Forum

[draft] (another) ladder proposal

Created 30th December 2010 @ 14:47

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from slate

When you sign up you start UNRANKED, after your first victory you will take last spot on the ladder, once ranked, you can only gain ranks, by beating teams above you, you would always gain ranks in this scheme:

IF difference in Ranks > 1 THEN difference in ranks / 2 ELSE 1.

i.e.
TEAM A (rank 20) beats TEAM B (rank 10).
10 ranks difference, so TEAM A would end up on rank 15.

What happens if you only have unranked teams?

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

You play another Unranked team and if you suceeed you get the last spot on the ladder.

thats why i said “once ranked”, although you could argue that gaining “+1” rank from unranked IS the last spot and would be covered by the scheme ;)

Spike Himself

TC

Let’s suppose there are 4 unranked teams: A, B, C and D.

Team A plays Team B – A wins and gets last spot on ladder.
Then Team C beats Team D: Shared last spot??

Team E joins. They play against Team A (who are shared last with Team C) and win — now what?

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

Quoted from Spike Himself

Let’s suppose there are 4 unranked teams: A, B, C and D.

Team A plays Team B – A wins and gets last spot on ladder.
Then Team C beats Team D: Shared last spot??

Team E joins. They play against Team A (who are shared last with Team C) and win — now what?

There are no shared spots, last spot would always be a new rank.

Lets say there are 99 Ranked teams and then your example starts. Team A would be Rank 100 after beating Team B. Team C beating Team D would then be Rank 101. Team E rank 102 and so on.

So if we did a fresh ladder, the first team to play a match and win would be rank 1.

Probably “Gets the Last Spot” wasn’t the best expression for how it would work. Could have said that better.

Spike Himself

TC

So if I understand you correctly – Team E in my example would be 1st place even though they have played an equal amount of games as the rest?

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

hmm, no. I can’t quite follow how you read that out of my posts.

If your example is: New ladder, no ranked teams.

Team A – E join the ladder and are unranked.

Team A beats Team B -> a new rank for for Team A is created, which is Rank 1.
Team C beats Team D -> a new rank for Team C is created, which is Rank 2.
Team E beats Team A -> a new rank for Team E is created, which is Rank 3.

You never go up the ladder from being unranked. An unranked team always get a new Rank (which will be the new last spot) as it is increasing the number of Ranked Teams.

Ladder after you’re example would look like this:

Ranked Teams (3)
1. Team A
2. Team C
3. Team E

Unranked Teams (2)
Team B
Team D

Spike Himself

TC

So if you’re a new/unranked team, you always get the last spot on the ladder regardless of what team you’ve beat? That doesn’t seem fair imo.

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

Well thats just how it worked there and it’s just a single game, it encourages the teams to play other unranked teams, thus filling the ladder with ranked teams more quickly.

Anyways, you could also just rank every team in order of signup, that way you would gain ranks from your first victory, as long that team signed up earlier than you.

What i really liked about this system is, that you don’t lose points/ranks from losing, so teams would be less worried to play even if they don’t have their best lineup / don’t feel good or w/e. At the same time you can drop rapidly in ranks if you’re inactive and the teams above you lose a lot.

To be fair, back then the ladder was the only competition, there was not a league alongside it, so you didn’t have to worry about teams singing up, everyone was on it and pcw’s were hardly ever played, pretty much every match was a ladder match.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

I like it tbh. A nice idea is that you have to beat those above you to advance, can’t play those below and get points that way.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from CrashSite

I like it tbh. A nice idea is that you have to beat those above you to advance, can’t play those below and get points that way.

Which means that higher ranked teams will simply refuse to play against lower ranked teams – there’s nothing in it for them if they win.

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

There is also nothing to lose…I guess that systems kinda relies on people wanting to play matches and then there this reason we’re all here for afterall “fun”.

Spike Himself

TC

We have already established that nobody wants to join the ladder.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Not much you can do if no one joins the ladder, no matter the system. The only suggestion I have seen so far that would temp ppl into playing in the ladder, is that all screenshots have to be from ladders, and to prove you are stable for new teams, get X number of games played in ladder, or something along those lines.

rtan

-9w-

just want to bump this. since the ladder is a bit stale at the moment, anyone who wants to challenge us feel free! send us an open challenge type thing and we’ll arrange it for a suitable date :)

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3