Forum

The Beta Inquiry #2: The GRU

Created 21st December 2010 @ 14:17

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3

Tikcus

racio, you miss so many points it’s unbelievable ( do you only read half of posts?????).

my post was a way his last idea could be achieved…..

about speeding up over time

in as simple terms as I can manage

as the BLEED effect of the GRU reduces the Heavy’s health HE SPEEDS UP , allowing him to get to mid quickly on long maps (granary/obscure) but has less of an effect at his general movement.

If he is constantly being healed from the medic he is a slow easy target, if he is not he is faster but more vulnerable as he has lower HP

It’s not my top suggestion, but certainly worth testing along with several other ideas

RaCio

GoT²

The equalizer effect makes him much stronger in combat while slower when going to mid compared to the current gru (the health leech is hardly enough to speed him up as much as the regular gru does).

Tikcus

Quoted from RaCio

The equalizer effect makes him much stronger in combat while slower when going to mid compared to the current gru (the health leech is hardly enough to speed him up as much as the regular gru does).

Current heavy + GRU speed = 99.67%

heavy @ 300+ HP = 77% speed (normal Heavy speed)
heavy @ 294 HP = 80% speed (soldier speed) (1 second of bleed)
heavy @ 282 HP = 93% speed (demo man speed (3 seconds of bleed)
heavy @ 270 HP = 100% speed (sniper/pyro/spy speed) (5 seconds of bleed)

So after about 4 seconds he is upto current GRU speeds….

bored replying to this line i believe this or something similar should be tested, but would prefer a simple reduced health w/o bleed effect , and slower weapon switch option

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from RaCio

Good point. You’ll end up with a more mobile heavy who is a bit more vulnerable as downside. Although -hp can also be changed to for example explosive damage vulnerability. A heavy is already quite weak against scouts who pop up while he’s running and the switch delay would make it cost even more time.

Well, at first I agreed with the explosives vulnerability idea, but the awesome thing about reduced hp in general is that it gives a non-GRU heavy a great advantage over a GRU heavy, giving teams a really good reason to run non-GRU heavy to mid. Otherwise we’d just see GRU heavies on rollout, non-GRU heavies at last cp defense. With 250 base health it still takes a scout 3 meatshots. A non-GRU base health heavy can be downed in 3 thick meatshots too.

RaCio

GoT²

I know, but I saw that as a disadvantage. Heavy’s shouldn’t cancel out eachothers unlock. :p

Danzeru

Royal`
MAD

Quoted from RaCio

I know, but I saw that as a disadvantage. Heavy’s shouldn’t cancel out eachothers unlock. :p

Well technically it *needs* a disadvantage as “Heavy with GRU” > “Heavy without GRU” right now. Not flaming your opinion or anything but that’s how I see it :)

Tikcus

Quoted from Danzeru

[…]

Well technically it *needs* a disadvantage as “Heavy with GRU” > “Heavy without GRU” right now. Not flaming your opinion or anything but that’s how I see it :)

of course their should be a disadvantage to running the GRU and less health is the sensible way forward.

The worst idea i have read is a GRU heavy taking extra damage from explosives, as this would lead to a heavy not being feasible on mid, as soldiers, and demo would wipe him put even faster than they can now.

RaCio

GoT²

How would it make any difference from less health ?

-10% hp or 10% extra explosive damage?

Tikcus

Quoted from RaCio

How would it make any difference from less health ?

-10% hp or 10% extra explosive damage?

It has to be balanced for more than competitive play
health loss balances against all classes – explosive damage balances against solider and demo….

RaCio

GoT²

Which is exactly the point

Ched

.tony

Tickus and Racio could go on forever so…

In general the competitive community begged for the ‘GRU’ so that the heavy would be viable in competitive play. Now, he’s not only viable, but also very annoying. Bare in mind, the competitive community began begging for the GRU before the fairly recent buffs to heavy in general. (Faster movements speed whilst wound up, faster winding up time, smaller firing cone.) This also had a knock on effect which made Natascha a bit too viable.

Now we’re in a situation where the GRU is essentially a needed buff, way too late. I honestly don’t believe the current GRU is overpowered in any way. It allows heavy’s to build uber and to manouvre faster, but that combined with the other buffs has made him just a bit too powerful for what I’d call fair and fun play.

I’d reccommend reverting some of the previous buffs in order to balance out the GRU and put more emphasis on the skillset the heavy is meant to reward. (Carefully choosing when to, and when not to wind up.)

Danzeru

Royal`
MAD

Quoted from Ched

Now we’re in a situation where the GRU is essentially a needed buff, way too late. I honestly don’t believe the current GRU is overpowered in any way. It allows heavy’s to build uber and to manouvre faster, but that combined with the other buffs has made him just a bit too powerful for what I’d call fair and fun play.

I’d reccommend reverting some of the previous buffs in order to balance out the GRU and put more emphasis on the skillset the heavy is meant to reward. (Carefully choosing when to, and when not to wind up.)

The general consensus is that Heavy with GRU is overpowered on some mids (I play Heavy often and I’m inclined to agree.

The issue with what you’re suggesting is that it makes the GRU *necessary* to competitive play which is the kind of mentality we don’t want to enforce. The good thing with applying a health penalty to the GRU is that it makes Heavy without GRU equally viable.

The team now has a choice between a meatshield, AA turret that can reposition itself swiftly. Or one that cannot do this but is incredibly difficult to take down.

EDIT: Personally, I think we should try increasing the weapon switch time first. If that’s still a bit too OP, *then* apply the health penalty.

EDIT 2: Also Buffalo Steak no longer stacks with GRU for speed. They just patched that in.

rezOnanceUK

Üb

Reduced health sounds like the best option.

– GRU heavy = more mobile but less of a tank
– Steak heavy = quick to mid and slow after that but more of a tank.

Im not denying Tikus’ idea, that sounds like it would be worth testing.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3