Forum

Heavies in competitive play.

Created 8th September 2008 @ 06:44

Add A Reply Pages: 1

ZenHeadbutt

I was wondering about the Heavy situation in competitive play. One of the most common arguments I’ve encountered lately is that every class needs the thinking bit to do well (positioning, tactics), but the more harder classes, like Soldier or Scout need some combat skills additionally (twitch aim, prediction). Many consider Heavy as “low tier”, because he only needs the thinking bit and his powerful and easy to use chaingun does the talking later. Some people ironicly suggest that they only need less than 10 hours to master the Heavy, given how simple he is.

However, I do think that Heavy requires much different tactics than rest of the classes, tactics adjusted to his speed, rev up mechanics and the pain that comes from the slow switching between chaingun and shotgun. He also needs coordination/communication with the team (other mates supporting the Heavy+Medic combo around so they can do major damage) and focus on max level, since one mistake in his next move and he’s toasted, thus making the Heavy positioning very, VERY unforgiving.

I would like to hear your opinions.

Is Heavy really easy with nothing to master or is there much more depth to it?
When people see a good Heavy player with 200+ hours put in the class – do they laugh or do they respect him?
Are Heavies good to use in competitive play or maybe they should piss off?

Falling Away

With europeans consuming the old “us-style” of playing, ie two soldiers instead of soldier/heavy, it seems as though heavy is pretty damn redundant, i mean, 2 soldiers with a medic shared between them, can take down a heavy with his own personal medic, or even more devastating to the heavy/medic combo is a soldier/demoman (doesn’t even need a medic here), can pretty much tear a heavy a new ass before hes even spun up.

With teamplay and communication, the player could be a demi-god but will still get majorly gibbed by a competant double soldier / soldier-demo pair.

Personally for me, heavy is dead.

I am still debating with myself wether a heavy or a soldier should be used. I think it depends on both the skill of the team and the skill of the players. A good heavy is better than a slightly worse soldier, but as a soldier, you can do much more for your team once you have reached that extra mile that the soldier class allows.

FrAgola

actually if the opponent team uses 2 soldiers mid skill they destroy medic+heavy combo,because 2 soldiers have +mobility +power of fire and if 1 will be killed the other can kill anyway the hw. in addiction, if the hw’s team uses a soldier, this soldier have 2 choice:
-stay with the medic and hw, and this means go very slowly,and the solly can’t use his power to attack,or;
-go free like a demo, but a demo is not a soldier, so soldier is killed by all the other team,or nly 1 enemy,like a scout.

better is 2 soldier than a hw

KOVACS

I think Heavy’s are becoming progressively more redundant as time goes on and gameplay evolves, even more-so now that the use of kritzkreig has become effective, especially on maps such as Granary. Recent map-design is more favourable to soldier/demo too (fastlane/badlands for example) which include large wide-open spaces and raised areas which have considerable tactical importance.

Ino

dp.
dp.

I have played soldier most of the time, but since 2-3 month I have switched to the Heavy, and it only did me and my clan good. Playing with a Heavy of course needs other tactics than playing with 2 Soldiers, i.e. you’re slower than clans with a 2 Soldier lineup, but if you get those Soldiers close enough they’re ripped apart by the minigun in a second.
Since we’re playing in a low division we do not encounter such strong 2 Soldier setups as you would expect on a higher level. The most annoying class for me to encounter as a Heavy has always been the Demoman, 2 Soldiers have never been that much trouble.
So I think in Div4, Div5 you will still see Heavys in peoples lineup.

Haunter

it all depends the way u use the heavy :)

most of the teams use it in a bad way, thats why 2 solds are getting advantage

heavy is meant to be slow, so, its a bad idea to do medic+heavy combo, heavy should just stay behind the team, and clear ppl’s backs, specially from scouts, and medic should heal demo+sold, thats the best way to make it work…

ofc most of the teams use medic+heavy combo rushing, but 2solds or demo, takes heavy down even before weapon starts spining :)

Am

jizzed in his p

I don’t think heavies are dead…in lower division matches they are used quite abit because it slows the game down giving you more time to think and formulate your attack, specially when your new.

When people see a heavy, well I know in the matches I’ve palyed in, people fall back instead of being offensive and with some higher div clans still using it (Vale used one last night and Ubersexuals have sommie, so they must use his skills as a heavy at somepoint) I don’t think its dead just yet.

ulv

h.
Liero

covering fire and ambush/surprise <3
A skilled heavy is a mobile sentrygun.

veehell

-cavalier-

we keep heavy just only for few maps or/and for “defense” of several points.

It became useless for us, when facing team withou hwg on badlands/pro_granary…we usually loose middle due at very beginning hwg is not able be on spot at time. And that’s the reason why heavy is not used so often as used to.

g0d

Imo when the beta first came out and 6on6 was born (no critz) people have been messing around with the class. A heavy is worthless in many ways unless he has alot of corners and buildings where he can Pre spin his gun. and then still he is a subject to All incomming spam due to his fat body trying to move =p.

Personally I preferred even in the early fase of 6on6 a soldier combo or when it was stil allowed 2 demo’s because of the mobility of the classes. rather then being stuck to the ground.

Ino

dp.
dp.

I think it all depends on your strategy. For example: Sweden vs Finland. Sweden played Pro_granary and Badlands with Sommie as Heavy, and they won both maps.

Of course you can’t rush points as fast as with 2 Soldiers, but there’s no need to be in such a hurry as it doesn’t count how often you score, but that you win the match. So if you’re going slow but win the game 1-0 in the end you have still won ;)

shifty

Sir

Heavies updates are dire, all you need to know! ;]

Add A Reply Pages: 1