Forum

fps_max ?

Created 27th July 2013 @ 16:11

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

4star

MONSOON
GvG

Hi,

I would like to know why people say “if u have 60 hz screen put fps_max 121 and if u have 120 hz screen put fps_max 241”

Y? If your 60 hz screen cant display more than 60 fps, why put fps_max 121 and not fps_max 60 or fps_max 61 ?

Thx :p

ondkaja

IKEA

Because since servers run at 66 tick, you need at least 66 fps to run the game properly. Therefore, you need at least fps_max 67 to accomodate for the tickrate. fps_max 121 is a nice value because it reduces screen tearing on some monitors.

But really, just use the default fps_max 300 if you are unsure where to cap your fps.

AnimaL

fps_max 0 all the way

unless ur on laptop ofc

vani

Bully

Quoted from 4star

Hi,

I would like to know why people say “if u have 60 hz screen put fps_max 121 and if u have 120 hz screen put fps_max 241”

Y? If your 60 hz screen cant display more than 60 fps, why put fps_max 121 and not fps_max 60 or fps_max 61 ?

Thx :p

Just cause your computer renders 60 frames per second doesn’t mean that they’re synchronized with the monitors update rate.

tl;dr: http://www.overclock.net/t/371648/info-explanation-of-fps-vs-refresh-rate

AnimaL

Quoted from vani

[…]

Just cause your computer renders 60 frames per second doesn’t mean that they’re synchronized with the monitors update rate.

tl;dr: http://www.overclock.net/t/371648/info-explanation-of-fps-vs-refresh-rate

That article only explains monitor hertz and fps but not what happens when you cap it at X and the way its capped. Personally I don’t like how source engine games cap fps using fps_max because they clearly loose smoothness when reaching the cap. No matter if its 120 or 240fps cap, so this is why I don’t like it. Ofc ppl will say that they don’t notice it and i can agree that going over 200+fps cap the noticeable effect is next to nothing but its still there especially if ur picky and used to butter smooth game :P

Quoted from Permzilla

[…]

why not on a laptop? I use fps_max 0, should I not be?

Heat is usually an issue with fps_max 0 on laptops… If u know what you are doing and keeping eye on temps then no problem really, its just that people usually cba doing it and qq on forums later :D

Last edited by AnimaL,

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from AnimaL

fps_max 0 all the way

unless ur on laptop ofc

why not on a laptop? I use fps_max 0, should I not be?

schocky

ist doof

60hz = 300 maxfps; 120hz = 600 maxfps; 144hz = 720 maxfps etc (hzx5)

dont believe that bullshit about rates, hz+1 2xhz+1 and so on … please.

(if u want NO screentearing at all)

Last edited by schocky,

kaidus

WiK?

Quoted from AnimaL

[…]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C11LBm75ovE&t=132

Popcorp

Quoted from vani

[…]

lol, i like how you say tl;dr and then you give a Link where u have to read even More! :P

btw, i play with fps capped to 60 and i dont see any negative effects

Last edited by Popcorp,

Quoted from Popcorp

[…]

lol, i like how you say tl;dr and then you give a Link where u have to read even More! :P

btw, i play with fps capped to 60 and i dont see any negative effects

Then you must be blind, I tried setting fps_max to 60 and I couldn’t play at all.

rockie

Quoted from AnimaL

fps_max 0 all the way

Last edited by rockie,

schocky

ist doof

guys … trust me lol :D

rockie

Quoted from schocky

guys … trust me lol :D

Actually you’re right, to me fps_max none or fps_max 300 (tf2 default) makes no difference at all, with a 60hz monitor

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Why hz*5 then? What’s so special about that?

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from AnimaL

fps_max 0 all the way

unless ur on laptop ofc

No, because if you go above a 1000fps the models and movement go crazy. Really only happens in MGE arena’s, but still really annoying.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »