Forum

Looking for wordpress coder

Created 25th February 2014 @ 20:57

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

Russian Guyovich

(Surging Meat Cable)
[T-A!]LoS

No materialised/indexed views sounds like a nightmare. Thanks for the info!

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from CHERRY

You can’t make league system without either making it depend on the theme (using theme’s functions to render league pages instead of wordpress ones) or changing wordpress core files

This is simply not true and just goes to show you have very limited knowledge of wordpress.

CHERRY

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

This is simply not true and just goes to show you have very limited knowledge of wordpress.

Yeah you might use wp_rewrite to redirect to your plugin php file, but as far as I know you can’t just create frontend plugin page.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from CHERRY

[…]
Yeah you might use wp_rewrite to redirect to your plugin php file, but as far as I know you can’t just create frontend plugin page.

add_filter( 'page_template', 'blabla_page_template' );
function blabla_page_template( $page_template )
{
    if ( is_page( 'my-custom-page-slug' ) ) {
        $page_template = BLABLA_DIR . '/custom-page-template.php';
    }
    return $page_template;
}

huhystah

What would you suggest to use instead of wordpress? The main reason I guess on why we were going to stick with wordpress, is because of twitch tv embed stream feature and few other ones.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from huhystah

What would you suggest to use instead of wordpress? The main reason I guess on why we were going to stick with wordpress, is because of twitch tv embed stream feature and few other ones.

Going by the general opinion in this thread you would have to make something from scratch in a language that hasnt been invented yet (because god forbid you use a language that has flaws)

Alternatively, wordpress will do fine for what you’re after imo. Yes, it has flaws, php has flaws, mysql has flaws.. Everything has flaws. At some point you’re going to have to be realistic though – most of these things aren’t even going to bother you unless you’re going into very technical specifics.

Your main challenge will be to find a coder that actually has experience with wordpress coding. This is important because coding with wordpress can really get messy if you don’t know where to draw the line between using a wordpress feature (which you would otherwise not know existed) and writing a dirty work-around for stuff wordpress lacks.

tl;dr nothing is perfect – you can spend the next 15 years looking for something that is perfect, or you can just deal with it and start working

Just my opinion.

CHERRY

[…]

Going by the general opinion in this thread you would have to make something from scratch in a language that hasnt been invented yet (because god forbid you use a language that has flaws)

Alternatively, wordpress will do fine for what you’re after imo. Yes, it has flaws, php has flaws, mysql has flaws.. Everything has flaws. At some point you’re going to have to be realistic though – most of these things aren’t even going to bother you unless you’re going into very technical specifics.

Your main challenge will be to find a coder that actually has experience with wordpress coding. This is important because coding with wordpress can really get messy if you don’t know where to draw the line between using a wordpress feature (which you would otherwise not know existed) and writing a dirty work-around for stuff wordpress lacks.

tl;dr nothing is perfect – you can spend the next 15 years looking for something that is perfect, or you can just deal with it and start working

Just my opinion.

You got me with previous example.
I agree that there are no perfect languages, but it doesn’t mean that you must stay with Mister Paamayim Nekudotayim :)

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from CHERRY

I agree that there are no perfect languages, but it doesn’t mean that you must stay with Mister Paamayim Nekudotayim :)

The article you linked to does highlight some serious issues with PHP, and sure you will run into some struggles regarding those. It doesn’t make programming in PHP impossible though. Every language has its quirks, some more than others (if you truly want to rage at a programming language, try VB6). This is part of choosing programming as your profession though – these are things you will simply have to deal with as a programmer.

The author of that article makes a nice analogy with a carpenter’s toolbox, but that is flawed in so many ways.. Earlier in his post he writes that programming is still a very new thing (which is very true), and then he goes to compare that to a profession that has been around since who knows when. I’m sure that when carpentry was as new as programming is now, they had weirdly shaped hammers too! And who is to say today’s hammers are perfect? Maybe we haven’t found the perfect hammer yet either :D

Stop.

Hammer time.

Anyway, like I said, PHP has some serious quirks, but that’s what gives it character imo, it’s what makes it what it is. I’ve worked with PHP since version 4.2 (10 years ago?), and of course I’ve struggled, but you get over it and you learn how to deal with it.
(at the time, the only alternative I was aware of was perl.. you know..)

Last edited by Spike Himself,

CHERRY

[…]

The article you linked to does highlight some serious issues with PHP, and sure you will run into some struggles regarding those. It doesn’t make programming in PHP impossible though. Every language has its quirks, some more than others (if you truly want to rage at a programming language, try VB6). This is part of choosing programming as your profession though – these are things you will simply have to deal with as a programmer.

The author of that article makes a nice analogy with a carpenter’s toolbox, but that is flawed in so many ways.. Earlier in his post he writes that programming is still a very new thing (which is very true), and then he goes to compare that to a profession that has been around since who knows when. I’m sure that when carpentry was as new as programming is now, they had weirdly shaped hammers too! And who is to say today’s hammers are perfect? Maybe we haven’t found the perfect hammer yet either :D

Stop.

Hammer time.

Anyway, like I said, PHP has some serious quirks, but that’s what gives it character imo, it’s what makes it what it is. I’ve worked with PHP since version 4.2 (10 years ago?), and of course I’ve struggled, but you get over it and you learn how to deal with it.
(at the time, the only alternative I was aware of was perl.. you know..)

So good I used PHP too short to get used to it (4-5 years).
I understand why it was used and why it will be around for some time, but I just won’t recommend it for any big future projects wherever it is possible, because what made it popular is what makes it so bad for me.
It became popular because it was around when the only alternative was Perl as you said, and that’s (and deployment) why most shared hostings and many customers use it, but it made it have it’s inconsistency (it’s like Perl + C + Java) and restrictions (deployment).
It has it’s place in coding history, but I just don’t see any future for it. They’ve got two ways, they can either take some serious steps to make it better and consistent, which they seem to understand (but they just care about support for legacy scripts too much) or continue heading toward computing history.
The best way would be to develop two branches of PHP (5 and 6) keeping support for old websites in 5 and conforming it to modern standards and in 6, but they seem to be arguing too much to set any goal for their scripting language.

Last edited by CHERRY,

huhystah

I found a guy whos gonna help with code and design.

Thank you for your feedback and tips.

Last edited by huhystah,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2