Forum

Mumble open = bad fps

Created 22nd January 2009 @ 01:05

Add A Reply Pages: 1

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Well i’ve tried all I can think of. Here’s the situation.

Whenever mumble is open (not even connected to a server, just idle on opening screen) my TF2 fps drops down to between 10 and 30. As soon as I close mumble, my fps goes up to 100.

What i’ve tried:

Reinstall of mumble
Update of mumble 1.1.4 to 1.1.6
Reverted back to 1.1.4
Completely removed mumble (using guide on their wiki) and a reinstall
Disabled overlay
Reverted back to default settings
Changed sound capture device
Changed windows task manager priority (tried all)
Removed all task manager non essential tasks
Close all open windows

What make this worse, is it just happened overnight. One day I could run Mumble just fine, the next I got these performance issues. Nothing changed, computer specs still the same:

4800 x2 amd athlon dualcore thing
Geforce 8800 gt
2gb memory
windows XP

Anyone had a similar problem or by some chance, know a fix for this?
It’s driving me nuts!

Ta.
Arx.

Akill

i couldnt be specific with mine because my pc will go anywhere of 10-40 fps anyway.

Have you tried seeing what other software you have running alongside mumble? I’d also suggest using something like process explorer at times when this performance drop is happening and compare it to times when mumble is running and your not getting the performance degradation. For your fps to drop some form of resource must be getting choked through mumbles software.

Absolute

What you will probably find is that you did do something that changed. You often think that you did nothing, but window updated, you changed your drivers, or you installed some random program.

Just go through everything systematically… Did you install new ATI drivers? did you install a service/windows update? Personally, I would consider updating/rolling back all the drivers that would use mumble. Network/Sound/etc, and work from there.

Is it just TF2? Is it other games? could narrow it down to being .cfg specific.

cook

FB

I get a 20-30 constant with mumble.

60 without.
:(

dunc

infs
dp.

Sound driver problem?

compton

cvx|

Try the trunk version.

Petup

one guy from my previous clan also had this same problem, we just had to use vent when he was playing.

Norrland3000

any external devices connected? if so, pull them out (like webcams,printers etc.)

SakkoSekken

Now i have no idea if this would work, but try to disable the game overlay, maybe it’s taking a lot of power?

AcidReniX

Fixed: Reinstall of sound card. I unplugged the SC (internal) and tried the game with no sound, it worked fine, put it back in, tried game, same problem, removed drivers, installed again, works fine.

Thanks for help :)

cook

FB

What sound card do you use Arx?

AcidReniX

sounds blaster live! 5.1 pci

eoN^

The only thing i could think of is if you had 32 bit windows and where running 64 bit mumble but thats probably a daft question :3

Err, maybe try fiddling with the priority of Mumble?

(ctrl, alt and delete > Processes > Right click “Mumble” (or whatever its called) > Priority)

Just try the lower prioritys?

Again maybe a daft idea but its worth a try :<

— Edit im an idiot just read your other post :'(

Add A Reply Pages: 1