Forum

i55 multiple best of threes final

Created 31st July 2015 @ 22:47

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

aura

So if anyone could get in touch with lan organizers, it would be great to let them know of an alternative way of hosting finals this year and hear their opinion on the topic. For anyone that does not know how ESEA finals work it’s pretty simple. The winner of upper bracket should win the first best of three in the finals in order to win the lan, but if they lose during these first 3 maps then the game continues to the next bo3 series for a maximum amount of 2 best of threes. In other words, it is kind of like best of 6 maps but if the upper bracket winner takes the first set then it’s done. An alternative way would be to have bo5(first team to win 3 map out of 5).

Recent ESEA finals (http://www.twitch.tv/teamfortresstv/v/9134402) make an impression that the competition at i-series would be stronger than in all previous years so the chances that we would undoubtedly have a very, very, very close finals are higher than ever. Considering this it would make a lot of sense to adopt the system that would provide a longer final game. It has proven to work well in the past for ESEA, now imagine it being adopted in i-series with big crowd factor.

Taking into account that tf2 will have its own finals on its own stage, independent from insomnia, I wonder if we could have more than just 3 maps in the final game? Since time is not an issue anymore why not make the final last longer than your average 100 minutes. There would be no other games delaying or forcing/rushing us and the crowd would most certainly enjoy the increased amount of entertainment. On top of all, you could have different casters in each of best of threes for gods sake! If you dont like sideshow casting or sideshow casting in a box, or drunk sideshow casting, you could always listen to drunk sideshow casting in box.

Last edited by aura,

Might depend on what time some of the players are leaving.. I can’t remember the results of the strawpoll there was the other week.

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

I’ve toyed with the idea of a BO5, although there’s a slight issue with end timing (i.e. players that are realistic finalists having early flights back so they need to leave the venue by ~6 pm)

Edit: it’s sort of under review basically but formally it will likely be BO3 because of the above, but may be adjusted on the day if both teams have all players avail

Last edited by Nymthae,

aura

(i.e. players that are realistic finalists having early flights back so they need to leave the venue by ~6 pm)

oh… that’s just… derp. I’m sure it’s still hypothetically possible to squeeze that bo5 in if finals start at 11 or 12 pm. Like, 5 x ±40 min (closest game with maximum amount of maps and if every map is golden cap and no viaduct is played) = 3 and half hours, excluding pauses and breaks between maps.

Last edited by aura,

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

I’m going to post a more formal schedule soon, but I don’t really want to condense things back… the consolation finals will be on Sunday morning (11 am), which is a BO3. There’s a nice gap on Saturday evening instead which is free for two reasons: pub quiz, and for the potential lower finalists to have a large rest and a bit of free time.

Of course, the real benefit of having this freedom is being able to have a later final to make it easier for spectators. I’d like to capitalise on that a little bit, even if we can’t push it right back into peak time.

I am fairly hopeful that we can get a BO5 in, but it will depend on what teams do get through so it will be up in the air for quite a while. Even if we can’t formally do a BO5 we may well be able to get at least another map in for hype and enjoyment.

Clark

SDCK!

Quoted from Nymthae

I’m going to post a more formal schedule soon, but I don’t really want to condense things back… the consolation finals will be on Sunday morning (11 am), which is a BO3. There’s a nice gap on Saturday evening instead which is free for two reasons: pub quiz, and for the potential lower finalists to have a large rest and a bit of free time.

Of course, the real benefit of having this freedom is being able to have a later final to make it easier for spectators. I’d like to capitalise on that a little bit, even if we can’t push it right back into peak time.

I am fairly hopeful that we can get a BO5 in, but it will depend on what teams do get through so it will be up in the air for quite a while. Even if we can’t formally do a BO5 we may well be able to get at least another map in for hype and enjoyment.

BO5 with Upper Bracket winner having 1 map advantage perhaps? This way Grand Finals would start with Upper Bracket winner leading 1-0 and only having to win two maps to be crowned champions (just like in BO3) but there wouldn’t be more than 4 maps in total.

Phnx

Quoted from Clark

[…]
BO5 with Upper Bracket winner having 1 map advantage perhaps? This way Grand Finals would start with Upper Bracket winner leading 1-0 and only having to win two maps to be crowned champions (just like in BO3) but there wouldn’t be more than 4 maps in total.

I really don’t think 2-2 and crowning the upperbracket winner as the world champion seems legit…

sorsa

mooz

Quoted from aura

If you dont like sideshow casting or sideshow casting in a box, or drunk sideshow casting, you could always listen to drunk sideshow casting in box.

Just1s

☁GGG☁

Quoted from Phnx

[…]
I really don’t think 2-2 and crowning the upperbracket winner as the world champion seems legit…

Not 2-2. “wouldn’t be more than 4 maps in total”, so the longest outcome would be 4 maps with the result of 3-2 or 2-3.

Clark

SDCK!

Quoted from Just1s

[…]
Not 2-2. “wouldn’t be more than 4 maps in total”, so the longest outcome would be 4 maps with the result of 3-2 or 2-3.

Exactly.

As for the legitimacy of this approach – if you won the Upper Bracket that kind of already qualifies you as a serious contender for the title.

The same system was used in Grand Finals in Dota at International 2014 (or 2013, can’t exactly recall) and it worked fine.

Last edited by Clark,

Setlet

Usually WB advantages make anticlimactic finals ;_;

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

Quoted from Clark

[…]

Exactly.

As for the legitimacy of this approach – if you won the Upper Bracket that kind of already qualifies you as a serious contender for the title.

The same system was used in Grand Finals in Dota at International 2014 (or 2013, can’t exactly recall) and it worked fine.

That’s a very moot point as it was abandoned the very next 2 years for very good reasons.

If you win the upper bracket final you should be the stronger team entering the grand final, you can not win the upper bracket without winning the lower bracket finalist(or winning a team that won the lb finalist).
The stronger team shouldn’t need a free point to win the final, and winning the grand final with that free point makes for a very dissatisfying competition.
Although if time is an issue using it is completely fine, its just the lesser option in my opinion.

Silver Tosspot

(°)>

Quoted from Setlet

Usually WB advantages make anticlimactic finals ;_;

agreed

Mirelin

alus

I don’t think that you need to worry about the grand final management.
I am sure all Yankee finals will be very close and we won’t have to witness how froyotech are trashing their enemy team in 10 minutes.

Cheers

Mirelin

sorsa

mooz

Would be better if the upper bracket winner would just get a map-pick advantage.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »