Forum

Improving one's gameplay?

Created 1st December 2008 @ 10:11

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

notger

dp.
dp.

Hi all.

After reading threads mentioning high-level players of TF2 and how they do not show up on pubs anymore yet put considerable effort into improving and maintaining their skills, I aks myself: How do they train / improve?

1. Public servers are out of the question, for often-stated reasons.
2. Pick-ups / gathers often end with either your team being vastly superior or your team being vastly inferior. That does not seem to be useful or enjoyable.

So how do they do it? Fight PWCs only? Do Airshotmaps until their eyes bleed?
What is your opinion on efficient training / methods to improve your gameplay?

Cheers
N.

skinnie

TCM

pickups and pcws thats it

and yes on regular pickups it often can be quite UNFUCKINGPLEASANT :D but just focus on your own gameplay then

Mole

DCSB
Hey dats!

Regular pcw’s/matches.

dm_store is good for a warm up or just for improving your aiming as long as it isn’t 10vs10 and lots of demoman spamming :)

kaidus

WiK?

If you’re in division 5 then I doubt your skill has developed to the point where pickups are of no use anymore. You won’t get as much out of them as you will PCWs, but when your team isn’t about they’re still the next best thing.

Mole

DCSB
Hey dats!

Don’t expect quick results. Your not just instantly good or bad. Alot of the teams at the top spent alot of time and practice to get to where they are, they didn’t just grab some players and be good, they’re there down to experience. Find a team and play play play like Vale did before becoming Druidz. Alot of those guys played Div3 and are now top players(as did alot of the guys now in Div1/high end div2) yet these days everyone wants to skip that and go right into a Div2 team.

TF2 is down to alot of decisions you make on the spot in game. Whether to push, whether to defend. Should you get that last kill or are you going to leave your team weak? Where should you position yourself?
You can have great individual skill but this needs to be teamed up with experience before you can consider yourself a mid+ player. So play as many pcw’s and matches as you can to learn this.

Dave

Mafia
wMiC?

^This

Skill is ultimately understanding the limits of your class, and how far you can go before you’ll die. The top players have been playing the game for a long time, and have developed these skills of judgement and discipline which means that they only pick fights they think they can win.

The best way to build this kind of skill is by constant practise within the 6v6 environment, and pickups are a valid means to do this. You can’t, as any class, dominate an entire team single handedly, so you have to play with your team. Even when this is hard, you still learn things. Constant practise is just the best method.

skinnie

TCM

also for players who have a lot of time like me :p : watch demos ! i used to watch demos every day (before and in beginning of vale). Also try to record sourcetv demos from your own matches and then watch them from the perspective of the other team. You can really learn a lot from that: bad pushes, playing too passive, …

strut

-=Crazy=-

There’s something about tf2 that makes it harder to spot people in your peripheral view – you will rarely surprise a q3 player in tdm but TF2 players that are fighting often don’t spot someone coming in from the side – it happenes to me too, some players are clearly a lot more aware if you watch their pov demos they are very rarely caught out even in a hectic fight. I have no advice in regards to that just something to be aware of and aim for.

Wlv

RaWr ::

join a team that will pcw a lot then constantly pcw pcw pcw pcw, experience and learning how to react in certain situations is (IMO) as important, if not more important than aim.

Pickups a good for practicing aim movement and knowing all the maps but that’s about it

snap

publics ftw tbh :)

ps. (+gathers)

Evil

Install ogc, takes like 5 mins and you will become an immense player, or buy some bluetac like mick and play sniper.

Rele

What is ogc? :P

Evil

Win juice

Nostalgia

I’m assuming it’s hax. Could be wrong.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »