Forum

Valve to develop in-game competitive lobby system?

Created 4th June 2013 @ 04:22

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 Next »

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

I was going to make a sarcastic comment about your matches played

MEGAMIDDIE

shit

guapdaddy4000

tB TJ

I just hope the Highlander scene doesn’t overtake our beloved 6s scene. I already cringe when I see 6 open highlander lobbies, but no 6s. :(
I’m a very scared little man

Asaaj

A bit late but atlast. Would be cool for new players to get into highlander. With a boost of playerbase we might see a bit more leagues, eventhough the ones we have right now are already more than enough. Moar experimental cups could result from this depending on what people ban and stuff.

If the highlander thingy is succesful we may or may not end up with a 6s lobby thing. If not you still have a lot of potential players trying out 6s after trying highlander and that’s always a good thing.

MIndYe

[hePPa]

This thread is so full of AIDS it almost killed me. Retarded shit everywhere.

Limp.

EPA

Quoted from MIndYe

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from MIndYe

Your comment really helped..

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

Fully Charged on this topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKpSxLmgj44

Muuki

sirkkels
GG

Just a thought which I’ve ranted at for some people:

Since apparently the problem with competitive TF2 is the staleness (lack of variety in an fps game? what is this), and Robin wants to change the system to appeal to pubbers via change of classlimits or rebalancing unlocks to make all classes viable. Instead of/As well as doing this, wouldn’t it be possible to add more incentive to make new maps? Adding new maps (that are actually balanced) would force teams to think up new strategies, the game will become less stale for the spectator because he can see more maps being played which all play differently in a way or another. At the moment the problem is that all the current maps are just too good to replace, so to fix this you could keep some of the staple maps (Badlands, Gullywash, Process) and rotate new, upcoming maps and maybe some of the current less popular maps (Granary and custom maps).

What I partly base this on is what I see for example in Quake. They have been playing the same maps for 10+ years (ZTN, dm6, aerowalk). This gets boring for the viewer because the map pool only consists of around 8~ maps depending on the competition. id software only adds in a duel map so rarely, and Quake Live has no support for custom maps to be played in multiplayer, thus they cannot get accepted as staple competitive maps through the community. The duel maps that get released are usually regarded as complete shit, even though some of them look promising and get the backup of some 2000+ elo players, but the tournament managers won’t put them into the game because part of the community don’t like it. Again, it just gets more boring for the viewer.

Another thing is that unlike Moba and RTS which mostly rely on your base knowledge of the game and countering your opponents picks/builds (if this isn’t the case, keep reading anyway), fps games have always been about personal skill (aim, push/hold execution) and map knowledge (tactics, positioning). In RTS and Moba you have constant balance updates because that’s just how the game works, most of the game is about picking stuff and balancing something always has the chance of unbalancing something else, which then will get balanced and the cycle goes on. In TF2, your teams are ALWAYS on a completely even ground in terms of what they have available to them and how they can counter it, so there’s rarely something that completely OP (2 heavies, 2 medics). This is why I’d like to see a change in maps instead of unlock balance, because if all unlocks are viable then midfights will turn into a diceroll, then the respawning team can counter the enemy team with unlocks/class picks, which then will get countered by the respawning team, which will then again get countered and the cycle goes on.

So what I’d like to see with this new balance system is valve adding more incentive to make maps and get them into the official game and have the leagues force AT LEAST one season of it in the pool IF it’s been even remotely accepted by the community (hi etf2l). Hell, you could even make a map which gimps a current main class a bit so playing an utility class wouldn’t be such a toll on your team.

oh and if this is the incorrect thread for this then w/e, you probably read this anyway

also i’m really tired so i’m sorry if i just wrote a massive wall of text that’s complete bullshit

i am sorry

Dennia

FAINT

Quoted from Muuki

Since apparently the problem with competitive TF2 is the staleness (lack of variety in an fps game? what is this), and Robin wants to change the system to appeal to pubbers via change of classlimits or rebalancing unlocks to make all classes viable. Instead of/As well as doing this, wouldn’t it be possible to add more incentive to make new maps? Adding new maps (that are actually balanced) would force teams to think up new strategies, the game will become less stale for the spectator because he can see more maps being played which all play differently in a way or another. At the moment the problem is that all the current maps are just too good to replace, so to fix this you could keep some of the staple maps (Badlands, Gullywash, Process) and rotate new, upcoming maps and maybe some of the current less popular maps (Granary and custom maps).

What I partly base this on is what I see for example in Quake. They have been playing the same maps for 10+ years (ZTN, dm6, aerowalk). This gets boring for the viewer because the map pool only consists of around 8~ maps depending on the competition. id software only adds in a duel map so rarely, and Quake Live has no support for custom maps to be played in multiplayer, thus they cannot get accepted as staple competitive maps through the community. The duel maps that get released are usually regarded as complete shit, even though some of them look promising and get the backup of some 2000+ elo players, but the tournament managers won’t put them into the game because part of the community don’t like it. Again, it just gets more boring for the viewer.

Another thing is that unlike Moba and RTS which mostly rely on your base knowledge of the game and countering your opponents picks/builds (if this isn’t the case, keep reading anyway), fps games have always been about personal skill (aim, push/hold execution) and map knowledge (tactics, positioning). In RTS and Moba you have constant balance updates because that’s just how the game works, most of the game is about picking stuff and balancing something always has the chance of unbalancing something else, which then will get balanced and the cycle goes on. In TF2, your teams are ALWAYS on a completely even ground in terms of what they have available to them and how they can counter it, so there’s rarely something that completely OP (2 heavies, 2 medics). This is why I’d like to see a change in maps instead of unlock balance, because if all unlocks are viable then midfights will turn into a diceroll, then the respawning team can counter the enemy team with unlocks/class picks, which then will get countered by the respawning team, which will then again get countered and the cycle goes on.

So what I’d like to see with this new balance system is valve adding more incentive to make maps and get them into the official game and have the leagues force AT LEAST one season of it in the pool IF it’s been even remotely accepted by the community (hi etf2l). Hell, you could even make a map which gimps a current main class a bit so playing an utility class wouldn’t be such a toll on your team.

oh and if this is the incorrect thread for this then w/e, you probably read this anyway

also i’m really tired so i’m sorry if i just wrote a massive wall of text that’s complete bullshit

i am sorry

Heil muuki

unu

Quoted from Muuki

i am sorry

tl;dr please

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Muuki

So what I’d like to see with this new balance system is valve adding more incentive to make maps and get them into the official game

This already happens: anyone CAN make maps + Steam workshop + map maker stamps in the shop

There are LOADS of custom maps already. The reason we as a comp community don’t know about them, is because the makers of those maps don’t come here to present their work (and usually, if they do, it wouldn’t work with our format). Vice versa, only a handful of people in the comp scene actually do try new maps they found somewhere.

New stuff is scary.

The problem is not with Valve, at any rate.

kaidus

WiK?

Don’t forget that when playtesting new maps 90% of people instantly assume they hate it so spend 30 minutes shitting about ruining the experience for everyone.

Britishpixel

hopefully if 9v9 works out they’ll add 6v6 *Levels of false hope slowly increasing*

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

Quoted from Spike Himself

The problem is not with Valve, at any rate.

Snakewater is long since a core map in every league and played in pickups/lobbies every day. What can the mapmaker and the community do about it that we haven’t done already?

I would say there is a problem with Valve, as there is no way to get a map into the game unless the mapmaker enjoy a special status with them.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 Next »