Forum

Highlander.

Created 29th October 2010 @ 13:38

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 9 Next »

ZyZo

itsallgood

Hello. I played allot of 6v6 before but now after trying out Highlander I find it much more enjoyable.
But what will happen after the tournament?
A 9v9 league on ETF2L so those who enjoy Highlander still can play it after the tournament have ended is something I and probably my whole team would join.

I know there is the ladder and it’s fun but to have a league and divisions for highlander would be even better.
One reason allot of people don’t play 6v6 might be because they simply enjoy playing spy or pyro more then then competitive classes but if we have a highlander league those people might join and ETF2L will have a much greater player base.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

ZyZo for highlander league admin!

That will make a whole load of other work to be done for our, (already), over worked and un paid admins to shoulder. Nice idea but a lot of work needed I would bet.

octochris

(0v0)

Call me a cynic, but I get the impression that a lot (perhaps even a majority) of the teams joined for the one off event and medals. I find it unlikely that a large amount would continue to play in a league with the strictness of ETF2L 6v6 judging from the general lack of organization that I’ve seen from a lot of teams over the course of the group stage and ladder.

Besides, the admins already have a hell of a lot of work to do as it is, and we seem to be currently lacking anyone who can code having access to commit to the site (me and skyride, what’s up admins), so various basic things that are currently wrong have not been fixed either. Considering they’re not even being fixed, having an entirely separate tournament going on all the time may be a bit much to ask for with no real coding experience between the current active admin set.

Spike Himself

TC

Cynic.

RaCio

GoT²

Nothing stops you from playing pyro or spy in 6v6 you know :p

Plus you can enjoy much easier logistics (managing your team, getting members ready for a match, building a team spirit and finding pcw’s).

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from RaCio

admin noob

RaCio

GoT²

Quoted from octochris

[…]

admin noob

Ha, just wait till I tell them you can switch both scouts for heavy’s.

ZyZo

itsallgood

Quoted from octochris

Call me a cynic, but I get the impression that a lot (perhaps even a majority) of the teams joined for the one off event and medals.

I think so too, but that don’t mean every one joined just for the medal.

And for the admin part; If highlander league reach the point of a possibility maybe you can ask for new admins to join and handle the highlander league?

lagi

Quoted from ZyZo

[…]

I think so too, but that don’t mean every one joined just for the medal.

And for the admin part; If highlander league reach the point of a possibility maybe you can ask for new admins to join and handle the highlander league?

But as Chris said, “we seem to be currently lacking anyone who can code having access to commit to the site”

Idea isn’t bad, but the admins should be able to code as said and have all kinds of skills that are needed to be an admin. The worst case would be that HL season had admins not doing anything at all, just banning people and not contributing anything for the site nor the community.

tesco

mrp.

there were fun cups, where you could play highlander..

RaCio

GoT²

Quoted from lagi

[…]

But as Chris said, “we seem to be currently lacking anyone who can code having access to commit to the site”

Idea isn’t bad, but the admins should be able to code as said

Not really. Creating the league on the site itself is relatively easy. Running it is a whole other story though, especially since 9v9 is much harder to sustain for teams to.

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from lagi

Idea isn’t bad, but the admins should be able to code as said and have all kinds of skills that are needed to be an admin. The worst case would be that HL season had admins not doing anything at all, just banning people and not contributing anything for the site nor the community.

Well nah, not exactly. Chris’s point is that ETF2L has nobody actively developing the site. We’ve both offered to fix things on occassions and been turned down as its apparently too much work to get us access to the codebase. Their loss anyway.

Normal admins shouldn’t have to worry about bugs in the site anyway, if someone is admin and is alright at programming, cool. But otherwise they should just be able to say “hey, this is broken” or “could you do this?” to a couple of people and leave it to them.

ashkan

First of all, let’s make one thing clear. A 7v7 (classlimit 1 of course) league is much smarter than a 9v9 league. Why?

– Easier to create a full roster and field a team for PCW’s, mixes or officials.
– Easier to communicate with 2 people less.
– Adds a tactical element in choosing which 2 classes to skip during certain stages or maps, or against certain opponents.
– There already exists a 7v7 league, in WirePlay.

There are currently 3 groups in Wireplay’s league, which isn’t much. However, this would be the different in an ETF2L league, due to the following:

– ETF2L being much more famous, and so many teams and players already being registered on the site.
– A lot of new teams from the tournament joining, especially since the tournament will be over by then. I have already spoken to a lot of teams, and many wish that a league is started after the tournament.
– The new league not being handled as a playground/testing ground like WirePlay’s league, where there were 14 maps in the pool (4 of which were completely unknown CTF maps). Having this, in combination with the fact that all unlocks were allowed, deters some teams.

Still, I’m not saying that a 7v7 league would be as popular or serious as the 6v6 league, but the popularity should rise if the league is handled well. The league will be as serious as the teams take it, with the conditions set by the admins. In worst case, it’ll be a league where most of the players (even top players from the 6v6 league) play mostly because they enjoy it (not to join an MGO, become the best team there is, and make a living off it), and the 5 other classes get a chance to make a name for themselves and enjoy playing in a competitive league. Maybe even the best new pyros and heavies will be able to perform well enough in a good 6v6 team.

Quoted from octochris

Call me a cynic, but I get the impression that a lot (perhaps even a majority) of the teams joined for the one off event and medals. I find it unlikely that a large amount would continue to play in a league with the strictness of ETF2L 6v6 judging from the general lack of organization that I’ve seen from a lot of teams over the course of the group stage and ladder.

Naturally, most teams signed up just for the medal or to try it out. I would be very surprised if the majority of the tournament teams (meaning more than 450 teams) are committed and organized enough to follow a whole season through.

Quoted from octochris

Besides, the admins already have a hell of a lot of work to do as it is, and we seem to be currently lacking anyone who can code having access to commit to the site (me and skyride, what’s up admins), so various basic things that are currently wrong have not been fixed either. Considering they’re not even being fixed, having an entirely separate tournament going on all the time may be a bit much to ask for with no real coding experience between the current active admin set.

I agree. Honestly, in my opinion, the administrators have failed somewhat on this point. They seem rather secretive about why they….. don’t do anything. I don’t get it, what’s the reason for not fixing bugs or improving features, or letting someone else do it? You’ve had a lot of time to get things done, just get it over with.

When it comes to the lack of admins, I don’t know about regular 6v6 seasons, but there’s definitely been a lack of admins during the tournament. As soon as they saw that so many teams had signed up (especially American teams), they should’ve done something. They’d already brought Flame in to help the Americans, but he didn’t do anything, and he’s still just one man. Even though they lacked the manpower, they got things done (sincerely good job, admins), but the result was that deadlines were postponed, teams got frustrated and confused, team leaders looking for help on IRC didn’t get any (or got it after a long time), and some admins had to pull long shifts when needed. I’m glad to see that regular players tried to help in any way they could, either through the forums or on IRC.

Summary: Bring new people in, break them in, groom them, teach them what they need to know (coders as well as administrators). I can’t see any excuse why not to.

Quoted from RaCio

The fact that no half-serious team would want you on their roster is an obstacle. The simple fact of the matter is that the Spy (for example) will never be eligible as a starting class in 6v6. Heavy and pyro might be viable in the future.

Quoted from RaCio

Plus you can enjoy much easier logistics (managing your team, getting members ready for a match, building a team spirit and finding pcw’s).

Correct argument. Doesn’t apply to 7v7, there’s not too big of a difference there.

Please guys, present your arguments for or against a 7v7 league. I’ve heard a couple of arguments before against it, but not any solid ones in my opionion. Let’s discuss them here anyway.

Edit: RaCio, you knew this was coming :P

pala4

I’m only for any 7vs7 or 9vs9 leagues with cl 1

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from ashkan

First of all, let’s make one thing clear. A 7v7 (classlimit 1 of course) league is much smarter than a 9v9 league.

Cool story, go create your own thread.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 9 Next »