Forum

TF2 Player Rankings website - e-peens at the ready

Created 10th January 2015 @ 23:38

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 ... 14 Next »

RTC

Quoted from fraac

Yeah but in lobbies the weirdness averages out. It’s harder to rate players in a team because players might have specific roles that they perform really well but don’t yield good stats.

If you perform the role supplied to you in your team to a good standard, chances are you’re going to adapt to that playstyle and make it your norm for that class.

Quoted from Gentleman Jon

[…]
Humans can no longer beat the best computers at chess, worth considering.

That’s not the point I’m trying to make. The point I’m trying to make is that the ethos of the statistics is being misinterpreted as a conclusive way to say whether a player is good or not. It can only be considered evidence, which is secondary to the conclusion. It’s basically promoting the thought that machines can analyse players better than humans can.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

“It’s basically promoting the thought that machines can analyse players better than humans can.”

It is? What is? The ratings are only public because tf2center are glacial at implementing anything.

CHERRY

Quoted from RTC

Watch 2001: A Space Odyssey. Allowing machines to completely dictate human decisions is quite simply nonsensical.

Please don’t use science fiction movies to back your arguments, especially ones that failed to predict future so hard.. Also I’m pretty sure we have reached the point where computer controls missiles and I haven’t seen it rebel against it’s supervisor yet.

The fact is that Jon’s system may have some flaw, which slightly affects the ranking, but you cannot blame it on a computer, since so far it turned out to be pretty accurate and I honestly am way more likely to trust it than any other random player. If players were better at this we’d still have captain system on pickups, but we don’t.

It is a nonsense to say that computer cannot interpret simple statistics especially if it can create a classical piece in less than a second without any human input. If it can understand natural language, if it can predict price of wine in 50 year’s time so accurately that it caused an outrage in wine community.
US Army trusts it to guide it’s missiles, but you don’t trust it to interpret logs :P

I am not saying this website is perfect, but it is great already and no man would be able to do such an accurate ranking. I just hope this isn’t a TF2C’s opinion, just your personal.

EDIT: This is the composition I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq3iKbCNDCM

Last edited by CHERRY,

RTC

Quoted from fraac

“It’s basically promoting the thought that machines can analyse players better than humans can.”

It is? What is? The ratings are only public because tf2center are glacial at implementing anything.

The ethos of the project.

I’ve spoken to Jon via PM and my personal feeling is that it would be interesting to combine his system with advanced lobbies, as it would offer a slightly clearer (but far from perfect) representation of a player’s skills. I don’t want to put words in the developer’s mouths on if and when it advanced lobbies will be ready, or if Jon’s system would be used with advanced lobbies, but I’d be more than open to it.

Quoted from CHERRY

[…]
Please don’t use science fiction movies to back your arguments, especially ones that failed to predict future so hard.. Also I’m pretty sure we have reached the point where computer controls missiles and I haven’t seen it rebel against it’s supervisor yet.

The fact is that Jon’s system may have some flaw, which slightly affects the ranking, but you cannot blame it on a computer, since so far it turned out to be pretty accurate and I honestly am way more likely to trust it than any other random player. If players were better at this we’d still have captain system on pickups, but we don’t.

It is a nonsense to say that computer cannot interpret simple statistics especially if it can create a classical piece in less than a second without any human input. If it can understand natural language, if it can predict price of wine in 50 year’s time so accurately that it caused an outrage in wine community.
US Army trusts it to guide it’s missiles, but you don’t trust it to interpret logs :P

I am not saying this website is perfect, but it is great already and no man would be able to do such an accurate ranking. I just hope this isn’t a TF2C’s opinion, just your personal.

EDIT: This is the composition I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq3iKbCNDCM

You’re strawmanning. I’m talking about the themes of the movie, not how well the movie represents the current day. The theme of over-reliance on technology by allowing it to make our decisions for us is what I’m trying to convey here, not a synopsis of the plot.

Yes, there are certain things that a machine is better than a human at doing, but interpreting how good a human player is at TF2 with only logs to base its determination off of is not better than having an experienced mentor watch another players POV. The prime advantage of Jon’s system is that it can analyse the 70000+ users on TF2Center and compile their statistics together, allowing users to compare and contrast; a human could never aspire to do that. This is all fine and very well done. My issue arises in that players are going to use it to determine how good a player is without any other sufficient evidence. I trust the system to interpret logs with the information it is given, but that’s my point: There are many elements of the game that cannot be interpreted by simple logs. A good example is in-game psychology: An Engineer has a Level 3 setup. The sheer presence of that Sentry Gun causes any reasonable player to play around it and avoid it, which means the Engineer is doing his job of area denial well. Unless the Engineer is getting lots of damage and frags from his gun though, this isn’t represented accurately in the logs.

I just want to make it clear: I have absolutely nothing against the project itself as it is highly utile as a compilation of data on players. My problem is solely with how people will use this data, and the ethos of such data being represented as the primary way to indicate whether a player is good or not.

Last edited by RTC,

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

I think you’re suffering from the same confusion as tf2center admins (are you one of them?). The point of a project is to provide utility, in this case quickly picking lobby teams that result in fewer 5-0s. It’s not meant to be the word of God.

Tseini

Damn!
0FO

Quoted from fraac

I think you’re suffering from the same confusion as tf2center admins (are you one of them?). The point of a project is to provide utility, in this case quickly picking lobby teams that result in fewer 5-0s. It’s not meant to be the word of God.

Word.
Who even cares about stats,im pretty sure team leaders wont pick players based on these :D

RTC

Quoted from fraac

Moderator to be precise.

Yes, and in that aspect it has utility, but TF2Center does not have randomized lobbies, and I don’t think advanced lobbies, when implemented will operate with a randomized system, but instead with the system TF2C uses currently.

Kengur

I’ve seen some pubs implement the same kind of stats and ranking system. Could probably take one of those as a basis. McDonalds too has special sause made by Heintz.

Last edited by Kengur,

Kaneco

Quoted from RTC

[…]

Moderator to be precise.

Yes, and in that aspect it has utility, but TF2Center does not have randomized lobbies, and I don’t think advanced lobbies, when implemented will operate with a randomized system, but instead with the system TF2C uses currently.

Which is completely awful since you can stack any lobby u want as long as you’re the lobby leader and/or bring some friends.

aura

Quoted from CHERRY

[…]
Please don’t use science fiction movies to back your arguments, especially ones that failed to predict future so hard..

Sorry for the offtopic, but have you just said that Stanley Kubrick’s vision of the future is a failure? Oh my god.

http://www.currybet.net/cbet_blog/2009/02/how-accurate-was-kubricks-2001.php

Last edited by aura,

CHERRY

Quoted from aura

[…]

Sorry for the offtopic, but have you just said that Stanley Kubrick’s vision of the future is a failure? Oh my god.

I did and those few examples do not change that :P
It’s not an utter failure but it is very far from how earth looked like in 2001.

Last edited by CHERRY,

Hergan

One question, why is my name H3rg??n5 instead of Hergan5? Does it use ETF2L name or in-game name, if in-game, this is like one of my oldest nicks

Gentleman Jon

Quoted from Hergan

One question, why is my name H3rg??n5 instead of Hergan5? Does it use ETF2L name or in-game name, if in-game, this is like one of my oldest nicks

Names are messed up. I think the ETF2L API was down for a while when I was collecting a load of them, so it’s just defaulted to the first one it found in logs and there was probably something messing up the encoding with the ?, although with logs or my end I’m not sure. I’ll have something to let players edit their own names up as the next priority update as it’s understandably bothering a lot of people.

Hergan

Quoted from Gentleman Jon

[…]
Names are messed up. I think the ETF2L API was down for a while when I was collecting a load of them, so it’s just defaulted to the first one it found in logs and there was probably something messing up the encoding with the ?, although with logs or my end I’m not sure. I’ll have something to let players edit their own names up as the next priority update as it’s understandably bothering a lot of people.

Okay, cool

Kengur

Quoted from aura

[…]

Correction. Arthur Clarke’s vision as it was all infact described in the book.

Last edited by Kengur,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 ... 14 Next »