Forum

[DISCONTINUED] Link-M0re Square HUD

Created 10th January 2011 @ 03:14

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 12 13 14 15 Next »

ell

(ETF2L Donator)

Version 2 http://code.google.com/p/squarehud/
– Removed the big spec bar of death. http://i52.tinypic.com/3531eug.jpg
– Removed flying numbers on health package pickup.
– Some minor updates to the manual.

Also uploaded Hykleri Damange Numbers, a replacement file that make the digits fly around in their usual manner, rather than sitting nice and tight beneath the crosshair. These digits are also twice the size.

ell

(ETF2L Donator)

dESTRUCTOR: hey link
px. link merc: hey
dESTRUCTOR: is it possible to make the target ids like twice as big as they are now in the squarehud?
px. link merc: would take some fiddling, and you’d have to do it yourself, but ofc

dESTRUCTOR: and the damage counter to be green
dESTRUCTOR: the hykleris one

px. link merc: well the hykleri damage numbers thing is easy, replace the colour lines in that file so that they look like this:
“PositiveColor””SqGreen”
“NegativeColor””SqGreen”
In C:progsteamsteamappsaccount_nameteam fortress 2tfscriptshudlayout.res you need to change the dimensions of, CMainTargetID, CSpectatorTargetID and CSecondaryTargetID to fit what you want to do. These are like boxes or frames that contain all the components in the targetid’s. Then you need to edit: C:progsteamsteamappsaccount_nameteam fortress 2tfresourceuiTargetID.res for all the details. Here is a schematic on a grid to help you with positioning. http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa461/linkred/schematic.png . Every pixel in that picture corresponts to a pixel in the hud position grid (640×480). Fonts in different sizes are located in C:progsteamsteamappsaccount_nameteam fortress 2tfresourceClientscheme. If I didn’t scare you too much now, start by reading Flames Guide, if you haven’t already.

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

how can i make the damage numbers bigger? (hykleris version)

broesel

LAME

Quoted from smziii

YOU CAN’T

ell

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from smziii

Steamsteamappsaccount_nameteam fortress 2tfresourceClientScheme.res contains all the available font sizes. Search for mini14 (currently used) and you’ll find a whole bunch of variations, mini21, mini28 etc. Replace mini14 with one of those in the hykleri file. Sorry to ruin your troll so soon broesel. :)

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj191/poppis72/pl_frontier_final0000.jpg

Can you do anything about that? That’s rather annoying when playing highlander or pub.
And it’s bit odd to look at the CP icons when they are the default ones and anything is pixelated and colorful but besides these two facts it’s a neat hud. :)

achy

I dont know if its just me, but i cant see my kills and deaths anywhere. Where should they be located? maybe i have the wrong scoreboard res?

Scorch

LZ.war

He removed them.

ell

(ETF2L Donator)

Square HUD VERSION 3 http://code.google.com/p/squarehud/

Changes:
– Updated tf_english.txt.
– Completely removed payload entities.
– Added manual section about language file updates.
– Added a file with the changed fields of tf_english.txt for urgent updates.

The old language file probably caused crashes on gravelpit, after the latest Valve update. Luckily it’s the only file I have reason to believe causes instability. I will release a new version as soon as I can when these types of updates come along. From the manual:

“Valve updates to resourcetf_english.txt will overwrite changes made for Square HUD and cause minor graphical text glitches. Such an update can be recognised by name, ping and score labels showing in the scoreboard. Using an old file can lead to undesired consequences if a new text field is introduced and invoked in game. If secure operation is critical (e.g. for an official game) and there is no update to address the issue, use Valve defaults by deleting tf_english.txt.”

Quoted from Panic of the Undead

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj191/poppis72/pl_frontier_final0000.jpg Can you do anything about that?

Done.

Quoted from Panic of the Undead

And it’s bit odd to look at the CP icons when they are the default ones and anything is pixelated and colorful

I would, but neither me nor M0re knows of a way to do it.

M0re

awesome link! Best hud!

kuma

I’ve been using it for a while, and I like it mostly. I’m going to stop using it though for the following reasons:

Hard to quickly see health

Problem:
I think it’s to do with the font which is difficult to read anyway, and the background colour of the health bar. Right now, I’m using the appropriate colour to determine my status (weak, normal, overhealed) but I don’t know what my exact health is during battle. I can only determine what that is once the immediate fight is over and I can concentrate on reading the number.

Suggestion:
I’d like the high res font to be released. Since that’s unlikely, perhaps you can make the bar move relative to your health as well, so we can at least see how weak we are on a scale, not just one of three status colours. I like the idea of changing colours for how weak you are though, so unless there’s a better colour scheme I don’t think that should/can be changed.

No k/d ratio on scoreboard

Problem:
This stat is actually important and not just eye-candy as it lets you know whether you are playing too aggressively, and allows you to adjust your play accordingly. Sure, you can guess or feel that you’ve died more times than you’ve killed, but it’s always better and easier to just glance at a number that lets you know.

Suggestion:
Add k/d in somewhere.

HUD crosshair too thick

Problem:
Not so much a problem since you can disable it, but this crosshair is too thick to really do anything. You especially can’t snipe with it. Maybe it’s personal preference or it works better on lower resolutions, but it actually harms your aim so it’s pointless to include it in the first place.

Suggestion:
Improve the default HUD crosshair by making the plus smaller, or disable it as default.

ell

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from kuma

I’ve been using it for a while, and I like it mostly. I’m going to stop using it though for the following reasons:

Hard to quickly see health

Problem:
I think it’s to do with the font which is difficult to read anyway, and the background colour of the health bar. Right now, I’m using the appropriate colour to determine my status (weak, normal, overhealed) but I don’t know what my exact health is during battle. I can only determine what that is once the immediate fight is over and I can concentrate on reading the number.

Suggestion:
I’d like the high res font to be released. Since that’s unlikely, perhaps you can make the bar move relative to your health as well, so we can at least see how weak we are on a scale, not just one of three status colours. I like the idea of changing colours for how weak you are though, so unless there’s a better colour scheme I don’t think that should/can be changed.

No k/d ratio on scoreboard

Problem:
This stat is actually important and not just eye-candy as it lets you know whether you are playing too aggressively, and allows you to adjust your play accordingly. Sure, you can guess or feel that you’ve died more times than you’ve killed, but it’s always better and easier to just glance at a number that lets you know.

Suggestion:
Add k/d in somewhere.

HUD crosshair too thick

Problem:
Not so much a problem since you can disable it, but this crosshair is too thick to really do anything. You especially can’t snipe with it. Maybe it’s personal preference or it works better on lower resolutions, but it actually harms your aim so it’s pointless to include it in the first place.

Suggestion:
Improve the default HUD crosshair by making the plus smaller, or disable it as default.

First of all, thanks for bringing these things up. I think it’s fair to say that the font is what put most people off from using this hud, and I’ve had my fair share of doubt about it myself after using it for a while. I’m pretty much at a point where I would be willing to change the font for increased readability, but I want to choose one carefully before I do so. I guess I’m primarily looking for a sans serif font with consistent thickness to make sure glyphs appear solid and don’t blur. Possible options as of now:

Helvetica http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetica
Courier “http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courier_(typeface)”
Surface Medium (used in M0re HUD) http://www.ffonts.net/Surface-Medium.font

Suggest me a font people! It would also allow me to make targetids slightly bigger, and text to scale better at different resolutions.

As for the health square, I’ve been over the reasons before (multiple representation, clutter) and making the signal square into a bar would untermine it’s very purpose, since there would be minimal colour left when you need it the most. Colours will indeed not change.

The k/d ratio is where I disagree with you. There are two possible conclusions you can draw from that statistic, both of which could be false and detrimental your play. (1) I need to be more aggressive. (2) I need to be more cautious. First of all, the ratio isn’t an accurate representation of how much you benefit your team. You can dish out tons of damage, yet not getting any kills because your teammates land the final blows. Secondly, the game is highly situational, in a clutch moment an kill/death can make all the difference, whereas it can be of almost no importance in other situations, where you can make high risk suicide moves, maybe profit and get back in action in time either way. Killing a medic or a demoman is also much more valuable. The worse your odds, the more risks you need to take to optimize your chances of victory, e.g. if you’re a few points behind when close to the end. On top of this it’s distracting and yet another number to juggle. I don’t see how this statistic could be of much use, probably does more harm than good.

The Crosshair does has a few advantages to it. The edges are sharp and it’s easy to verify that it is numerically dead-center. It’s also as good as it gets on 640×480, since making it thinner would require splitting the pixels in half to maintain the center property. I’ve played with it for a year at least, and I can’t say I have trouble sniping with it. I suspect it might scale to be even larger if you’re running a resolution that is not a multiple of 640×480 and that it might be inconvenient because of that. A font based crosshair would take a lot of tweaking for different resolutions, don’t know if I cba with that. Most people will want to customize this anyway and there step-by-step instructions on how to do that. There is also the issue with alignment of the damage numbers. It suits the purpose of giving a fully functional hud for people to try, if they choose to stick with it they can put in the time to customize it afterwards.

kuma

I agreed with you about the k/d ratio at first, but I found myself missing it a lot when it wasn’t there. Didn’t really care about the other stats though. Of course it’s not an absolute guide you can rely on, but more of a general thing where you can see how you’re doing relatively speaking without using something empirical like feeling.

I mean it doesn’t matter how much damage or good things you do, if you’re 10-20 you’re doing something wrong.

M0re

btw link, take the credit for yourself. No need to keep my name on the topic. I just helped you no little bits and pieces. Imo it’s all yours :D

revanxp

HELVETICA
HELVETICA
HELVETICA
HELVETICA
HELVETICA

Best font ever made
(Myriad Pro is also a great font)
(You probably could have copyright issues, those 2 fonts are pretty expensive and not free)

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 12 13 14 15 Next »