Forum

Improving one's gameplay?

Created 1st December 2008 @ 10:11

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

nvc

drink lots of milk, eat your green vegetables, and then pray that somewhere back along the road you came from, your family mated with my family and therefore by a process of brief elimination you became apart of the royal nvc bloodline

gl

Evil

Yes the nvc bloodline

folding clans since 1650

nvc

:D

Waebi

‹Con›

:D to that ^

still, pickups are the best thing, guess you can rate their usefulness between pcws and dm_maps, but if you keep doing all 3 there’s a good chance you’ll get better fast.

And btw, if playing pcws: Play against BETTER teams too. You learn way more when looking at stv demos afterwards than if you roll a “lower” team. Hell we got spanked 10:1 (gifted one the last) by some guys (div1 tbh) a few days ago, but when asking what we have to improve the most, one just said “A lot”, which certainly is very helpful. >_> Watched stv demos then and already helped.

Summary: play often, play with a team. you’re not gonna like pickups once you’re getting used to your team’s tactics, but it still is a nice place and you improve still a bit, even if it’s just aiming.

Bash

Normal pickups are worthless to ~div3 and above, however.

Assault Marine Sigh

I ask this of alot of the higher level guys I have played with. Usually getting the same replies on here. I must admit I personally think I have improved since, I have yet to brave pickups but I shall give it a shot. I guess you could even offer to merc for other clans if yours isnt playing a match. Its probably better than a pickup ?

Bash

Tons better.

notger

dp.
dp.

Well, thank you all, that was clearly helpful and with lots of insight.

I will never become a second Byte or Hymzi, that is for sure, but I want to spend my time useful and I want to give my best in order to help my team.

The general consensus seems to be PCW > Pickups > Deathmatch (?) > Public.
(I am surprised that no one recommended the airshot training maps.)

Being a Demo player, pickups are difficult as there are always a lot of good Demos around, but hey, everyone needs a second class. Well, not really. One-eyed-sexiness for life. :)

And nvc, I will have a look in our genealogy (?). Maybe there was a bum that made on of my ancestors pregnant and then fled to Austria. Brr … what a chilly thought. :)

pukz

airshot maps are usefull if you have the abillity to make those kind of shots in a game,

If you are looking on improving to a mid level then u need game sense experience more than flick shot aim..

When you are mid+ and looking to become high then it’s time to work on moves like airshots but then missing an airhot in an important game is not good for your team atall.. It will often leave u wide open and out of ammo.

3 pcw’s a night is the best way to improve by far and pickups helps keep your aim consitant just like dm maps.

nvc

airshot maps are more important for hitscan players like scout and sniper – than what they are actually designed for (soldier and demoman)

Smofo

Im THAT good!

I quote strut: “There’s something about tf2 that makes it harder to spot people in your peripheral view – you will rarely surprise a q3 player in tdm but TF2 players that are fighting often don’t spot someone coming in from the side – it happenes to me too, some players are clearly a lot more aware if you watch their pov demos they are very rarely caught out even in a hectic fight. I have no advice in regards to that just something to be aware of and aim for.”

That’s the thing with TF2 you might not spot something but your teammate will and you call it in your communication and i mostly keep my eyes open for anything unusual stuff as even when im 1on1 ing lets say scout v scout in a match then i’d still look around whats going on around me, listening really helps and just keep your eyes wide open!

Iller

tGa

As a soldier I don’t like to train airshots on a map like tr_airshot since the bots don’t move naturally as they would in the game.
How often do you see a heavy flying up from a hole in a match ?
All bots fly in the same way no matter how heavy they are in tr_airshot.

It would be nice if anyone could create a good training map with soldier, demo and scout bots jumping and rocketjumping around in a more natural way.

xtala

Inexistence made a nice one, with parts from badlands and gravel in it, can’t recall the name anymore tho.

Inexistence

Üb

I’m still working on that. If you want I can upload what I have to fpsbanana? There’s a couple of bugs and I just want to redo Badlands entirely, but it still works fine.

Iller

tGa

That would be awesome !

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »