Forum

High div players joining lower divs during season.

Created 28th May 2014 @ 22:35

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 ... 14 Next »

[sarcasm]Please deny good players from playing so I can play. Theres no idea of letting the people play what division they want.[/sarcasm]

Seriously: stop this thread and go play games.

doks

Unpopular opinion puffin incoming…

I actually prefer playing against stronger teams then ours.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Quoted from doks

Unpopular opinion puffin incoming…

I actually prefer playing against stronger teams then ours.

And you can’t do “div3 on now”? You would rather have a broken division?

qnx

lala

We need the skill police squad!

Last edited by qnx,

Spreijer

CONCORDIA

div3 is not such a low level to “carry” alone. Sure, huhy’s a strong addition but if you expect to be div2/3 you should handle that. And games prove that.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Quoted from almightybob

1) under the system I proposed, any player who has never played above div4 would not be affected no matter what class they play. So the only players who might be restricted are those who have played prem – div3, a much smaller pool of players.

2) it would be fairly simple to have affected movements flagged automatically. Whenever a player plays an official in div X, their ETF2L profile is tagged (visibly or invisibly) with div X if X >= Y, their current tagged div. Then if they join a team registered in Div Z, the movement is flagged if Y > Z + 2. Thus anyone moving down more than two divisions is flagged. Any complaints about a player who isn’t flagged can safely be dismissed out of hand. In fact the system could even be set to block such movements by default until an admin can review them, giving the player an incentive to approach the admins and explain their justification for moving down rather than the onus being on the admins.

[…]

As I said, for most players it’s pretty obvious what their main class is, and in particular since this rule only affects div3+ many of the names will be relatively well-known and have an established main class.

And having a formulaic rule like the one I suggested actually makes judgements easier and quicker, not more difficult or slower. You simply apply the rule. The only difficulty might be in determining which class a player is going to play in their new lower-div team – a potential exploit would be to say you are going to play medic, but then once your transfer has been evaluated and approved, you actually play a different class.

[…]

True, but you should also have the reasonable expectation that the teams you are grouped against (when the process explicitly involves a stage of grouping by perceived skill) will be of roughly equivalent ability to you. If you’re playing in div 5 it is reasonable to expect you will be playing against teams of a div5 ability. ETF2L already acknowledges and accepts this, which is why teams are grouped by skill before the season begins.

[…]

Thanks man. I dunno I think it might take a little bit of time to set up, but it doesn’t seem all that tricky especially if it’s mostly automated. Plus I don’t know how common these situations are but I’d imagine not all that frequent.

Is there any reason *not* to do this? It seems like all upside.

Setlet

This reminds me of numlocked couple of years ago. That topic got locked though.

E: My old team had pena (old TCM player) joining us for a div3 season, and we we got the 4th or 5th place. So prem players don’t actually win you seasons and this topic is pointless.

Last edited by Setlet,

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

You have a great understanding of how to use data.

toogyboogy

(ETF2L Donator)
SOFT
bobs

adding restrictions will lower the player pool which will in turn kill eu tf2 more than it already is doing. stop bsing

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Why will it? That sounds like nonsense. Are there a huge number of high div players taking it easy in lower divisions – and are they the future? No, I don’t buy that at all.

Thalash

wG
S-O

Quoted from sheepy dog's hand

[…]

Pretty sure tviq and thalash are the same person.

Alright hold your horses (or autism ROFL)

almightybob

.ps

Quoted from toogyboogy

adding restrictions will lower the player pool which will in turn kill eu tf2 more than it already is doing. stop bsing

Surely high-level players choosing to play in lower divisions instead of playing at their own skill level will have a far greater negative impact on the top flight, since the best players are spread out across lower leagues instead of concentrated at the top?

IPZIE

SUAVE

huhy ” the best player ” johnson

Tornf4lk

cc//

Holy shit has this thread turned into a discussion that wasn’t brought up by the OP.
Last season I would have had no problem with being seeded against the team with Byte in it. They had him before the season started and were seeded into d3 with their prem player.

This is not an issue to me. The issue is people with 6 d3-skilled players being seeded in d3 and then picking up a prem player, imo raising their general skill level without having been seeded with that in consideration.

We obviously do seed our teams to try and get even divs. So this whole “get gud idiots” thing won’t work because divs should be as close as possible. Otherwise we might as well skip the whole concept of divisions. Just make it a huge tournament with single elim. If you only get to play one game vs Epsilon that’s just too bad then, you weren’t good enough d6 players. hf next time

Last edited by Tornf4lk,

huhystah

Quoted from IPZIE

huhy ” the best player ” johnson

come csgo

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 ... 14 Next »