Forum

I45 TF2 Tournament Feedback Thread

Created 8th May 2012 @ 10:21

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

FireStorm

-9m-

Normally this is made on the MP forum but it makes more sense here. So let me have it guys what worked what didn’t. Anything we could do better for next event in my eye it went pretty darn well but I am open for any improvements.

Things like :-

Map pool – We kept it to all 5cp maps bar one koth to mix it a little in the group stage. Would you like to see a wider variety of maps like obscure or even more gametypes like gravel pit? (Tapley will hate me for this)

Morning start times – Due to the casting requirements we had a few games to get through so we started at 10 am on the Saturday morning. The 1st game is always to hardest to get people to attend would it make a difference being at 11 or 12?

Unlock rules – Its unlikely that we will deviate from etf2l standard unlock rules is this what people want imo a single universal ruleset is best for the game if you like the ruleset or not. As most the matches take place online rather than at lan events it makes sense to copy it this way round.

Feedback on the highlander fun tourney – Hydro, enough said, you know we won it :D

FireStorm

Enef

fest
#wubafan

From purely a spectator point of view (and occasional graphics worker) the schedule was perfect. It was easy to understand (once it got away from Clanforge) and know who was playing, when they were playing and what maps it was being played on. I honestly wish more TF2 was this well organised scheduling wise, so that more matches could be casted etc etc.

You’ve heard my rants about Clanforge, hate the fucking thing, always have. Make it as easy as possible for your spectators and teams to get the information they need, don’t make them jump through hoops for it etc.

REALLY excellent work from yourself, as well as Tappers being the front man as usual ;) <3

IMO you and Tapley run a fantastic tournament. Things seemed to run super smoothly and from vtv’s point of view, having you both available with stvs etc was awesome.

Couple of things I’d say:

PLEASE make sure you have the servers set up so they auto record stv demos and an easy way for us to download them. Not having pov or stv demos from the i43 final nearly made bones cry, and nobody wants to see that.

Keep etf2l rules and unlocks.

Map pool wise I think its ok, maybe just do what etf2l does again. Viaduct in the group stages is fine imo, but if these yanks DO come over, we can’t have them choosing it in the map pick stages! I really think that gravelpit should be included, I understand that in the group stages it could delay games as there’s no time limit, but in the later stages it is literally the most exciting map to spectate.

Definately keep the highlander fun tournament, I can imagine that being a huge success at i46 when there are loads of teams, maybe don’t play hydro though! :) seriously what the fuck was that map!!?

As for starting early, 10am is certainly a push, but I think it’s ok. Like most games had started by 11 since people knew that it was meant to start at 10. If you say it’s meant to start at 12, people probably still wouldn’t start till 1.

Also, not really tournament related but skyride mentioned it on vtf2. We should 100% try and get tf2 to all sit together.

Nonetheless, you guys run a super slick tournament. Nobindsplease.

Black_Bob

[DA]

I think 11am would be a much more social time to start a tournament if the time limits were possible, this would allow the less healthy members of each team some vital time to recover and get breakfast!

9 vs 9 was ace and people actaully want to play it so definatly keep it :D

The map pool seemed fine to me in the group stages, maps like gravlepit allow for an upset vs some teams (and upsets in group stages are always good at lan :D) but if any extra maps are included they should be stock maps with the game, otherwise theres a chance you will alienate any of the public players from the communities we drag along.

Yet in the knock out stages when all the pubbers are dead and gone feel free to add custom maps :)

Skyride

DUCS

The 10am start time was an amazingly bad idea. 11 or 12 would have been much better. You’re effectively giving people ~10hrs to go to the bar, have a drink, go get sleep, get a shower/wash/whatever, then be back at their PC’s. Let’s be honest, nobody goes “ye man, i’m going to get an early night so i can do really well tomorow”.

I don’t think it mattered too much this lan since top 4 out 5 advance, but certainly i46 it’s something worth changing.

Otherwise, everything was absolutely solid and you guys did an amazing job as always!

IPZIE

SUAVE

nvm

Last edited by IPZIE,

kaidus

WiK?

+1 gpit
+1 10am (it’s fucking heart breaking when you wrench yourself out of bed to be there on time only to get a default win cause the other team did not…)
+1 good job
+1 seating

BoneS

swimp
ciortai

How would things be for time though if you started the tourney later when you got like 40+ teams. Is there enough hours in the day to squeeze them all in?

FireStorm

-9m-

Quoted from BoneS

How would things be for time though if you started the tourney later when you got like 40+ teams. Is there enough hours in the day to squeeze them all in?

We only had one game a hour on Saturday so you we can simply run more games at once instead of spacing it out for the casting. Also it did not help some teams and players not getting here till 7:30 on the Friday evening when the lan is meant to begin on the Friday morning.

FireStorm

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Cheers for the feedback guys!

And yes its a trade off of either starting early on Friday (Which most people use for travel or getting home from work) or starting late on friday and earlier on sat. 10am isnt *that* bad, Just go to bed at 3am wake up at 9am, thats 6 hours sleep you kids should be able to handle that!?. Í’m sure if we start at 11am people will still rock up at 11:30am.

But all will be considered when we get an idea of our stage time on the sunday and also how many teams are attending and the time of the puib quiz (MPUK do not allow us to go into that time), which all contribute to our schedule. Also the later we start the less games we can cast :[.

Gravelpit is indeed awesome to watch, its just a cunt from time keeping perspective, as you first of all have to get people to play the map on time (hard) the map can go to bo3 and also between rounds people run away for a piss and eats up more time.

FIR

SnG

Loved how things went tbh. It was worth having that 10am fiasco which sprouted the RIP Hildreth :3

Besides the little hiccup we had on viaduct where someone told us it was bo3 instead of bo5, the tournament was well spaced out. The idea of giving each team their few minutes of fame live was a great idea imo, our team (and surely others) were motivated not to let down our viewers at that time. Perhaps for future casting schedules, it would be worth checking out the seedings and players in a team beforehand (group stages) and casting closer matches instead of steamrolls (Viaduct will forever be seared in my head). Pretty sure Byte would have loved to cast Crazy-8D group stage match instead of the abysmally short, confusing and disappointingly godawful steamroll by Anal Prolapse (twice).

Regardless, we all had fun anyways, much gratitude to the people who made it happen <3

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

Enjoyed the tournament, it was well organized (needs more gravelpit) and I loved that everyone got a chance to be on VanillaTV.

Only improvement I would like is that Hildreth is given some sort of tracking device the next i series he attends :D

Gubbins

Op4

Quoted from kaidus

+1 gpit
+1 10am (it’s fucking heart breaking when you wrench yourself out of bed to be there on time only to get a default win cause the other team did not…)
+1 good job
+1 seating

This and also please tell us if you’re gonna change the map

Greg

TEZC

gpit in the pool please, such an interesting map and teamwork at lan makes it even better.
dont mind 10am so we dont have to play until 1am like at i43, 11am would be nice though.
really nice job at this event
try to get us all sat together like at i39, i40, i42, i43. I know its a lot of effort on your part Tapley but the event is so much more interesting with us all together.
I like via, but if you want it in leave it just for groups.
I also enjoyed turbine at i43 was really tense, if your gonna put it in do it in advance though, and let people know!

kaidus

WiK?

Quoted from Gubbins

[…]

This and also please tell us if you’re gonna change the map

This actually. Can’t believe I forgot it, but yea really. If there’s a mistake, you HAVE to go with what you told the teams. Sorry if that doesn’t fit into your plans, but you cannot punish the teams because you or the system fucked up. If the system says badlands all day then we come to play and you meant for it to say gullywash, tough tits tbh. It’s not the teams fault so why should they be punished?

But yea sick job apart from few small things.

Last edited by kaidus,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »