Forum

Vanilla + medlocks (+ maps, apparently)

Created 3rd May 2011 @ 15:07

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 22 23 24 ... 46 Next »

Alx

SNSD-jjang ♥

Quoted from Buffalo Bill

[…]

Maybe it is and maybe it isn’t, but Sandvich makes the ‘passive’ heavy ridiculous. 600+HP to kill. Sure is “fun” and “balanced”.

Kill the rest of the team first, ignore the heavy, then focus him. Or the other way around, only focus him first, depending on how good the heavy’s positioning is.

There are certainly ways of countering heavy very effectively, just because most teams don’t know how to handle a heavy doesn’t make it OP.

For Darn, sandvich meant “2 more seconds to live for the heavy” (he posted that in some thread a week ago or so) – that’s how much of a sitting duck you are against good teams, even with Sandvich, unless you play smart as a team.

Last edited by Alx,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

You can play agro hwg without sandvich, your shotgun does 50-90 dmg (depending on the distance) if you can actually aim. So get close using shotgun doing 50-70 dmg shots and then whoop out the machine gun??

dauk

you play heavy I think we got it.

erratic

Quoted from dauk

you play heavy I think we got it.

Alx

SNSD-jjang ♥

Quoted from Koeitje

You can play agro hwg without sandvich, your shotgun does 50-90 dmg (depending on the distance) if you can actually aim. So get close using shotgun doing 50-70 dmg shots and then whoop out the machine gun??

Doing that, our uber will be forced too early and I won’t be able to come close enough to force the other team to multiuber enough, to be able to finish people off after both ubers run out.

Last edited by Alx,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Alx

[…]

Doing that our uber will be forced too early and I won’t be able to come close enough to force the other team to multiuber enough to be able to finish people off after both ubers run out.

Who says the heavy has to go in first? You know you can make the enemy uber before you? You know that you don’t have to run in with the medic right away? you are stuck in the mindset that every heavy class on your team has to push at the same time through the same choke….I don’t know how you can even try to explain why you want a sandvich or whatever the fuck if you don’t even understand the basics?

And as xzar said, hwg is really good to move in after the ubers run out. Because those are usually situations when players from both teams are close together.

Last edited by Koeitje,

xzr

Quoted from Alx

[…]

Doing that our uber will be forced too early and I won’t be able to come close enough to force the other team to multiuber enough to be able to finish people off after both ubers run out.

push in with a demo and make way for your heavy, bring the heavy in and rape people when ubers run out?

Wabbeh

Heavy is such a damage sponge he needs to stick permanently on the medic’s butt, soaking up the team’s heals (which whilst being detrimental balances the heavy’s superior firepower) OR the heavy needs to lug his slow ass over to a health pack (which he gets the most benefit out of) either taking him out of the fight or at least slowing him down for it. Again, a way to balance his superior firepower. Sandvich means that a heavy can become part of the fight from the onset in some cases, rendering it impossible for the enemy team to match the damage that he gives out.
tl;dr ban sandvich makes boring class heavy even more OP. Maybe before the heavy buffs it was ok but now?

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Wabbeh

Heavy is such a damage sponge he needs to stick permanently on the medic’s butt, soaking up the team’s heals (which whilst being detrimental balances the heavy’s superior firepower) OR the heavy needs to lug his slow ass over to a health pack (which he gets the most benefit out of) either taking him out of the fight or at least slowing him down for it. Again, a way to balance his superior firepower. Sandvich means that a heavy can become part of the fight from the onset in some cases, rendering it impossible for the enemy team to match the damage that he gives out.
tl;dr ban sandvich makes boring class heavy even more OP. Maybe before the heavy buffs it was ok but now?

If your positioning, and especially your timing, is dreadful you are gonna need the sandvich yeah.

Alx

SNSD-jjang ♥

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]
Who says the heavy has to go in first? You know you can make the enemy uber before you? You know that you don’t have to run in with the medic right away? you are stuck in the mindset that every heavy class on your team has to push at the same time through the same choke….I don’t know how you can even try to explain why you want a sandvich or whatever the fuck if you don’t even understand the basics?

And as xzar said, hwg is really good to move in after the ubers run out. Because those are usually situations when players from both teams are close together.

Yes, what you are saying is the passive way of playing heavy, come in afterwards and deal damage when both teams are out of ubers.

I think we are the only ones playing aggressive heavy not passive, and it works.

The way we try to play with heavy sometimes (its situational) is to get me right into a crowd of 3-4 people, and by getting the heavy in first, right in the centre, the other team will have to turn their backs to others in our team, and have a heavy shooting them in the chest with no distance, and they will also take massive damage during their multi-ubering, and be weak afterwards.

Depending on how early our uber is forced compared to theirs, I either use the sandvich while getting in position, or alternatively, if we’re forced early, ill use it to dodge and try to survive when our uber has run out and their is still going, to be able to turn around and damage/kill as soon as their uber is gone.

It’s high risk, high reward, and it’s fun.

We usually have a soldier jumping and forcing them if it’s possible, but I’m talking about situations when that doesn’t work.

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]
if you don’t even understand the basics?

I think we do.

Last edited by Alx,

dauk

I don’t think you understand the vanilla concept. Either we do not allow anything or we allow everything. Even if you’re right about sandwich the main argument is that no unlocks would be allowed. Otherwise there will be more people like you who play pyro and want their aq and flare gun etc.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

If the other team ubers in a hwg we just force and jump away??? If by agressive you mean really fucking stupid, yeah then you are playing agressive. Passive aggresive is what you should try ;).

Last edited by Koeitje,

Gubbins

Op4

Quoted from Alx

[…]
Depending on how early our uber is forced compared to theirs, I either use the sandvich while getting in position

So you’re basically saying that you need the sanvich to get in to position because heavy is too slow to do it without losing too much health? Isn’t that the point of heavy and why GRU isn’t allowed?

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from Alx

[…]

Yes, what you are saying is the passive way of playing heavy, come in afterwards and deal damage when both teams are out of ubers.

I think we are the only ones playing aggressive heavy not passive, and it works.

The way we try to play with heavy sometimes (its situational) is to get me right into a crowd of 3-4 people, and by getting the heavy in first, right in the centre, the other team will have to turn their backs to others in our team, and have a heavy shooting them in the chest with no distance, and they will also take massive damage during their multi-ubering, and be weak afterwards.

Depending on how early our uber is forced compared to theirs, I either use the sandvich while getting in position, or alternatively, if we’re forced early, ill use it to dodge and try to survive when our uber has run out and their is still going, to be able to turn around and damage/kill as soon as their uber is gone.

It’s high risk, high reward, and it’s fun.

We usually have a soldier jumping and forcing them if it’s possible, but I’m talking about situations when that doesn’t work.

[…]
I think we do.

Although it is fun to face a perma heavy, when we play you, not every class is going to be viable all the time, for example engineer or a spy, if they had an item (cough wrangler cough) that allowed them to be played as a perma-class rather than situational I don’t think it owuld mkae the game better. You want an aggressive heavy, so why not allow aggressive engineers and allow the gunslinger?

Alx

SNSD-jjang ♥

Quoted from Gubbins

[…]

So you’re basically saying that you need the sanvich to get in to position because heavy is too slow to do it without losing too much health? Isn’t that the point of heavy and why GRU isn’t allowed?

If I have to use the sandvich already that early, our push is usually set to fail, since I need it to try to survive when the ubers run out, since our uber usually ends first.

But this is also why playing against good-teamwork teams is hard as aggro heavy, because they will focus me at the right time when I don’t want them to.

Quoted from CrashSite

[…]
Although it is fun to face a perma heavy, when we play you, not every class is going to be viable all the time, for example engineer or a spy, if they had an item (cough wrangler cough) that allowed them to be played as a perma-class rather than situational I don’t think it owuld mkae the game better. You want an aggressive heavy, so why not allow aggressive engineers and allow the gunslinger?

I wouldn’t mind having that, I’m not afraid of change and to try new things as some others are. You have to make a sacrifice anyway, just as with heavy. You give up mobility with heavy and a lot of other things, with engi there would be other cons. More classes involved is always fun.

Last edited by Alx,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 22 23 24 ... 46 Next »