Forum

Rule revisions (mercs and penalties)

Created 24th June 2012 @ 18:41

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Monkeh

.:ne:.

I feel having half, or more, of your team not actually part of your team makes the match invalid as the team your supposed to be playing isn’t the team you are playing, for the team to be the team that your team should be playing requires over half the team being registered with the team that your team is playing, otherwise it’s just a mix team and not the team team. Limit should remain 2.

Did I say team enough?

envy

Quoted from Monkeh

Did I say team enough?

There is 6v6 teams with 20 and more people in their rosters. How does it make them more special than a team with exactly 6 players who (all of sudden, once in the season) had need in 3 mercs? Second one looks a lot like a real team, than the first.

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from freshmeatt

So many close-minded people stating their opinions in this thread… I’m worried about your cause, skeej.

ooooh great messiah open our minds and share your wisdom

Monkeh

Quoted from envy

There is 6v6 teams with 20 and more people in their rosters. How does it make them more special than a team with exactly 6 players who (all of sudden, once in the season) had need in 3 mercs? Second one looks a lot like a real team, than the first.

If you suddenly need three mercs…use a wildcard. if your roster has 20 players on it, well done for thinking ahead and having backups who can jump in.

Key part of your post has been highlighted btw.

CommanderX

(ETF2L Donator)
TEZC

YOU ARE ALL MISSING THE POINT SO WOEFULLY

Monkeh

THEN PLEASE DO ENLIGHTEN US WITH YOUR SHOUTY POSTS!

Sketch

MM

What skeej suggested would only work imo if wildcards were reduced down to one, which would encourage people to play with mercs. Rather than wildcarding. The biggest problem I have had with etf2l over The years is organising matches, and removal of a wildcard would do wonders for timekeeping, even if it meant playing half merc half team, at least it is done in time.

Lots of teams seem scared to play their officials on time in case the haven’t practiced enough, or organised it on a day they were busy because they are retarded, or whatever reason, not allowing 3 mercs can really mess up the teams that do organise themselves around the season and maybe don’t have time to play as much when the season has finished. Atm people really don’t have an incentive to use mercs and keep to a schedule, which I think they should.

MightyMe

UbeR |

Why did Decerto get punished for breaking a rule when both parties agreed to using 1 more merc than allowed, as stated in the rulebook of etf2l. I don’t understand why an outsider ( in this case admin ) would punish decerto when all 12 players who played this match did not mind..

CommanderX

(ETF2L Donator)
TEZC

Quoted from Monkeh

THEN PLEASE DO ENLIGHTEN US WITH YOUR SHOUTY POSTS!

The point is both teams agreed

And the point is suing 3 mercs can help prevent tainted results. By tainted results I mean one team such as punchline not getting 6 points for free. Al in the name of fair competition and what not

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from MightyMe

Why did Decerto get punished for breaking a rule when both parties agreed to using 1 more merc than allowed, as stated in the rulebook of etf2l. I don’t understand why an outsider ( in this case admin ) would punish decerto when all 12 players who played this match did not mind..

Because it is a rulebreak; the question you mean to ask is “why do we have this rule”? And the answer, most probably, would be along the lines of almightybob’s post here http://etf2l.org/forum/feedback/topic-21788/page-1/?recent=391771#post-391659

Monkeh

Quoted from CommanderX

The point is both teams agreed

And the point is suing 3 mercs can help prevent tainted results. By tainted results I mean one team such as punchline not getting 6 points for free. Al in the name of fair competition and what not

I get the point, but isn’t a match against a team with 3 mercs pretty damn tainted anyways?

Maybe I’ve been excessively lucky with my etf2l experience, but in 6 seasons, ( plus AFS and a whole load of ladder matches), I’m pretty sure I’ve never had to use 2 mercs…ever and only used 1 on a very rare occasion.

I have never found it too difficult to get my games organised and played on time, especially with 2 wildcards that grant you another few weeks to finish any problem match.

Agreement between the two teams maybe should be taken into consideration, but anymore than 3 mercs would be ridiculous.

Last edited by Monkeh,

envy

Quoted from Monkeh

[…]

There is now way to tell how team is “supposed” to be with such a huge roster. People who are in are not forced to play only in time when “main” players are busy. It’s still a legitimate way not to play as a “team”. Situation is almost the same as with more than 2 mercs.

Monkeh

Quoted from envy

There is now way to tell how team is “supposed” to be with such a huge roster. People who are in are not forced to play only in time when “main” players are busy. It’s still a legitimate way not to play as a “team”. Situation is almost the same as with more than 2 mercs.

No, no it’s not. Players registered are in the team…just because they don’t play every match doesn’t mean they’re not in the team. Can Liverpool reserves play for the first team? Should LFC be allowed to draft in some Chelsea players if someone gets sick?

Silly example I know, but to suggest playing with 3 mercs, (who could easily carry hard if playing for a ‘low’ div x team when they themselves are registered in a ‘high’ div x team), is the same as playing with players from ‘lower’ down your roster is just as silly, if not more so.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from envy

[…]

Don’t forget about the rule regarding max amount of teams one can be in during a season; there is more to being in a team as backup than just being a merc.
Also, how a team treats their backups is entirely up to the team; some teams play with their backups just as often as what otherwise would be their main line-up (shoutout to 9men).

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Because it is a rulebreak; the question you mean to ask is “why do we have this rule”? And the answer, most probably, would be along the lines of almightybob’s post here http://etf2l.org/forum/feedback/topic-21788/page-1/?recent=391771#post-391659

Oh god I just read that, best explanation ever.

The whole matter could be avoided if people could learn to play 7 games (often 6 or 5 due to teams folding) in 8 weeks. I mean the Americans manage to play 16 matches in 8 weeks, we can’t even do half that here in Europe. No wonder they’re better than us.

Last edited by Hildreth,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »