Forum

A quick survey on cyber bullying

Created 15th April 2015 @ 16:07

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Morphine

Hello! I’m in my 2nd year of Psychology and as part of my assessment – I am looking Social identity model of deindividuation effects (SIDE). Fancy term for “the effect of being anonymous in group behaviour”/ How does being anonymous on the internet affect the way people behave in a group?

I’m focusing a little bit more on cyber-bullying. My research guideline calls for forum posts as a method of acquiring data – share your opinion here! You don’t need to answer every question – just whatever you feel like sharing.

1) What is your definition of cyber-bullying?
2) Have you experienced cyber-bullying?
3) In your opinion, how different is cyber-bullying from traditional bullying
4) Do you feel that cyber-bullying is a problem in the community? (TF2)
5) If anonymity on the internet was removed, do you think it will effect cyber-bullying?

Edit: Forgot to mention, your usernames won’t be used. I’ll name you as P1, P2, P3, etc.

1) Same as Verbal/Traditional forms Bullying, insults with a malicious intent to hurt you or purposely excluding people from a group, that sort of thing.
2) Yes, doesn’t bother me mind you when some kid is harrassing you but people do it.
3) It’s just someone being unpleasant behind a screen opposed to in your face.
4) It is for some people who are bothered by this sort of thing, if you don’t feel welcome somewhere or have a problem with certain people you won’t come back and play. Probably more a problem for younger people or females.
5) It would probably reduce, but you will always have people who bully for whatever reason.

Cheers Thanks.

Last edited by Hildreth,

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

1) As normal bullying, but through an online medium (regular harassment, threats, cruel comments with intention to upset or cause emotional distress). The odd one line of abuse or single name calling should be distinguished from proper cases against people, as cases of bullying deal with regular occurrences.

2) Yes. One (5 month long) episode of someone I knew in person is perhaps the most interesting – because it allowed them to carry out the act in a detached way. I think he may have only said something once to me in person, otherwise just ignored me.

3) By definition, not very different. In terms of the act, quite different. The anonymity, and probably that it’s usually much easier to type something than it is to physically say it. The effects are the same though.

4) Not prevalent. There’s a lot of throwaway comments in an online gaming environment, which whilst shouldn’t be there, may affect some people and not others. I generally take most things to be quite light-hearted around here. I have heard few stories of constant harassment though (i.e. not just a few throwaway comments). It does happen, and has happened, but I imagine it’s not that widespread.

5) Probably not. If it comes with proper penalties (as is slowly becoming the case) it may make some people think twice. It won’t make a difference to some though. The policing is difficult to do though, and to be honest in the case of online communities there’s a lot of kids who aren’t that mature who think it is appropriate, because the internet is full of abuse. It becomes a war of “it was just a joke” (and why odd comments need to be distinguished from continued abuse or witch hunts)

Last edited by Nymthae,

nijoonen

Gaston
8-)

Quoted from Hildreth

[…]

5) It would probably reduce, but you will always have people who bully for whatever reason.

Cheers Thanks.

ok ///kissakala

Iller

tGa

Quoted from Morphine

5) If anonymity on the internet was removed, do you think it will effect cyber-bullying?

1. Cyber-bullying is not really a term I have ever used. It’s seems rather vague.
It could be everthing from someone saying “you suck”, to cyber-stalking and serioius death threats.
I would say a one line insult in some emotional moment is not really enough to call it “cyber-bullying”. If it is something more systematical where one person really makes an effort to be mean to someone else, then it’s bullying in my opinion.

2. Sure, nothing really serious though.

3. It’s not really a big difference from irl bullying, except that the immature kids(or adults sometimes) can feel more safe hiding behind their screens while doing it.
This probably results in more bullies than irl, since people who are too scared to be bullies irl now can do it without risking any physical(or other type of) counter reaction.

4. Yes. It is however not something that is unique to TF2. All forms of bullying is a problem. And many communities are certainly much worse than TF2, which by comparasion is rather relaxed.
But I agree with Clark, kids higher up in the skill rankings sometimes seems to think they belong to some kind of nobler race and have the right to harass other kids with lower skill ranking.

5. To some extent I think it would make people think more about what they say to each other. However, it can also backfire. If you have some really nasty maniac bully that wants to find where you live and stalk you in real life, then they would love the non anonymity too.

Last edited by Iller,

Zesty

(blaster)
open
bobs

I only consider cyberbullying a real issue when it impinges on your real life in some way (e.g. leaked nudes as previously stated, people actually stalking you etc). Never had something like that happen to me.

GH0T1

♣Lesk

Quoted from jackkai

Some call it Cyber bullying. I call it Top banter.

HartzFartz

(ETF2L Donator)
0fo
0FO

Getting someone annoyed/mad for personal amusement
http://etf2l.org/forum/league/topic-31419
It takes much less to bully online but it also much easier to get away from it. Like move your cursor to the top right and hit M1 once. so Its easier to walk away or just laugh it off.
No
No, theres are several cases of cyberbullying without the anonimity.

Thalash

wG
S-O

Quoted from HartzFartz

Getting someone annoyed/mad for personal amusement
http://etf2l.org/forum/league/topic-31419
It takes much less to bully online but it also much easier to get away from it. Like move your cursor to the top right and hit M1 once. so Its easier to walk away or just laugh it off.
No
No, theres are several cases of cyberbullying without the anonimity.

hl pleb

HartzFartz

(ETF2L Donator)
0fo
0FO

Quoted from Thalash

[…]
hl pleb

exactly people like you who keep bashing b33p

Forty-Two

LOOΠΔ

Bullying done through the web

Not first-hand, no. There are always people being asses on the internet, but just that doesn’t qualify as ‘cyber-bullying’.

Very little. The way I see it, it’s just another tool being use to achieve an end, bullying. It has the added benefit for the one being bullied that direct physical harm isn’t involved, but threats can still be made. Added downsides would be the lower ‘entry level’, and I suppose that, if people use the internet as their final beacon of hope and support (which, to be fair, is ill advisable, but still quite common), it takes away the last ‘safe’ place.

I vaguely recall some dramas I thought were unnecessarily awful, and some individuals being harassed for various ‘reasons’, but nothing ridiculously out of hand (not the entire community starting some weird self-justified bullshit fest digging up personal information and all that nonsense). Bullying is always an issue in pretty much any community, and though, to my knowledge, the TF2 community doesn’t suffer from it too much, there still is some. I’d say it’s always good to strive to make it disappear entirely in any community. It might be an unrealistic goal, but the closer a community gets to it, the better. All progress would be an improvement, even if the ‘end goal’ is realistically unachievable.

Not at all. It might deter some of the people who don’t really dare doing anything unless they’re anonymous, but it would also have the potential to make the cyber-bullying that does take place escalate. Anonymity might make it easier for random people to join in, but it also acts as somewhat of a shield for the one getting bullied (of course there’s always cases of people finding out personal information anyway, but let’s assume that’s exceptional and not the norm).

Good luck with your assignment, hopefully the infos from all these people is useful!

hi im cupcake

(ETF2L Donator)
notdoggo
hi im dog

I witnessed perm getting cyberbullied irl
http://imgur.com/jdnDX22

torrit

does tf2 nerds stalking my family count as cyber-bullying?

Thalash

wG
S-O

Quoted from hi im cupcake

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Last edited by Thalash,

Arcticcu

Bullying that happens over the internet and is done by people you know IRL, or people that can somehow affect you IRL. I don’t really consider it bullying (or at least not serious bullying) if two anonymous people shit talk each other, because it doesn’t affect your real life; you can always switch your name to avoid it, or just not log on. It has to have consequences in your “real” life for me to consider it bullying.

No, because I don’t use online services that require me to identify myself.

3) In your opinion, how different is cyber-bullying from traditional bullying?

Only the platform used for the bullying is different

No, because most people are anonymous to some degree, so they can easily escape any perceived bullying. See 1).

Not at all, because 1).

Last edited by Arcticcu,

antso the helper

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cyberbullying-is-a-joke-Quit-your-crying-and-grow-a-pair/101080739935848

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »