Forum

Main Calling general?

Created 4th March 2011 @ 02:45

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from GibbZ

If you want any examples of what NOT to do, watch admirable. He makes calls to spawncamp (that fail), to uber scouts with no backup (that fail) and calls to hold point A and B on gravelpit simultaneously. He is the perfect example of what NOT to do as a calling medic.

And yet he’s the best medic in Europe :D.

But anyways, even if a call is shit COMMIT TO IT. 6 guys doing the something that isn’t the most optimal in a situation is better than 3 doing it and 3 others sitting back or trying to another thing. It is incredibly frustrating as a scout to hear the call to go in..and I run in…and my team pushes 10 seconds after that because they felt the timing would have been better. Just commit to that shit. Sticky trap? Should have noticed before the call was made, so just jump over it or whatever.

Last edited by Koeitje,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Koeitje

But anyways, even if a call is shit COMMIT TO IT. 6 guys doing the something that isn’t the most optimal in a situation is better than 3 doing it and 3 others sitting back or trying to another thing.

QFT!

M0re

Quoted from Waster

Second, there is no such thing as main calling. There is a huge misconception that one player can have all the brains of the rest of the players together.

bs

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Well main calling to me is defined as the guy who has the final say in a push/hold but really I am not too sure how this works with any other team so I can only determine it with my team.

In general I make a decision I hope it is followed but not just me who makes decisions. I tend to just see what my team is doing, obviously when it is important we don’t die 1 by 1 I call for a regroup somewhere or whatever but otherwise I’ll analyse what is going on that is usually we got someone hiding, someone behind with our aggressive team and we should either push to support, hold or fall back as their high-risk, high reward plan failed too quick for us to respond. People need to say what they are trying as early as possible for me to really make a decision, sometimes when I see no immediate threat our scout Pikachu who usually calls push when he is working behind them or harassing them, I just go with the flow cos sometimes he is right and we should support. Sometimes I play around our pocket, CrashSite who is aggressive so if we don’t push up with him he might die (or if I don’t shout at him to get back).

Basically get used to your teams style, judge their positioning, judge their health….judge how much you trust them at times like I would know in 5 seconds if I didn’t push in our flanking scout(s) would die quickly for nothing so when he calls he is in and distracting, we gamble and push on in and can usually catch their medic and perhaps clean up if their demo doesn’t sticky the entrances correctly. It is a game of timing really…last point pushes can be rehearsed so much, you need an idea of what everyone is doing when they push together; know who is delaying their entry to the fight to come in with full ammo to face people needing to reload, who is going out what door, who needs to be multi-ubered, who is popping their uber, who calls a focus and who can shoot at it.

In time you’ll get a better picture, even my picture isn’t clear. All I know is there are players in my team which will focus on their own game, their own role and their are players in my team like myself that will lead, long as we get a good idea of what we’re doing we can think how best to react and help eachother out.

tl:dr – Play together lots, know your team, have someone make a decision ensure it is followed even through failure and know your players who lead, know who follows and learn how to push together and most effectively.

kuma

Main Calling 101:

What is a main caller?
You are there to ensure all your players are on the same page and working together, and to provide reminders on the status of you and the enemy team. If someone forgets who has the uber advantage, you are the one to tell them. You can also direct in-game plays by calling focus targets or jump timings but it should go no further than that.

The rest is down to the gamesense of each individual on your team.

Skills to work on:
1. Awareness
You must know which team has what advantage at all times.

2. Knowledge
You must know how to work optimally in each situation.

3. Gamesense
You must be able to adapt to non-standard situations.

4. Communication
Your comms must be crisp, clear and understandable. Don’t call if people need to ask you to repeat things.

5. Multi-tasking
You must be able to keep track of advantages and always be aware of the situation while performing your main role. While this is something your team-mates should be doing, you are the failsafe for when they forget.

6. Coolness
You must be the one calm player when everyone else on your team is raging.

7. People Skills
You are the one to control player emotions and keep everyone else calm.

In an ideal world though: http://www.vanillatf2.org/2011/02/rant-gamesense-and-you-a-look-at-the-most-important-skill-in-tf2/

Last edited by kuma,

N/A

RaWr ::

i think its best everyone just mutes their mic and play

Ritalin

[d¿s]

too many awesome replies to respond to, but thank you all!

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from CommanderX

There are some videos on mge with top teams mumble comms synced to a demo as well if you have access to that

anyone knows where to find those? :s

Wiiking

Quoted from rytis

[…]

mygamingedge.com

Taimou

Let your Demo/Soldier main call.
if you really insist maincalling as med(like I do.) tell your heavy classes to assist in calls giving information that helps you to order a push, you can’t see what’s ahead if you don’t have a wallhack, or perfect gamesense.

Like I do

huhystah

Panda’s ftw and kuma is gay

Ritalin

[d¿s]

Quoted from Taimou

Let your Demo/Soldier main call.
if you really insist maincalling as med(like I do.) tell your heavy classes to assist in calls giving information that helps you to order a push, you can’t see what’s ahead if you don’t have a wallhack, or perfect gamesense.

Like I do

I like the idea of having the roamer call (in lower divs, at least). It’s just always made sense to me, because of his flexible positioning. And Demo as well. Medic has enough to do imo :D

I think I’ve put a lot of emphasis on improving my own main call skills as medic because that’s what i thought every medic did in higher divs. It seemed through people I had talked to previously, that medics were most often the main callers of their team. Not always of course, but mostly.

Last edited by Ritalin,

CommanderX

(ETF2L Donator)
TEZC

Quoted from rytis

[…]

http://mygamingedge.com/2011/02/04/thps-mumble/ Tony Hawks Pro Skaters

and

http://mygamingedge.com/2010/09/24/sigma-2/ AG

Not sure if you require premium to access these or not, i did think there was a free example of mumble but can’t seem to find it :/

Edit: The Sigma AG one is the free one

Last edited by CommanderX,

Matt

TEZC
TEZC

Quoted from GibbZ

If you want any examples of what NOT to do, watch admirable. He makes calls to spawncamp (that fail), to uber scouts with no backup (that fail) and calls to hold point A and B on gravelpit simultaneously. He is the perfect example of what NOT to do as a calling medic.

Thats what happens when you uber bad scouts….. WAIT WHAT.

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

And yet he’s the best medic in Europe :D.

But anyways, even if a call is shit COMMIT TO IT. 6 guys doing the something that isn’t the most optimal in a situation is better than 3 doing it and 3 others sitting back or trying to another thing. It is incredibly frustrating as a scout to hear the call to go in..and I run in…and my team pushes 10 seconds after that because they felt the timing would have been better. Just commit to that shit. Sticky trap? Should have noticed before the call was made, so just jump over it or whatever.

Really good point actually. I used to call in NS, and one thing my team realised straight away, it doesn’t matter if the call is good, bad, or even not the best; it will always go alot better if everyone’s behind it. It’s better everyone does the wrong thing together then doing the right thing apart. Organisation is crucial.

But koeitjes awful, so he probably goes in on imaginery calls.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »