Forum

Ping spikes occuring during matches

Created 10th March 2009 @ 21:08

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

kolox

obs.

I’ve been getting awful spiking lately, since the last few updates (either 7th march or 5th march)…
I’m playing normal for a while, then as soon as I go into a match (tournament starts) Im getting spikes from my usual 35 ping all the way to 250, sometimes even 400, then it drops again. Sometimes the screen freezes and then unfreezes a few seconds later (a lot of times with me dead) :/

– No one else is using my 20mbit Virgin internet connection, wired (ethernet).
– I ran an AVG scan and a SpyBot S&D Scan (at the reccomendation of Dazed) and it turned up nothing but tracking cookies.
– I’m running no different programs than I was before the spikes started happening.
– I have a very good PC (by my standards), getting around 150-200 fps on badlands mid at start of a 6v6 round with high settings.
– FPS isn’t affected by the spikes, but my choke and loss jump up massively.
– I dont run any special cfgs (fps configs etc).

Here’s my DxDiag: http://grind1.co.uk/kolox/DxDiag.txt

niklas..

SdX BLU

i’m having the same problems as you.. don’t know why either

psunfragga

cc//

some of the servers I play on are having this issue with a lot of their players and claim it is down to steam’s latest update creating a bug with whatever servers they have. Apparently steam are aware of the issue.

kolox

obs.

Its been happening on all servers :/

howdeh

Perilous
WUL

I’m getting this problem also, was thinking it was our server provider/other providers, but if its all servers, it has to be an update issue – but what?!

J3

+1 tf2 is getting worse by the day…

Atkins

Velox.
TSPAG

i get it on CS:S the worst
-also using virgin media

Memento Mori

I’m also on virgin 20meg and I have been getting spikes occasionally.

Atkins

Velox.
TSPAG

tbh looks liek virgin = fail

Gregremlin

I’m on the second cheapest option possible for my virgin broadband, yet my ping never rises above 11, and usually hangs around 5. Maybe this is only a problem with the more expensive packages with higher bandwidth?

Head Hunter

im constantly getting theis problem as of a few days ago. fps is around 40/30 and has always been so. im getting it a lot more with weapon lag though- rockets, stickies, nades.However ive not been doing anything different to normal.

Rynex

FAB
nubs

Do a traceroute on the server IP and see if there’s a point where there could be a huge increase in ping.

Around 5 days ago, I was finding some servers were giving me really high pings all because of a borked server that my connection routed through. I found that through a tracert search, and yes, my ISP is Virgin also.

I’m on the second cheapest option possible for my virgin broadband, yet my ping never rises above 11, and usually hangs around 5. Maybe this is only a problem with the more expensive packages with higher bandwidth?

Virgin’s Fiber Optic package is pants and apparently BeUnlimited provides much better for a fiber optic connection. Can’t really prove this point, but I got into a discussion about it the other day on my homeserver. I have the L package also and I get similar pings.

kolox

obs.

You guys still having problems with Virgin/internet?
Mine’s still spiking like feck..

Rynex, how do I do a traceroute? And it’s on every server….

Rele

kolox:

start -> run -> type “cmd”

there you type “tracert server-ip”. server ip without the port, only the ip (1.2.3.4 instead of 1.2.3.4:20715)

Then give it to Joshua ;D And he’ll tell you if anythings wrong with it.

Joshua

Haha, shush relentless :P

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »