Forum

State of competitive gaming in Team Fortress 2

Created 5th September 2008 @ 12:13

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3

toasty.

PHX

Hi I have been lurking on these forums for ages but never felt the need to add any thing until now.
Please ignore every thing on the steam forums the signal to noise ratio is very low. As people that read it probably know its just full of trolls who will argue and complain about simply every thing.

A well thought out, long post like rebeli’s combined with “pro gamers” is like waving a red rag in front of a bull.

There is a large community of pub level clans like the one I play in. We are very active and play probably just as many hours as some of you guys per week. You probably don’t see us in irc much because we use the steam community etc.

Any way my point is, we haven’t got our arses in gear to actually join league yet. This will happen eventually and good players will rise up the ladder etc.

I think next season you will see a massive influx of new clans, so don’t think tf2 is on the way out or any thing.

So yeah, my main point was really just say that the steam forum isn’t representative of what “pub” players think what so ever. :)

dunc

infs
dp.

I can’t even bring myself to read that thread. Seconds after Rebeli had linked it on IRC, there was a post saying “TF2 is public only” or something. NNGHHHH that frustrates me BEYOND BELIEF.

This game is absolutely superb, it has the potential to be one of the best competitive online games.. I mean fucking hell – CoD4 has a massive following and tbh that couldn’t be less interesting to watch. TF2 can be a good spectator esport. Top level, close games are fun to watch and at the moment there is five or six teams in Europe that are competing closely for the #1 spot.

The problem I’m seeing is that 90% of the players in D2+ are players that have been playing – and in the clan scene – since the first month of TF2’s existence. There seems to be very little new blood competing at the top level. All of the “new” clans are just reforms of existing clans/disbanded clans.

For this reason I think it’s really important to keep pushing the community websites. Cadred does a good job, Northwave Gaming [http://n-wave.org] is trying to relay some scene news and there are probably a good few others that don’t immediately come to mind. If we could keep promoting these sites, hopefully we’ll get new competitive gamers on the scene.

Either way, just NNGH at the replies on that forum. It’s ridiculous :( I wish we had a direct contact with some of the Valve staff involved in TF2, as it would be much easier to relay our thoughts. We could give them numerous STV demos or live coverage of games so they can see just how much potential this game has for competitive play. Yeah it needs a few tweaks here and there as Rebeli points out but Christ it’s nothing major! All of his suggestions could easily be made in to cvars for us to manipulate, which would mean public games didn’t change at all.

Maybe someone should link this thread to Robin Walker. :)

AnAkkk

I think that Rebeli said that he already sent it to Robin Walker, so we just need to wait for the answer…if he answers :)

dunc

infs
dp.

Sorry, I meant link THIS thread on ETF2L :)

Wlv

RaWr ::

Stealthy is basically correct :), the only way TF2 will get big on a LAN scale is if more orgs pickup teams and actually give them some support, although, I think a central europe LAN would be a lot more sucessful than PCG, + one that was TUP and not BYOC..

Edit: May I add the only thing that may rescue tf2.pcg is the amount of marketing they can put in to it, i.e a large number of their readers may turn up, tf2 is a very popular public game, so who knows untill we can see the signups :)

skre

Kvakkistansen

I agree with dunc, NNNNGGGHH

shifty

Sir

People just need to get off their arses and make an effort o/

Thanks for this. :)

Mick-

well , i feel like the TF2 tournament in the PCgamer will be cancelled :(

ONlock

YOYO\'

Wow..

They had to close the thread due to flaming. xD

Very good job by Rebeli, hope they (Valve) would mind us a little more, even though they have done some nice things, i.e. no-crits, stopwatch etc..

Evil

Mick-

4K^

well , i feel like the TF2 tournament in the PCgamer will be cancelled :(

True, but I would imagine the whole thing would be cancelled as there are currently the same number of COD4 teams on the seat picker as TF2 teams. There also doesn’t seem to be that many CSS teams either, obviously there will be a lot more CSS teams signing up however.

appe

If it wasnt BYOC I’m sure more teams would be able to go.

SonDac

yeah its kinda retarded to have a 15k£ tournament where teams have to bring their own pcs. Pretty much makes it uk only. Atleast offer some kind of pc rental.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3