Forum

Mix-up Match #3

Created 5th November 2011 @ 23:28

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

ashkan

Quoted from Snyyppis

Really enjoyed watching those, don’t really understand all the fuss around the female gamers… People seem to mistake the match as an all-celebrity one?

Yeah, that’s part of it. It’s understandable that they would do so, since they don’t know about the previous matches, and the fact that Yogscast chose to call it “Celebrity Showmatch” when uploading it :P

I mean, I could’ve made it a all-celebrity showmatch if I wanted to, but I didn’t. I want some TF2 community guys, pros and and pubbers involved as well.

torden

broder
syster

Was nice!

ashkan

Quoted from torden

Was nice!

Key question is…

Did Macisum get it?

ashkan

Also, the second map is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dAlqeGWhXQ&hd=1

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Was a fun watch, though some of the commentating was cringe worthy to be honest.

nvc

Quoted from Enef

Was a fun watch, though some of the commentating was cringe worthy to be honest.

do elaborate, it’s not feedback without explanation..

Last edited by nvc,

torden

broder
syster

Quoted from ashkan

[…]

Key question is…

Did Macisum get it?

He’s gonna be online any minute, SO EXCITED!!!

ashkan

Quoted from torden

[…]

He’s gonna be online any minute, SO EXCITED!!!

OMG OMG OMG :DDD

torden

broder
syster

Status report: It was a success.

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Quoted from nvc

[…]

do elaborate, it’s not feedback without explanation..

Imagine if you were one of the yogscasts fans who had never played tf2 before or had only played very little, if a commentator started listing tournaments and achievements he has made as a player but then kept mentioning the weapons and how he wasn’t sure what they are or what they did it would probably seem a little silly to you.

At least, it made me cringe a little that all those almost 750,000 viewers would be hearing you say that you were extremely good at the game (which you are!) but that you didn’t know what half the weapons in the game did.

It’s something a lot of the regular casters we have in the game lack, the ability to research things a little bit outside of their own personal needs.

It’s understandable that as a player in a 6v6 environment you wouldn’t need to know all the weapons, even as a commentator for the 6v6 part of the game but as a commentator commentating on 9v9 to a huge variety of people, players and non players it’s kind of silly to not know what the weapons are and do (considering that highlander always almost all unlocks).

ashkan

Quoted from Enef

[…]

Imagine if you were one of the yogscasts fans who had never played tf2 before or had only played very little, if a commentator started listing tournaments and achievements he has made as a player but then kept mentioning the weapons and how he wasn’t sure what they are or what they did it would probably seem a little silly to you.

At least, it made me cringe a little that all those almost 750,000 viewers would be hearing you say that you were extremely good at the game (which you are!) but that you didn’t know what half the weapons in the game did.

It’s something a lot of the regular casters we have in the game lack, the ability to research things a little bit outside of their own personal needs.

It’s understandable that as a player in a 6v6 environment you wouldn’t need to know all the weapons, even as a commentator for the 6v6 part of the game but as a commentator commentating on 9v9 to a huge variety of people, players and non players it’s kind of silly to not know what the weapons are and do (considering that highlander always almost all unlocks).

Personally, I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration ^^
As an organizer, I obviously want the casters to be as well-informed as possible from every relevant aspect. However, it turned out well with nvc’s lack of knowledge settings things up nicely for salamancer to explain how some of the weapons worked (although that can be done without genuine lack of knowledge). I haven’t read all of the comments, but the general feedback seems to be that the commentators were great and explained things well for newbies. Only downside being that a few people thought nvc was new to tf2 because he didn’t recognize the fifteenth demoman sword :P

nvc

Quoted from Enef

[…]

I see it as being okay considering i knew i could fall back on Sal for random weapons… and then there’s the part where we are commentating from a VoD anyway… so i can’t actually see the name of the weapon on a HUD to then cross reference, and i wonder how much time it would actually take to learn what each specific item model looks like… a while! I can appreciate that some of the new guys may think it’s strange, but i beleive i made it pretty clear that i play 6v6 where most of these random weapons are banned, and if not, nevermind… Sal saved the day.

I’m not retarded though, and to set the record straight i do actually undertake prior research to my commentary. Heck, i could go and photocopy the notes i put together for Epsilon vs Infused (which Arx and Beta then covered as i was just on backup mode) yesterday. Before that, the last TF2 event i did was Assembly, and i put together similar research to the DH QL event i covered in the summer for that too (results and map scores etc): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgYhVzJU2_ixdDdhRGZMRnQ3TjRDX2NYRmItbGZMUEE

Fair comments though, just wanted to clear up the part about me not doing research. I understand where you’re coming from and i do appreciate all feedback. Had i not known that i could bounce off Sal i’d have turned down the invite to present the event, well, that or i’d have spent 30 hours teaching myself 2011 public TF2 to then try and bullshit my way through it.

Last edited by nvc,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2