp players – because they have improved very fast or seem to be pretty talented.

Although there’s indeed a huge difference between top div 6 and bottom div 6, it’s true as well that between top div 6 and bottom div 5 there’s no big difference, so that div 6 wouldnt make sense at all to exist if that div 7 were created.

Last edited by Leif,

Setsul

Imho the problem is not that some teams in div6 are too bad, but that some teams in div6 are too good and some in div5 are too bad. Not the general skill difference between div5 and 6 is the problem, the skill gap within the groups and the skill difference between the groups is the problem.

This problem should be fixed (at least for div5) thanks to the new application rules. We won´t see teams that never played a pcw sign up for div5 anymore.

One problem remains: If for example one mid div6 team and 7 low div6 teams get seeded in one group, the mid div6 team will roll trough and get an automatic promotion. One way to prevent that would be to cancel automatic promotions for div6, so they´d have to submit some screenshots.

This creates the new problem that some teams might have had problems or just didn´t bother to collect screenshots and therefore get seeded in div6 again, although they are ready for div5.

To make it easier for them we could add voluntary playoffs where the best 32 or something of the teams that applied fight for “1st, 2nd and 3rd Division 6 Overall”-pixel trophies and the best 8 or something like that get promoted to div5.

In voluntary playoffs 2 matches per weeks shouldn´t be a problem, since teams that actually want to put some effort into getting into div5 would be pcwing/scrimming more than once a week.

Last edited by Setsul,

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Quoted from Leif

Also who really cares who’s the best of div 6 once you have proven to be strong enough for going div 5.

Yeah, and ultimately why should anyone care about anything except Prem? Great point. In fact scrap ETF2L and let’s all watch ESEA Invite.

Hallow

P.O.P

Quoted from fraac

[…]

Yeah, and ultimately why should anyone care about anything except Prem? Great point. In fact scrap ETF2L and let’s all watch ESEA Invite.

Eh, I don’t know where you’ve been, but last I checked no one cared about winning anything but Prem. You play the season for fun and for experience. Winning gives you a promotion, but that can be done through screenshots anyway and doesn’t matter that much,

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

Quoted from Hallow

[…]
Eh, I don’t know where you’ve been, but last I checked no one cared about winning anything but Prem. You play the season for fun and for experience. Winning gives you a promotion, but that can be done through screenshots anyway and doesn’t matter that much,

Yeah, lets all just fuck around in pcws and officials. Who cares about winning anyways, we don’t get money or hardware for it, why should we try to win. If anything we should all just stop playing and go do something else since winning this is so incredibly fruitless.
fffffffffffffffffffffffffflawwwlesss logic

Hallow

P.O.P

Quoted from cmd

[…]
Yeah, lets all just fuck around in pcws and officials. Who cares about winning anyways, we don’t get money or hardware for it, why should we try to win. If anything we should all just stop playing and go do something else since winning this is so incredibly fruitless.
fffffffffffffffffffffffffflawwwlesss logic

People play to win, and winning gets them to Prem. If you fuck around you’re not gonna get there. I was just saying that it’s not important to be the best of div6, since there’s already 6 divisions for people who are. The rules allow a certain amount of teams from each subdivision to go up, if you qualify, you get to play versus better opponents. Winning = Advancing. Having a playoff for div 6 because people want to feel good about themselves is a waste of time.

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

Quoted from Hallow

[…]
People play to win, and winning gets them to Prem. If you fuck around you’re not gonna get there. I was just saying that it’s not important to be the best of div6, since there’s already 6 divisions for people who are. The rules allow a certain amount of teams from each subdivision to go up, if you qualify, you get to play versus better opponents. Winning = Advancing. Having a playoff for div 6 because people want to feel good about themselves is a waste of time.

What is this ‘fun’ thing I keep hearing about

Last edited by cmd,

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

We have given a lot of thought to playoffs for every division before, and they are not currently possible due to their massive impact on the schedule.

A playoff between 8 division winners would take three weeks. A playoff between 16 division winners would take four. Playoffs can only happen after ties for first place have been resolved.

As you can see, playoffs for all divisions would turn a ETF2L season into a marathon lasting over 3 months, which would be taxing even for high division teams, especially without tangible prizes like in Premiership. Becoming a champion of your division is worth little when you win the playoffs by default wins.

Last but not least, Divisions 5 and 6 are entry-level divisions. Your goal in these divisions is to learn to become an organized team and overcome the challenges of consistent practice, playing on time and maintaining your players’ interest.

As for Division 6, it’s biggest problem is that of being an entry level division. By definition, an entry level division gathers over a hundred applications from teams who have little to none ETF2L history, or rate their own skill as entry-level even if they do. You cannot manually seed a division where most teams have nothing to indicate their actual skill level. Creating Division 7 and designating it as the newcomer division would only move the problem down the chain, not solve it.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Quoted from emb

A playoff between 8 division winners would take three weeks. A playoff between 16 division winners would take four. Playoffs can only happen after ties for first place have been resolved. … As for Division 6, it’s biggest problem is that of being an entry level division. By definition, an entry level division gathers over a hundred applications from teams who have little to none ETF2L history, or rate their own skill as entry-level even if they do. You cannot manually seed a division where most teams have nothing to indicate their actual skill level.

I would schedule the playoff tournaments to happen over a weekend. This solves more problems than it raises and most importantly optimises fun. And that’s the point, right?

As for the difficulty of seeding low division teams, I notice that you rate league experience over skill, leading to some anomalous seedings. Simply because, as you say, you have no indication of their skill. But I do. I’ve played with hundreds of low division players and have networked stats on thousands of them. I could easily produce many competitive division 5s and 6s with only a few errors. You didn’t know this, but in future if you want a more competitive and fun league and can swallow your pride, feel free to ask for help.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 8 Next »