Forum

Brink

Created 8th May 2011 @ 22:43

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 18 19 20 ... 31 Next »

Orchid

|=3

tay told me about a brink multiplay pickup chan? or something like that? Is there a chan already?

JimmyB

FNR!

Quoted from Orchid

tay told me about a brink multiplay pickup chan? or something like that? Is there a chan already?

That would be great. Would really like to try Brink out on a more competitive side, pubs seem to be a stompfest all the time.

Skyride

DUCS

Theres 2 chans atm. One is started by some random dude (herp derp i can google “pickup bot”), the other one is run by the guys who used to run #tfc.pickup and #ff.pickup, but they haven’t finished modifying their bot to work with brink yet.

JimmyB

FNR!

Quoted from Skyride

Theres 2 chans atm. One is started by some random dude (herp derp i can google “pickup bot”), the other one is run by the guys who used to run #tfc.pickup and #ff.pickup, but they haven’t finished modifying their bot to work with brink yet.

Thanks! #brink.pickups is the one with the most people (around 200) at the moment and it seems to be going well, theyll also add mumble in the future.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

We ‘played’ a 5v5 match last night with some guys off someone’s friends list. Was a massive stomping as we had literally, no clue.

Was still fun though and I’m convinced this game has some potential.

Personally not had one issue with lag or bugs or anything, slightly jittery FPS at times but I turned down the graphics a bit and it’s nice and smooth now. Looking forward to learning the game/maps etc and playing it properly.

KOVACS

The more I read about this game the more it seems that it is fundamentally flawed and will be complete trash as a competitive title.

For starters, why is the main selling point of the game – the “revolutionary” SMART movement system – almost entirely detached from the actual combat?

This is an epic fail from a game design perspective, and its cause seems to be rooted in a recurring theme that is gradually emerging – massively dumbed down gameplay geared towards making the skill ceiling as low as possible at the expense of decent fundamental mechanics.

Practically everything related to combat results in dramatically slower movement – shooting, reloading, jumping etc. Combine this with generic hitscan weapons that are incredibly easy to use and the potential for a respectable skill ceiling in ALL elements of gameplay is inherently compromised.

Maps which are packed with defensive bias and repeatedly funnel the attacking team into small chokepoints for clusterfucks just compound the issue even further, likely resulting in core gameplay comprising fights where more often than not the victor is the player that spots and sprays the opponent first. Great for baddies but fucking abysmal as a basis for dynamic and rewarding skill based competitive gaming.

I’m all for team based combat in first person shooters, but in this case I get the overwhelming impression that it’s contrived at the expense of important gameplay elements, for example the potential of an individual to “clutch” which is a fundamental component of every self respecting competitive FPS game I can conjure up. Sadly this game seems to have been designed with the intention of negating this ability as much as possible.

By comparison TF2 has pretty much the perfect balance between teamwork and individual skill. It’s nigh on impossible to carry a team as an individual as typically a TF2 team is only as strong as it’s weakest links but that doesn’t prevent a skilled individual on the losing team from outplaying his opponents for the entire duration of the game.

Last edited by KOVACS,

KLar

okie

brink .exe stopped working after the update gg

Anathema

A big LOL to this game. Utterly dreadful in every single aspect.
The new smart movement system is brilliant. You hold down a button and your character jumps over boxes and stuff. Revolutionary, especially considering you run at about three kilometers per hour. Takes absolutely no skill whatsoever. Console port all the way.
Thank fuck I didn’t just buy it straight away.
This game has no chance at all of making it as a competitive game, or a pc game for that matter.

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from Anathema

A big LOL to this game. Utterly dreadful in every single aspect.
The new smart movement system is brilliant. You hold down a button and your character jumps over boxes and stuff. Revolutionary, especially considering you run at about three kilometers per hour. Takes absolutely no skill whatsoever. Console port all the way.
Thank fuck I didn’t just buy it straight away.
This game has no chance at all of making it as a competitive game, or a pc game for that matter.

there are pcw played, also I saw crack clan and epsilon making their brink teams..

IPZIE

SUAVE

Quoted from rytis

[…]
also I saw crack clan and epsilon making their brink teams..

http://www.imagebanana.com/view/f5fmitcd/neuer.jpg

minimoose

glad i didn’t buy

Sketch

MM

Quoted from KLar

brink .exe stopped working after the update gg

mumble overlay

for some reason i bought this game despite hating it.

Its actually good :p it just needs some bugs fixing, no more than tf2 did on its release tbh. There is nothing so far which makes it unplayable in anyway for me with the ati hotfix installed.

i5 @4.2ghz
4gb ddr3
crossfire 4850’s

it seems like after buying this that people are having the problems mainly with the 360 version and not so much the pc version. most of the shit talk is just that some people like to hype a game up and then its released the same group of people like to rip the shit out of it.

yeah its not perfect. but tbh so far it has provided what they said it would. lols of people seem to have the perception that it owuld be a quake beater for speed and precision movement, or a tf2 beater. but really its just brink: A cool movement system where there are significant benefits to learning to not rely on the push and hold button btw!

It does make a nice change to have a natural movement system. the game doesnt always seem to focus on the animation of it so much as making sure you can do the movement freely. which imo is a good way to prioritise things. I was worried that i may not be able to do specific things if the game couldnt find the specific animation for it etc.

anyway. all in all despite early small bugs:

– ati hotfix
– problems with low fps in crosfire (i’m not affected)
– a few minor general bugs/ crashes (nearly all have fixes already and tbh tf2 gets these every update, so grow some balls and deal with it, you cant say you arent used to it lol)
– mumble overlay (not brinks fault)
– forwarding ports! OMG end of fucking world!

all in all nothing took me more than 5 minutes to resolve. and its a decent team game. atm I don’t think there’s any chance of me dropping tf2 for it. but hey who knows! I haven’t tried the comp yet

Last edited by Sketch,

Sketch

MM

Quoted from KOVACS

Maps which are packed with defensive bias and repeatedly funnel the attacking team into small chokepoints for clusterfucks just compound the issue even further, likely resulting in core gameplay comprising fights where more often than not the victor is the player that spots and sprays the opponent first. Great for baddies but fucking abysmal as a basis for dynamic and rewarding skill based competitive gaming.

I’m all for team based combat in first person shooters, but in this case I get the overwhelming impression that it’s contrived at the expense of important gameplay elements, for example the potential of an individual to “clutch” which is a fundamental component of every self respecting competitive FPS game I can conjure up. Sadly this game seems to have been designed with the intention of negating this ability as much as possible.

the problem is you have only read this. and probably the people you have read this from have also probably just jumped on the hate wagon like everyone else.

tbh what more do you expect other than tight corridors and indoor spaces. the whole movement system is based on being able to navigate these types of areas at a reasonable speed as to dodge enemy fire. if you had wide open spaces it would not work.

in my experience spraying and praying gives terrible accuracy in this game. controlled bursts take enemies out much faster. the movement is there to give good players an advantage, its just different to what you are used to. class based play is essential and teamwork is a must. pub play has been less bad for teamwork so far imo than catching a bad server in tf2.

KLar

okie

Quoted from Sketch

[…]

mumble overlay

no, i didnt even start mumble

Danzeru

Royal`
MAD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBQqD8mv0XM&hd=1 this is beautiful. With things like mantle cancels and incredible walljumping, the SMART system – though not on par with some of the jumping mechanics from Quake and Tribes – still has huge potential if you think outside the box.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 18 19 20 ... 31 Next »