Forum

Highlander Players - Would you join a cup with no cash prize?

Created 20th May 2014 @ 14:05

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Rob!

TROLLIED
[T-A!]

Hey, planning another Highlander Awesome Cup for August-ish after UGC season and wondering if we would still get the signs if there was no cash prize.

I really enjoyed hosting the last AwesomeCup and this time I have plans to make it even bigger and better. Ideally hosting around 32 teams, with a day of group stages, then the winners and runner ups from the groups would go on to a knock out day where we declare a winner.

I’ve taken feedback from last cup about too much tf2 in one day, so each group would only have 4 teams in it ideally. 3 Games of tf2 on the sat.
Knock out would have 4 rounds. 5 If we do an extra match to have a 3rd place final.
Also I will do research in to the date and make sure there isn’t another Zowie cup on the same day :/

I would aim to have metal betting and coverage again, as last time it was very successful.

I would do the normal in-game prizes like we had last time, http://i.imgur.com/HINnGPp.jpg but a cash prize would really be stretching it…

My question is how much does a cash prize sway you in to entering a cup?
How necessary is it? Would it stop top tier teams from entering?
I know that the majority of people who enter wouldn’t stand a chance of getting the money however.

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Some sort of prize would make it a lot more interesting, I am sure. I doubt I can get the guys together for an entire cup if there is no reward

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

Considering that most TF2 competitions have no prizes or token prizes at best, I doubt the prizes or absence of thereof are terribly important.

Carlos Kaiser

I don’t even think that there are prem teams that participate to just get the little chance to win 11 Euros per person or something, even if there are teams like that, then we’ll just lose a team or two in the competition. You are doing a favor to the community by just hosting the cup, keep your money to yourself :>

nijoonen

Gaston
8-)

In-game medals or some sort of prize would attract more teams. Perhaps a tiny entrance fee that goes to a big pot to the winners? Would probably end up with only like a few teams actually playing because lower divs team know they would get stomped by top teams.

If you are going to split it into divs i’m sure more people would be up for a SMALL entrance fee per team. Like if you do 3 divs with like 10 teams in each and a entrance fee of 10£ per team, would give the winners of each div winner 90£.

Would also give lower div teams the chance to win some green. Just make sure that there are no JoeNUFC in steel drama happening if you do it like that.

Last edited by nijoonen,

nijoonen

Gaston
8-)

Btw I know how proud IAG are of those signs so they would probably play for some homemade medal…

Bulow

GG

People like the prestige of cash prizes, but if teams want to play highlander then they will regardless of what/if a prize is on offer.

Spreijer

CONCORDIA

If teams want to play highlander, they’ll get scrims at their level.

You need to split the cup into divisions then (like in the fun cups maybe?). It will serve as practice better then scrims I believe.

You might do the thing like in the awesome cup, where higher level teams played against lower level teams, who proved to be the best at their level.

Pretty much I just see it like an additional practice during summer.

Rob!

TROLLIED
[T-A!]

Quoted from Spreijer

If teams want to play highlander, they’ll get scrims at their level.

You need to split the cup into divisions then (like in the fun cups maybe?). It will serve as practice better then scrims I believe.

You might do the thing like in the awesome cup, where higher level teams played against lower level teams, who proved to be the best at their level.

Pretty much I just see it like an additional practice during summer.

Yeah, from talking to lower teams and being in one myself, the majority of lowbies relish the chance to play off against the prem/div1 teams. A pop at the big boys, even if they are getting destroyed.

I would prefer to have say 4 teams per group, and split the prem/div1 teams up so we have 1 crushing team in each group. This should make it a little more enjoyable for the majority of teams entering. Then the higher level teams, get their more enjoyable games after they qualify for knockout stages the following day.

Popcorp

instead of Cash prize – Keys maybe?

I think there will be some people who can donate some keys or metal/hats (that will be sold for Keys).

maxxx.lfc

⇗upp⇙

many teams will join even if they said they would not without prizes (except prems)

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

I only play highlander for the money tbh.

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from fraac

I only play highlander for the money tbh.

That’s like saying you play ping pong for the pussy

maxxx.lfc

⇗upp⇙

http://www.londonnet.co.uk/news/2014/may/worlds-first-ever-naked-ping-pong-tournament-held-london.html

$neaky

(ETF2L Donator)
A51
HOUSE

Pretty sure alot of lower div teams would play just for fun and practice. You could always offer something other than money or ingame items. (idk a frag movie made for them or something of the sort?)

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »