Forum

Highlander pickup - hl.lethal-zone.eu

Created 16th August 2013 @ 19:50

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7

EmilioEstevez

GG

Quoted from kKaltUu

[…]
The thing is, the spreadsheet IS broken, esp. for people trying to maintain it or use it for organizing mixes. There is no safeguard for players that want to mess shit up. Making it invite-only was the only way to control who got editing access to the spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet isn’t intended to be “invite only”, anybody who applies will get access. The application system is just a way to tie your actions on the spreadsheet to you so people cant try to anonymously abuse the sheet without consequences (although with a bit of digging it was usually possible to figure out who did it anyway).

Since the application system was put in I don’t think there’s been a single act of vandalism on the sheet and it had gotten a lot more active/popular in recent weeks.

kKaltUu

UbeR |
-chess-

Quoted from EmilioEstevez

[…]

The spreadsheet isn’t intended to be “invite only”, anybody who applies will get access. The application system is just a way to tie your actions on the spreadsheet to you so people cant try to anonymously abuse the sheet without consequences (although with a bit of digging it was usually possible to figure out who did it anyway).

Since the application system was put in I don’t think there’s been a single act of vandalism on the sheet and it had gotten a lot more active/popular in recent weeks.

I’m calling it invite since you need to be accepted to get edit access, the view only mode is and was available for everyone. I’m not saying the sheet is bad, I’m saying there are better ways to organize scrims and mixes than with a sheet that has seen it’s problems (even recently).

But most of all, keep in mind that the spreadsheet was the replacement for the IRC bot/channel. After that IRC channel died we had to look for something else.

There is no right or wrong way to help the current projects that help EU HL, but sitting around and saying that an alternative older system is better doesn’t help the person that’s currently putting time and effort into their project.

I think giving feedback is invaluable in the development of either the HL pickup system or TF2Center.

EmilioEstevez

GG

If its intended to cater to higher level players then it needs some sort of invite system or a way to skill police it. It’s difficult to be inclusive to new players but still try to offer decent quality games and the spreadsheet has made an attempt to do that with the way its policed and div limits on mixes (and the div limits are usually waived to give people at least one or two chances anyway), so something like that would be a welcome addition. The spreadsheet has also cut out some of the waiting around for people to turn up by allowing scheduled mixes so if that could be implemented too it’d be great.

Last edited by EmilioEstevez,

kzr_

gR.

@Aura ofc I’m not a div3+ soldier or engy, but I won’t sign up for a mix like that anyway because I like to play a balanced game and I respect that others also might want that, but does every other player think like me? I doub’t it and on spreadsheet you can see a lot of high-mid skill players underperforming on other classes;

@emilio I agree with you, there must be a place for high-skill players to have balanced games (not only pcw’ but mixes/pugs also), a place for intermediate players and a place for newcomers, and all of those places must have a tolerance in order for players to get above, if players can acess a higher leve lcasually in order to improve, the teams will improve and the diference between div’s will decrease.

Also althoug I think that pickup is a downgrade to spreadsheet, its in development and has its potencial and the more we support it the better it will get and find its place and its type of players

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from kzr_

Also althoug I think that pickup is a downgrade to spreadsheet, its in development and has its potencial and the more we support it the better it will get and find its place and its type of players

people say this but you have to understand that it’s two different things ;)

i also see lots of people talking about where the mixes at. but realistically during the past few weeks there have only been like 5 people who consistently host mixes! summer’s coming to an end and people start to be more busy :) ANYONE can host a mix really. just put it up, make an announcement, rent a fakkelbrigade server, and ask someone for a mumble!

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7