Forum

Hardware Issue.. Nvidia?

Created 18th November 2008 @ 23:00

Add A Reply Pages: 1

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Couldn’t think of a better way to word the topic.

O.k where to start? I’ve recently upgraded my computer system though it performs like a downgrade.

Old specs of any significance were:

4800 AMD2 64 dualcore
ATI x1650 pro 512mb [AGP]
IDE Harddrive
1.5gb 667mhz memory

Not great I know… My new system (not much better)

4800 AMD2 64 dualcore
Nvidia 8800 GT 512mb [pci-e]
SATA Harddrive
1gb 667mhz memory (i can put in the remaining 512mb but was trying to fix this issue).

Now I know I don’t have much memory, but I don’t think it is causing the problem. My problem is, with the old card I ran TF2 at around 100fps peak, 85fps average and 50-60fps on a large dustbowl / goldrush server.

With the new graphics card and harddrive (+motherboard) i’m getting around 130 peak, 60 average and 20-30 on a 2fort, dustbowl or goldrush server. Surely this new card with the exact same TF2 settings should be performing better?

I’ve tried changing drivers, changing fps configs and stuff, but nothing seems to be helping it.

Just wondering if anyone knew of any key issues with nvidia cards and their work arounds, or any ideas to increase performance (not by buying a better CPU/Memory/whatever).

Ta!

Mole

DCSB
Hey dats!

You have changed the motherboard? Or does your mobo have both PCIe and AGP slots on it? Check none of the specs of the new mobo are below par that of your old one.

Also drop the other half gig in there just to make double sure it isnt that causing the drop. With the upgrade I wouldnt expect you to get much more fps, just to be a little higher and a little more stable.

Puppets

post youre settings here plz…. did you use youre 1650 with antialiasing and directx9 ? you should try a totall pc reinstall if you didnt do that yet (yeah drivercleaner ftw but a new install is always better)

Mole

DCSB
Hey dats!

An entire reinstall is like using a machete to cut your nails. Thats way overkill, and normally the answer for someone who doesn’t know how to troubleshoot a problem! :s No offence. I think Arx just needs to make sure his system isn’t bottlenecking somewhere first.

Check the PSU is big enough for the new card as well.

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Well it was a fresh install anyway, with the new HD etc…

I play TF2 with a tweaked up fps config, 2x AA, bilinear or trilinear filtering, lowest for everything else.

I’ve gained quite a performance increase just by uninstalling the nvidia drivers and reinstalling them again. So I guess that messed up somewhere along the lines. Still not ideal, but it’s around the same as the x1650 so i’m happy with it.

Add A Reply Pages: 1